Game Development: Spit'n'Polish

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Spit'n'Polish

Postby g1real » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:40 am

LadyV wrote:
jorb wrote:We've been developing, and here's what's new.

Mechanic Clarifications
-----------------------
Each batch of a crop which is planted in the same area (roughly two minimaps), time (roughly five hours), and of the same type(carrots, peas, barley, &c), will be given the same random quality modification uniformly, and planted tiles of that batch will thus all have their qualities affected in the same way. This was intended to reduce what we perceived as the simple hassle of having to inspect each seed stack individually, and then perform the rather boring operation of simply selecting the best one. If you wish to maintain different crop "strains" -- presumably to have more samples with different random seeds to select from when replanting -- you may do that by planting several different fields at distances in time or space. We are not entirely sure how farming and potential crop selection should ideally work to be the most fun and engaging. Feel free to discuss.

Not a fan of this at all. If I want seed diversity I have to create separate groups of two just to get different group that trend up. If I mass group they have the same q. So if one trend down they all do due to being adjacent. Honestly give me seed sorting i much rather have consistency than this. Even with its annoyances. :(

Oh fuck, and here I was mixing seeds of different quality variations with my highest quality seed to get more differently seeded seeds in my plot. I think the mechanic was a somewhat interesting initial stage of crop breeding and making WWWs useful beyond the start of the world. But I guess not.
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby gradclone » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:25 pm

g1real wrote:
LadyV wrote:
jorb wrote:We've been developing, and here's what's new.

Mechanic Clarifications
-----------------------
Each batch of a crop which is planted in the same area (roughly two minimaps), time (roughly five hours), and of the same type(carrots, peas, barley, &c), will be given the same random quality modification uniformly, and planted tiles of that batch will thus all have their qualities affected in the same way. This was intended to reduce what we perceived as the simple hassle of having to inspect each seed stack individually, and then perform the rather boring operation of simply selecting the best one. If you wish to maintain different crop "strains" -- presumably to have more samples with different random seeds to select from when replanting -- you may do that by planting several different fields at distances in time or space. We are not entirely sure how farming and potential crop selection should ideally work to be the most fun and engaging. Feel free to discuss.

Not a fan of this at all. If I want seed diversity I have to create separate groups of two just to get different group that trend up. If I mass group they have the same q. So if one trend down they all do due to being adjacent. Honestly give me seed sorting i much rather have consistency than this. Even with its annoyances. :(

Oh fuck, and here I was mixing seeds of different quality variations with my highest quality seed to get more differently seeded seeds in my plot. I think the mechanic was a somewhat interesting initial stage of crop breeding and making WWWs useful beyond the start of the world. But I guess not.

Exactly the same for me, and was thinkin' after some inital disapointment that it was a "ok" system : grow a few quality seeds apart from big fields, try to improve fields by replanting good seeds the color you want.
But mehhh 2 minimaps? wtf, you need to have a LOT of gardens, each one far from any farmer, to get a chance to improve crops and keep it for future pr your other fields. Think a minute about what is really necessary with this system to keep quality improving. That's totally fucked up. Why not 2 tiles ? What's the use of 2 minimaps? Or make the system apply only for a field (a field would be defined as : all plowed tiles connected)
gradclone

Postby Mashadar » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:51 pm

gradclone wrote:Or make the system apply only for a field (a field would be defined as : all plowed tiles connected)

Yes, this would really be the best way. It allows people to do farming however they want. They can either have one big field if they want it easy or they can have several small ones to push different qualities.
Mashadar

Postby jaguar » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Necroliter wrote:I suggest to scroll camera as close as possible and look directly at the target when you aim your shot.

Good suggestion. I will try this.
May be there is some bug? Did somebody noticed that when you try to destroy object you can't hit it until you scroll camera closer?
jaguar

Postby Bandicute » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:33 am

Necroliter wrote:
FireFox wrote:
Jesus_Smith_Nandez wrote:That being said, you can also shoot someone 100% of the time with any MM at melee range, which is why it's broken rn.

But you can't shoot anything with 100% chance from 2-3 tiles already. I missed 10 times in a row shooting from 5 tiles. Missed 5 times in a row from 2 tiles. I was also able to miss shots from melee range...
I really hate archery mechanics for the moment cause It's affected only by random.

I can reliably shoot from 5 tiles away with 15 MM. Usually 4 out of 5 hits the target. I suggest to scroll camera as close as possible and look directly at the target when you aim your shot.

Yes I've found that often when shooting things it may look like you're facing the right direction but it is merely the camera angle tricking you. Best way is definitely to zoom in as close as possible and make sure that the shot is aiming up correctly.
Bandicute

Postby pestilence » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:48 am

This is result of smelting iron ochre with all metallurgical skills. I did six attempts and got 0-2 bars in each. There is no difference with old smelting, skills do not add anything. WTF?
pestilence

Postby Sartharion » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:06 am

pestilence wrote:This is result of smelting iron ochre with all metallurgical skills. I did six attempts and got 0-2 bars in each. There is no difference with old smelting, skills do not add anything. WTF?

It's luck-based. I usually get 3-4 bars with iron ochre. Are you sure that isn't OLD ore?
Pavelly wrote:Rise and shine, Jorb&Loftar. Rise and... shine. Not that I... wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has... come again.
Sartharion

Postby jaguar » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:28 am

Ore should be new? :shock:
jaguar

Postby frederickvael » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:33 am

jorb wrote:Bears should be killing you, and only for want of better AI do they not.

Make them able to climb up/down cliffs and non-tree obstacles and people will start dying quickly.
frederickvael

Postby pestilence » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:46 am

Sartharion wrote:It's luck-based. I usually get 3-4 bars with iron ochre. Are you sure that isn't OLD ore?

Ore was new.
frederickvael wrote:Make them able to climb up/down cliffs and non-tree obstacles and people will start dying quickly.

They also must be able to swim.
pestilence

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements