Game Development: A Far Green Country

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: A Far Green Country

Postby Vaulxis » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:27 am

jorb wrote:
Juuday wrote:How many of those 1000 are free players Jorb? They'll be gone when their 60 free hours are up and they'll see you next month if you're lucky for a fraction of that.

A decent number of them certainly will be.

... but more than one will also subscribe, &c&c. The only question on my mind is where the balance is, and I think it's much too early to tell.

I would not at all mind if the game stayed small and stable for a good while while we iron out kinks and make it better, so a big population is certainly no goal in and of itself.

Eventually the game either sinks as a professional project, or it swims. If it sinks then, well, I can live with that.

The game is awesome and needed building, and I will always have it no matter what.

Mission accomplished. Anything else is gravy.

Man, the perfect balance would be buy it one time, with a cool ass cosmetic shop with the losing them on death that you currently have, the majority of people like me angered would be cool with that and supportive, and those who are subbed will be cool with it too for the most part(There'll be some who are upset unless you refund them)
Vaulxis

Postby whitdemon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:27 am

jorb wrote:
Juuday wrote:How many of those 1000 are free players Jorb? They'll be gone when their 60 free hours are up and they'll see you next month if you're lucky for a fraction of that.

A decent number of them certainly will be.

... but more than one will also subscribe, &c&c. The only question on my mind is where the balance is, and I think it's much too early to tell.

I would not at all mind if the game stayed small and stable for a good while while we iron out kinks and make it better, so a big population is certainly no goal in and of itself.

Eventually the game either sinks as a professional project, or it swims. If it sinks then, well, I can live with that.

The game is awesome and needed building, and I will always have it no matter what.

Mission accomplished. Anything else is gravy.

blacklisted, never gona buy anything from you 2, im sure others will do the same.
enjoy said gravy...
Morpheus: I imagine that right now, you're feeling a bit like Alice. Hmm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?
Neo: You could say that.
Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
whitdemon

Postby loftar » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:27 am

Bidstrup wrote:
p4tr3g wrote:15. And you right. It's great.

15 indeed

The bronze subscriptions are cheaper than the game-time items, though.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:27 am

jorb wrote:I didn't say it was dead, your reading comprehension is lacking.

I have more than one official document establishing the complete opposite of this statement, good sir.

It's already down from 1400, and that's just the people on the forums before launch. I doubt you'll even have half that many people by next week.

I don't see why you're so intent on killing a great game with a terrible payment system.

It's down from the initial bum-rush, thank God, yes. Who knows where it'll be in a year.

From my perspective monetization is a prerequisite for this game's life as anything but a personal project.

I don't really care about the near term, nor about people who throw tantrums just because everything isn't immediately to their liking.

Nothing we do is set in stone. If the store truly sucks as it is, and we come to agree that it does for whatever reason, then we will certainly change it.

This is our first iteration of it. I want to see how it does, and what light a mature critique -- as opposed to knee-jerk nonsense -- sheds on it, before I do anything about it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby p4tr3g » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:28 am

If you havn't 5$ per month price is not your biggest problem xDDD
p4tr3g

Postby jorb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:29 am

Kronicstrafe wrote:It will sink and you will be unhappy that you arent making money. You will make it free and no one will wanna touch this game because they know the devs are fuckwits

I am entirely fine with this potential outcome.

Have a good day.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby mentalyll » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:29 am

Delet
Last edited by mentalyll on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mentalyll

Postby Vigilance » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:29 am

jorb wrote:
Kronicstrafe wrote:It will sink and you will be unhappy that you arent making money. You will make it free and no one will wanna touch this game because they know the devs are fuckwits

I am entirely fine with this potential outcome.

Have a good day.

Jorb, are you okay?

This isn't the beanie brother I remember. Not one bit.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby LukeSkywalker » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:29 am

jorb wrote:
jorb wrote:I didn't say it was dead, your reading comprehension is lacking.

I have more than one official document establishing the complete opposite of this statement, good sir.

It's already down from 1400, and that's just the people on the forums before launch. I doubt you'll even have half that many people by next week.

I don't see why you're so intent on killing a great game with a terrible payment system.

It's down from the initial bum-rush, thank God, yes. Who knows where it'll be in a year.

From my perspective monetization is a prerequisite for this game's life as anything but a personal project.

I don't really care about the near term, nor about people who throw tantrums just because everything isn't immediately to their liking.

Nothing we do is set in stone. If the store truly sucks as it is, and we come to agree that it does for whatever reason, then we will certainly change it.

This is our first iteration of it. I want to see how it does, and what light a mature critique -- as opposed to knee-jerk nonsense -- sheds on it, before I do anything about it.

Knee-jerk response. :lol: What did you expect from overnight monetization, man? :roll:
LukeSkywalker

Postby Bob_the_Cat » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:30 am

And to everyoen crying over 10 bucks and saying that nobody will ever pay that much when they could play something """""better""""" Theres this thing called a "whale". And it is someone who will pay any amount for a game they like. I play mechwarrior online, and a mech pack pre order is 200$+ sometimes. and my friend still buys them... So theres no doubt in my mind that some people will sub. And 1 subber still makes more money than a free game.
Bob_the_Cat

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements