Game Development: Spit'n'Polish

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Spit'n'Polish

Postby jonamaster » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:21 am

So, no more 360noscoping foxes? Damn, i should have recorded that moment, it was hilarious af.. I was frustrated because i couldn't kill a single fox with a 90% aim bar (3 times in a row) so i started derping around while alt-clicking. After a full 720° BAM there you go, i missclicked the fox (with an empty aim bar) and it died in a single hit. My friend still laughs hard when we talk about that :lol:
jonamaster

Postby Marksman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:29 am

Perfect!
Thanks!
Marksman

Postby Avu » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:19 am

jorb wrote: We are not entirely sure how farming and potential crop selection should ideally work to be the most fun and engaging. Feel free to discuss.
Enjoy!

This version of all plants going -2+5 while being reliable over long run means you need double the crop fields size and completely different times or locations to push q to be engaging. Might work on a big village but it needs too many moving parts to be worth the hassle. I think the old system of random seeds is better just give us the tools. Big bags/seedpouches/buckets whatever with options to draw highest seeds by overall q or individual q type. In fact all containers should have such systems by default. We do it with custom clients anyway. Personally I used cupboards in a cart for q sorting. Maybe a dedicated farming tool. Huge inventory and I mean huge that only takes crop products and it automatically sorts them by your conditions. Actually I think I love this idea most.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Granger » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:26 am

Avu wrote:Maybe a dedicated farming tool.

The allmighty sieve that was requested so often in the past.
Two settings: what quality type and quality high/low.
Then operate on a container to return one seed per hourglass (should be reasonably quick) of the configured properties into inventory.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby JusTalionis1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:19 am

loftar wrote:
CSPAN wrote:New farming

Except for adding a bias towards higher quality, we didn't change farming tonight. The text was merely a clarification of how it has worked since the start of the world.

Maybe, but many thought it was a bug and will correct

So now, if I like selection farming cultures, I need to make a 10+ fields at a distance from each other to see which is better quality for each harvest?
JusTalionis1

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:26 am

sakiji wrote:The primary annoyance of farming was the insane click fest, and unless I'm missing something -that's still in, just as it was before.
You need to right click/harvest each individual crop, as opposed to selecting an area to be harvested.
You need to plant each individual crop by clicking a distinct tiles empty tile

No. Shift+right-click a pile of seeds and you get an area effect cursor to plant a whole field.
Shift+right-click a plant ready for harvest and you get an area effect cursor to harvest all plants of that type.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Orcling » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:29 am

jorb wrote:
sakiji wrote:The primary annoyance of farming was the insane click fest, and unless I'm missing something -that's still in, just as it was before.
You need to right click/harvest each individual crop, as opposed to selecting an area to be harvested.
You need to plant each individual crop by clicking a distinct tiles empty tile

No. Shift+right-click a pile of seeds and you get an area effect cursor to plant a whole field.
Shift+right-click a plant ready for harvest and you get an area effect cursor to harvest all plants of that type.

Now if only your character would autostockpile everything to stockpiles if they were within the selected area :lol:
Orcling

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:29 am

Salinn wrote:I'm also experiencing the no-boil clay cauldron. It's been 20 minutes so far.

Accidentally'd the tick length and as such moved the boiling point of the cauldron. It should still start boiling at some point, but will be fixed.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Lojka » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:34 am

new farming system is ok if you don't mind how fast your crops should progress

just stack them in one bucket, till they all be equal quality, and then they will be equal quality every iteration...

but what with "bad" iterations ? so today i got +5 and the next day -2
this way i should store and replant the iteration when it was +5 (without -2)
and if won't degratde, i again should transfer all stored seeds from (+5) and replace them with new seeds, for situation if 4th iteration will degrate...
so not very casual....

maybe keep this system, but make "same Q field" more tiny

like every 4x4 grid will have same Q changes

so it will be less randomness, but still not chaotic
Lojka

Postby aikidragon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:57 am

Excellent how the game is getting better. Now give us hats!
aikidragon

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements