Game Development: Strawberry Turpentine

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Strawberry Turpentine

Postby Slowwalker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:46 am

strpk0 wrote:I think you haven't been reading the explanations people are giving on why the new system is bad, and why this suggestion would be even worse.

Wait. But this also makes it possible to take at once everything that is offered, including the rare and valuable, but not all at once for the victim. A kind of balance between what it was and what has become.
I do not harbor the illusion that "the weak will defeat the strong", but even then the player-gatherer will have a better Exploration than the player-fighter.
Slowwalker

Postby strpk0 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:48 am

Slowwalker wrote:but even then the player-gatherer will have a better Exploration than the player-fighter.

I can understand why you would think this, but I assure you this is not the case, unless said player-fighter has been deliberately raising their character terribly.
In reality, a player-fighter would have several magnitudes more of the stats you mentioned than any casual/forager player.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby Kirche » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:49 am

There doesn't need to be some contrivance to looting, just keep it simple, revert the change, no cooldown needed, no fancy system to replace it.
Kirche

Postby jordancoles » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:47 am

Kirche wrote:There doesn't need to be some contrivance to looting, just keep it simple, revert the change, no cooldown needed, no fancy system to replace it.

Yep. You won the minigame by downing the opponent. If anything the KO timer should be longer before they can hearth home.

(Also you should probably be allowed to hearth if you're KO'd in the water, which is a much bigger issue than dry-looting people)
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby azrid » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:51 am

Great nerf to loot scripts! Another step towards the right direction.
I don't see why anyone would need those shitty beaten up armors or mrobes and tsacks lmao.
You still get shit that actually matters like rings.
azrid

Postby strpk0 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:54 am

azrid wrote:Great nerf to loot scripts! Another step towards the right direction.
I don't see why anyone would need those shitty beaten up armors or mrobes and tsacks lmao.
You still get shit that actually matters like rings.

It's not always about needing the items, it's also giving meaning to the PvP or inconveniencing/punishing the person you just KOed. If you can't straight up kill people after you down them in 99% of cases, then atleast it should be possible to send them back home wounded and requiring a new set of gear and a new set of curios.
PvP without full looting someone feels very bland, specially if a numbers advantage means they get to port back home with most if not all of their gear meanwhile you were risking everything the entire time. Might aswell run from every unbalanced encounter at that point and not even bother.

strpk0

Postby azrid » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:08 am

strpk0 wrote:It's not always about needing the items, it's also giving meaning to the PvP or inconveniencing/punishing the person you just KOed. If you can't straight up kill people after you down them in 99% of cases, then atleast it should be possible to send them back home wounded and requiring a new set of gear and a new set of curios.
PvP without full looting someone feels very bland, specially if a numbers advantage means they get to port back home with most if not all of their gear meanwhile you were risking everything the entire time.

Those people you used to full loot with a script don't care about losing the trash parts of their equipment page. They have amazing industries that can replace everything with ease.
People who can't replace things as easy were small groups and hermits. I don't see a problem throwing them a bone sometimes. Our bois in sprucecaps have gone through a lot.
strpk0 wrote:Might aswell run from every unbalanced encounter at that point and not even bother.

This already happens my dude.

This change is purely good. Unless you are one of the people who got used to full loot script or enjoy hunting hermits for literal trash(snugglesnail and jordancoles).
azrid

Postby strpk0 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 am

azrid wrote:Those people you used to full loot with a script don't care about losing the trash parts of their equipment page. They have amazing industries that can replace everything with ease.
People who can't replace things as easy were small groups and hermits. I don't see a problem throwing them a bone sometimes. Our bois in sprucecaps have gone through a lot.

lols

Clearly, this is one of the people you mentioned that don't care about loot whatsoever, not at all the same people who threw a hissy fit and complained to the devs after they didn't manage to loot someone in time and proceeded to pretend like the last 2 years of PvP loot/dropping scripts havent been widely used.

azrid wrote: I don't see a problem throwing them a bone sometimes. Our bois in sprucecaps have gone through a lot.

loftar wrote:To be sure, I never really viewed it as "loot protection", "leniency" or "forgiveness". The real goal was arguably just to make it a bit more of a game to loot someone than just click-a-button-and-it's-done -- to add a bit of a challenge to it. Clearly the looting part is an important part of PvP (you all seem to agree), and I generally think that it ought to be more fun when it's something that you can be more or less good at, which can have more varying degrees of success rather than a Boolean "looted or not" outcome; that was the whole intention. Feel free to suggest alternate suggestions that fulfill the same goal.

/your argument

I don't know why people are still showing up to praise this change as if it was some needed further leniency to PvP or for sprucecaps when loftar already mentioned this wasn't their goal with the change at all. If anything, if people are taking it this way then mayhaps this is further confirmation that it's going to negatively impact whatever risk remains to PvP as some people already predicted and needs to be reverted.
Last edited by strpk0 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:38 am, edited 9 times in total.

strpk0

Postby jordancoles » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:19 am

azrid wrote:
strpk0 wrote:It's not always about needing the items, it's also giving meaning to the PvP or inconveniencing/punishing the person you just KOed. If you can't straight up kill people after you down them in 99% of cases, then atleast it should be possible to send them back home wounded and requiring a new set of gear and a new set of curios.
PvP without full looting someone feels very bland, specially if a numbers advantage means they get to port back home with most if not all of their gear meanwhile you were risking everything the entire time.

Those people you used to full loot with a script don't care about losing the trash parts of their equipment page. They have amazing industries that can replace everything with ease.

The bone they've been thrown is not dying in every pvp encounter where they are knocked down.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:55 am

"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements