Game Development: Valhalla Rising

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Valhalla Rising

Postby naosnule » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Amanda44 wrote:It's cool, but, when do we get the crafter paradise where every available material, including silver and gold , are laid out in never-ending stockpiles around a central arena where we can build, craft and decorate to our hearts content ..... :D

Plus unicorns and rainbows .... :lol:

Well, if you can find a such place in Norse mythology, you have a good case, otherwise no.
naosnule

Postby DaniAngione » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:17 pm

naosnule wrote:
Amanda44 wrote:It's cool, but, when do we get the crafter paradise where every available material, including silver and gold , are laid out in never-ending stockpiles around a central arena where we can build, craft and decorate to our hearts content ..... :D

Well, if you can find a such place in Norse mythology, you have a good case, otherwise no.

Hmmm, nope?

The hall is clearly different from the descriptions of Valhalla you find in the mythology. The exterior part is clearly not Asgard. And respawning weapons/armor was never mentioned. So we have enough evidence that the mythology behind Haven & Hearth is 'loosely' based on norse mythology (and some other ancient world cultures) and being 'loosely' based it opens up opportunity for change.

Besides, in the end, it's a game and it's up to Jorb and Loftar. As far as we're concerned, they are the gods here.

And to end my case, here's your plausible evidence (if you're so desperate for one): there are ~9 worlds on Yggdrasil, and they could be easily accessed with the bifrost. Some of them were never fully explained or worked and are pretty much open for creative freedom, like Vanaheimr, which is also a godly land or Nidavellir, the world of the dwarves - that are known to be incredible crafters - One of them can be a builder paradise we can go. Case closed.

:)
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby lachlaan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Want lore for a building/tech simulator? Mimir's Well. Take a sip, learn(simulate, experience) how to make the houses in all material combinations :P
lachlaan

Postby VDZ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Amanda44 wrote:Plus unicorns and rainbows .... :lol:

The unicorns will be hyper-aggressive (as well as stronger than bears and aggroing one leads to aggroing every one in the area), and the rainbows will be in the way everywhere and removing them would cause cave-ins.
VDZ

Postby Strandmullen » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:24 pm

Seems pretty good, especially the combat changes. Removing the chop-instakill was great, but I do think the delta cap needs some kind of overhaul because of the possibility for someone with huge stats to get slaughtered by alts with very little effort put into them.

I feel like Valhalla is a fine addition to the game, but I would have preferred it if you prioritized things that are available to more people in this early stage of the game. I think Valhalla would have made more sense to add a couple of weeks/months down the road.

The great hall looks like so much fun to build, I'm just a little sad I would feel like I'm wasting my time and resources on it.
Strandmullen

Postby spectacle » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:29 pm

jorb wrote:
Avu wrote:Are baked goods cheaper yet?

There are patch notes, cat.

Valhalla is useless, I get it, I get it.

This has to be done I guess ;)
Last edited by spectacle on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A Social History of Planet"
spectacle

Postby LaserSaysPew » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Does Great Hall have bonfire inside?
LaserSaysPew

Postby loftar » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Strandmullen wrote:I do think the delta cap needs some kind of overhaul because of the possibility for someone with huge stats to get slaughtered by alts with very little effort put into them.

There may well be a case to be made, and we may still change it. We're just not sure yet. There are also several possible ways to change it, and we'd have to choose among them.

It should be noted, however, that there's no actual "cap" -- having better stats always improve the delta. It just has very harshly diminishing returns.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby nethack » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:33 pm

naosnule wrote:

Unicorns and rainbows are up for debate. I'll grant you that. But "crafting every avalaible metal, including silver and gold", not a Norse mythology thing ? Bitch please.
From : "Iron Age Myth and Materiality: An Archaeology of Scandinavia AD 400-1000", page 151

Edit : page 151 actually
Last edited by nethack on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nethack

Postby venatorvenator » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:35 pm

Your sovngarde thing needs more oaks pls change

Thanks for the update!
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements