Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Postby boshaw » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:10 am

Audiosmurf wrote:I'm noticing some weird behaviour of autostacking when trying to shift+right click mixed stockpiles. Trying to reproduce but having a hard time figuring out what causes it. What caught my attention was I attempting to pick up a pile of hides, it stacked only the pig hides and I wound up with several single separate goat/horse hides. I was able to reproduce similar behaviour with multiple other piles, at varying levels of severity, but each one autostacked fine after setting the stockpile back down and picking it up again.

Edit: It's got to do with how full your inventory is, or its dimensions, I think.

Happens too when splitting blocks into sticks. It'll for some reason stop auto stacking the branches and fill your inventory with singles as it gets closer to filling
boshaw

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:22 am

xyzzy57 wrote:With the current version of the standard client I have to open the equipment screen, and hover the mouse over the belt to bring up a rectangle with the belt contents. This rectangle won't stay on the screen. It disappears when I take the mouse pointer out of it. E.g. to drag something in and out of the belt.

[Edit to add: if this is what you mean by mentioning "mouseover," I guess I assumed this would be *in addition* to being able to open the container normally and persistently, rather than *instead* of being able to open the container persistently.]

Wow. I fired up the default client and this is, in fact, the way it works now. This is just plain idiotic. Why in the world would anyone want to be forced to open and keep open the equipment screen, just to access the belt through mouseover? That actively makes interfacing with the game worse, nigh unplayable. Consider reverting that aspect, if not most of this.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby _Scipio » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:23 am

Consider adding a toggle for the item inventory preview functionality. Currently it can prevent you from clicking on your intended item when the preview for the inventory pops up. For example a coin purse in the toolbelt.

And as mentioned the toggle for auto stacking would be great.
mizdirector89 wrote: No, their version of 'interrogating' was just saying 'speak up, you better talk' over and over while they killed our characters.

Warriors of Annihilation
_Scipio

Postby Guattro » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:33 am

It seems that it is now impossible to hang things on walls.
Guattro

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:46 am

Please let me right click to open belts again, these mouseover inventories are so obnoxious to detach
DDDsDD999

Postby HarryDresden » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:02 am

+1, we should be able to hover to preview, it shouldn't be the only way to interact.
Yes, I am a Wizard.
loftar wrote: bear fruit is not something I can predict,.

Beborn Beton wrote: "Don't Worry, They Won't Find My Body, I Want You To Know I Found Peace In Another World."
HarryDresden

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:08 am

Out of curiosity, what was the reasoning behind this change? Specifically, what need does this address?

Mouseover menus are objectively inconvenient, adding more mouseclicks to a given action (including detaching the menu, apparently). Autostacking is also inconvenient, adding more clicks. Stacks themselves seem situational, at best. I thought that about the bundles, too--I didn't have much call to use them. They just meant more clicks. Stacking seems the same.

I mean, if the issue here is inventory size, then just increase inventory size. Why add so many extra hurdles? As it is, the experience has been made less appealing for what seems no real gains.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby _Scipio » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:16 am

And uh.. if this isn't already the case.. please have outlawed characters stay offline after a server crash until they are logged back online. Nobody really wants to wait up or stay on standby after a server crash just to prevent an outlawed character in a vulnerable position from dying.

just sayin
mizdirector89 wrote: No, their version of 'interrogating' was just saying 'speak up, you better talk' over and over while they killed our characters.

Warriors of Annihilation
_Scipio

Postby ksetrad » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:08 am

Perhaps the solution would be the following mechanics for the belt:
Single click on the belt - opens the window. Hover without click - works as it is now.
Discord of Nurgling custom client : https://discord.gg/3YF5yaKKPn
ksetrad

Postby leeharvy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:32 am

just roll back this entire stack idea give every one from the getgo 1+1 extra row in inventory, boom done, supper simple.
but for real let us toggle this "new feature" off,
breaking the toolbelt is a punch in the dinger as well.
is the dev mad at the few of us playing ?
leeharvy

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements