Legacy Haven

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Legacy Haven

Postby loftar » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:06 pm

Vigilance wrote:so in a hypothetical world where you nuke the old cert i can just do this and not curse your name.

I would like to stress that it's not a hypothetical world, it really does need to be done. The OS that the Legacy server runs is already so old that the update repositories are 404. If anything, I've been drawing it out much too far already, and if I were you, I'd update the certificate now and only log in during the new-certificate times instead. I'll probably lengthen the new-cert durations as time goes on (2h new/1h old, and on on).
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby zefearus777 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:50 pm

loftar wrote:
Vigilance wrote:so in a hypothetical world where you nuke the old cert i can just do this and not curse your name.

I would like to stress that it's not a hypothetical world, it really does need to be done. The OS that the Legacy server runs is already so old that the update repositories are 404. If anything, I've been drawing it out much too far already, and if I were you, I'd update the certificate now and only log in during the new-certificate times instead. I'll probably lengthen the new-cert durations as time goes on (2h new/1h old, and on on).

1 hour was alright, but 2 hours and eventually more is going to suck.
zefearus777

Postby loftar » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:31 pm

zefearus777 wrote:1 hour was alright, but 2 hours and eventually more is going to suck.

Again though, I have to emphasize that the 1h/1h solution wasn't intended to be permanent. The old certificate is going to need to be removed completely in the not too distant future. If your client is entirely unmaintained and you really don't want to switch to anything else, I can only re-recommend what I wrote above, that is, to manually replace the certificate. This would be done by replacing the file haven/authsrv.crt in the client Jar file with the corresponding file from the new (non-Legacy) client. Again, Jar files are just Zip files, so you should be able to use any Zip program to manipulate them.
loftar

Postby Oddity » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:09 am

Vigilance wrote:
loftar wrote:I have noticed people connecting during the times of the new certificate, though, so it would seem there might be at least one soul working on them.

in this vast, wide, open graveyard how am i going to find this soul

https://discord.gg/QG9HgS7X join us, my brother
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby zefearus777 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:26 pm

loftar wrote:
zefearus777 wrote:1 hour was alright, but 2 hours and eventually more is going to suck.

Again though, I have to emphasize that the 1h/1h solution wasn't intended to be permanent. The old certificate is going to need to be removed completely in the not too distant future. If your client is entirely unmaintained and you really don't want to switch to anything else, I can only re-recommend what I wrote above, that is, to manually replace the certificate. This would be done by replacing the file haven/authsrv.crt in the client Jar file with the corresponding file from the new (non-Legacy) client. Again, Jar files are just Zip files, so you should be able to use any Zip program to manipulate them.

I wouldn't mind to switch to something else, is there anything else?

I manually unzipped the jar file in Union and found the old certificate, but I'm not able to find the new certificate. When I extract the autohaven file there's no certificate within it.
zefearus777

Postby loftar » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:02 pm

zefearus777 wrote:When I extract the autohaven file there's no certificate within it.

Right, that's because that's the launcher file, rather than the actual client. Having run the launcher, it will have downloaded the actual client Jar file to your %LOCALAPPDATA%\Haven Launcher\cache\https\game.havenandhearth.com\java\ directory. Or, it's available here, quite simply. Alternatively, the certificate file itself can be found directly in the client source code.
loftar

Postby zefearus777 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:56 pm

loftar wrote:
zefearus777 wrote:When I extract the autohaven file there's no certificate within it.

Right, that's because that's the launcher file, rather than the actual client. Having run the launcher, it will have downloaded the actual client Jar file to your %LOCALAPPDATA%\Haven Launcher\cache\https\game.havenandhearth.com\java\ directory. Or, it's available here, quite simply. Alternatively, the certificate file itself can be found directly in the client source code.

I see! Lol! It's working now!

I've never used Java much, until I played this game.
zefearus777

Postby loftar » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:03 pm

zefearus777 wrote:I've never used Java much, until I played this game.

Quite understandable, if anything I should have been more clear. The Launcher is a Haven thing anyway rather than a general Java thing, so a broader familiarity with Java would hardly have helped to begin with. :)
loftar

Postby loftar » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:14 pm

From what I can tell from the logs, it seems the vast majority of people are now able to log in during the times of the new certificate, so I'll try using it permanently from now on, unless someone screams.
loftar

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:23 pm

jordancoles wrote:Just pls keep the game itself going thank you

Wouldn't stop if you asked me to.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements