Game Development: Rollin'-rollin'-rollin'

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rollin'-rollin'-rollin'

Postby sabinati » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:34 pm

jorb wrote:I think loftar is more keen on glancing off objects, and smoother transitions like that, so something like that may happen sooner-ish, but again, I'm not sure it's a priority.

Jackard wrote:Yes, that's all you really need.
sabinati

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:36 pm

El-wook wrote:Thanks for being honest.

I try to be. If you feel that pathfinding is completely clutch to your game experience then I don't want to keep you around on false expectations of future development or whatever. Our dev priorities are bugs and feature parity with old haven in the first instance, and fun content in the second. We want to do that for a while before tackling some of the big improvements/major new systems that we have planned.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Darruin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:43 pm

jorb wrote:some of the big improvements/major new systems that we have planned.

Any hints?
Darruin

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:47 pm

Not really. I don't want to give too much away, we honestly haven't decided where we are going next, and people tend to construe too much out of stuff I say, but...

Seasons, weather, better housing and general object representation, more customization of looks and objects, increased rendering distance.

Dragons.

Some of the things we talk about from time to time, with complete reservations and all applicable caveats available attached.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby susan_strong » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:56 pm

jorb wrote: and people tend to construe too much out of stuff I say, but...

Dragons.

Noice, we gonna get viking boat from old haven too?
susan_strong

Postby Felkin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm

jorb wrote:Dragons.

inb4 daily cd raids with loot tables./s keke
Felkin

Postby wolf1000wolf » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:29 pm

Felkin wrote:

I'm more expecting dragons that if you anger will wipe out entire villages...
wolf1000wolf

Postby Granger » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:46 pm

Felkin wrote:
Moretimer wrote:
Felkin wrote:Have you been playing this game for only 7 days by chance? :)

Nah, 3days. Already lost 4 players not to perma death but the game's obnoxious movement for players.
Can I not have an opinion because I don't play as long as you?

Um.... So you're arguing about this game's mechanics with people who have played it for over 4years with only 3 days of experience? I'm out, good luck to the rest who actualy want to keep going at this troll.

But since he's new he is able to look at it with new eyes, and his observation that it sucks to get stuck at edges and corners constantly has merit in my view.

bubba wrote:You do not have the knowledge of the game to see what it truely effects just like if I cam into a game you have played for 5 years and I played for 3 days and said something was broke that from my point of view and is actually valid point of argue to be changed from my perspective but from your more experienced perspective you can see how it hurts the game in many other terms.

I have seen a bit more of it, used custom clients, scripted the shit out of it.

Pathfinding is nice since it removes constant annoyances from the game experience. Constant annoyances are things that drive people away.
This is why noone who ever used a custom client with pathfinding went back to one without (except maybe for special occasions like raids, because the other client had better combat support), since it completely turns off that you're constantly stuck at corners and small objects in the way.

Dziqz wrote:Even ultima had better pathfinding then this one. If you don't want to go back to the 50 people you had in h&h1 and keep on dripping players left and right you'd do well to think why exactly people walk away from this title.

I tend to get RSI from H&H, so i take everything that cuts down on clicking, and pathfinding removes a lot of clicking while doing the standard day-to-day things H&H consists of > 99.9% of the time (the rest is combat).

So it also solves (or at least lessens) a health issue.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Garfy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:21 pm

jorb wrote:Not really. I don't want to give too much away, we honestly haven't decided where we are going next, and people tend to construe too much out of stuff I say, but...

Seasons, weather, better housing and general object representation, more customization of looks and objects, increased rendering distance.

Dragons.

Some of the things we talk about from time to time, with complete reservations and all applicable caveats available attached.

You have to make it so everything made from wood or stone has an appearance based on the materials used to make it.

EVERYTHING
Garfy

Postby g1real » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:47 pm

wolf1000wolf wrote:
Felkin wrote:

I'm more expecting dragons that if you anger will wipe out entire villages...

Rather, trade them lots of gold and sic 'm on enemy villages or the raiders raiding yours. :twisted:

Any dragon worth his salt would do anything for his gold-producing village.
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements