Game Development: Valhalla Rising

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Valhalla Rising

Postby The_Lich_King » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:53 am

Crap i am gonna need to up my int.
Also if you send your character to valhalla then can you still inherit his claims?
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:20 am

Yes.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Undefined » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:22 am

Playing with it for a while, I really don't like this cooldown. It would be a good thing if it just influenced combat with another hearthling, if it were lower or if animals were also prone to a period of idiocy when engaging in combat, but a 1.8s cooldown at combat start against an animal is far too high and really breaks the flow of combat.
Undefined

Postby burgingham » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:34 am

I don't see a big issue with it tbh. It should be usually you initiating the combat. That means you can do it on your terms. The aggro range is long enough to set up an initial defense before they reach you.
burgingham

Postby Undefined » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:53 am

I generally get about 3.3ish seconds before the animal reaches, so that's the 1.8s 'Duh, wot sword do?' cooldown, during which you queue something like quick dodge causing a 1.2s cooldown, during which you queue watch its moves, then the animal is in melee so gets a hit to your defense, so really you should re-raise that before you can decide what to actually do against the defenses the animal has raised without the 'Duh, how I fight?' cooldown.
Sure it's not that hard but it's also idiotic and feels clunky.
I understand why it was implemented, I actually argued for a solution to players being able to initiate combat and immediately CHOP someone to death, my solution was to auto-green defense at combat start. It was a weakness in the combat system that had to addressed, why such an overkill solution that leaks into other elements of the game?
You can grab a bow and 1 shot animals with 10 MM or trap them in a ridge, but if you want to fight them in melee you are immediately put at a 1.8s disadvantage, it makes no sense at all to me.
Undefined

Postby The_Lich_King » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Can you still inherit your claims with another char if you send this one to valhalla
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby rye130 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:45 pm

The_Lich_King wrote:Also if you send your character to valhalla then can you still inherit his claims?

jorb wrote:Yes.

Can you read? Or do you just always ask the same question twice? Can you read?
rye130

Postby Kaios » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:46 pm

The_Lich_King wrote:Can you still inherit your claims with another char if you send this one to valhalla

Jorb already answered yes to you, though he did not elaborate much I suppose. I assume that you can still inherit your character like normal AND have a character to send to Valhalla, the two aren't connected in a way that if you do one you can't do the other.
Kaios

Postby The_Lich_King » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Kaios wrote:
The_Lich_King wrote:Can you still inherit your claims with another char if you send this one to valhalla

Jorb already answered yes to you, though he did not elaborate much I suppose. I assume that you can still inherit your character like normal AND have a character to send to Valhalla, the two aren't connected in a way that if you do one you can't do the other.

Yeah i know sorry for asking the same question again just wanted to see if i could get specifics.

The_Lich_King

Postby Granger » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:45 am

Undefined wrote:I generally get about 3.3ish seconds before the animal reaches, so that's the 1.8s 'Duh, wot sword do?' cooldown, during which you queue something like quick dodge causing a 1.2s cooldown, during which you queue watch its moves, then the animal is in melee so gets a hit to your defense, so really you should re-raise that before you can decide what to actually do against the defenses the animal has raised without the 'Duh, how I fight?' cooldown.
Sure it's not that hard but it's also idiotic and feels clunky.
I understand why it was implemented, I actually argued for a solution to players being able to initiate combat and immediately CHOP someone to death, my solution was to auto-green defense at combat start. It was a weakness in the combat system that had to addressed, why such an overkill solution that leaks into other elements of the game?
You can grab a bow and 1 shot animals with 10 MM or trap them in a ridge, but if you want to fight them in melee you are immediately put at a 1.8s disadvantage, it makes no sense at all to me.

Now that insta-chop is gone the delay isn't needed anymore, right Jorb? At least not as penalty to the one engaging, i guess...

Some time to think about the cards dealt would be nice though, but this should be for both sides:
2-3 sec wouldn't hurt so you have time to come up with a tactic.

Since animals don't need it (since the AI dosn't get dealt a hand, i suspect, or at least won't have to parse the image to decide which card to play) the time could be used for a nice eek/bark/hiss/fizz/grunt/growl sound+animation for the respective critter at start of PvE (instead of just silently charge the character and try to eat it as-is now).

So please: just give both opponents the moment to select the first card.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements