Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Postby Oddity » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:09 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
Delamore wrote:I think structured resets based on the actions of players in the game would make haven more fun and healthier for the playercount.

However, I can see both sides of the argument. I think the current path being pursued, where the world purifies itself as old villages and claims get abandoned is the perfect form of 'reset'. I've seen barren worlds full of ruins so tightly packed together there's nowhere to set your own claim. (Hyperbolicly, it was never THIS bad, but it often made sense to build on the ruins of others than to start your own).

They've talked about paving slowly being devoured by the wilderness, houses fall down RELATIVELY quickly (though stone mansions take their sweet time), and eventually even unclaimed brick walls fall to the ravages of time. Refinement of this process will have the world renewing itself.

[...]

In short -> The world needs to handle the 'reset' process, with the old factions that have withstood the test of time still being able to continue on.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39469&start=70#p524302
by jorb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:32 pm
Ideally the world would be able to seamlessly rejuvenate itself in all aspects.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1128
jorb wrote:A permanent cycle of death and rebirth would fit the game's theme very well. I've considered implementing a natural cycle of Great Sunderings -- complete map and character reset -- which could only be prevented through massive, epic level, rituals of world rejuvenation, which anyone would then be free to assist in, or work to prevent.
That would be pretty cool, but it's far off. I agree with the people who have been pushing for a character reset in that, with the completion of the major roads between the settlements, and the near closing of the frontiers, map development has stagnated somewhat. The initial land rush of a few weeks ago was a lot of fun to watch, and It'd be great if those experiences could be integrated into the backbone of the game, rather than being one off events. It might conflict too much with people's ambitions to create lasting values to be doable, but at least we'd be creating a very unique game environment.

I'm sure it's not a high priority for jorb/loftar right now. But I hope they will at least try something like that, some day.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Sevenless » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:52 am

Yes! That's awesome!

Sandbox games need rejuvenation through world resets in some form. Ultimately the power base of the strongest becomes un-opposable, and resetting everyone to the same level inspires competition again. Making it into a game mechanic would be a perfect longterm solution.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Lojka » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 am

Sevenless wrote:Yes! That's awesome!

Sandbox games need rejuvenation through world resets in some form. Ultimately the power base of the strongest becomes un-opposable, and resetting everyone to the same level inspires competition again. Making it into a game mechanic would be a perfect longterm solution.

so why not just whipe the strongest ones ?)
Lojka

Postby Procne » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:58 am

Lojka wrote:

Cause then people start gaming the system so that they do not seem the strongest one. Or it simply feels like a punishment for being too good.
Personally I like the travian system the most - there is a goal to achieve, who does it first wins, and then server is restarted. With multiple servers running at the same time. Whether it would be feasible and good in hafen - I don't know.
Procne

Postby Myrgard » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:15 am

The solutions in the new Haven have significantly reduced the growth rate compared to the previous worlds making a wipe more distant in my mind, also the main purpose of wipes in terms of this discussion is the need to get rid of old and supper powerful fighters that can't be matched... thats no longer the case.

Even now, just little more than 6 weeks into the world, if you try to solo a pure fighter with an all purpose main you're going to lose but with the addition of delta-scaling two 100 UA fighters will bring down a 500 or 1000 UA behemoth. Delta is a pain in many regards but it does make wipes much less important then before.
Myrgard

Postby Sevenless » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:45 pm

Lojka wrote:

Because that's not fair. *shrugs* There's no incentive to become the best if it'll just get your village nuked by an asteroid.

As to character destruction: No not really. It has a lot to do with who gets control over powerful nodes. Quality still matters, even if it advances slowly. More so in cases where fighter alts become disposable. Beyond that it's just a way of freshening the world. The starter zone is a wasteland, and as the months advance this wasteland will expand slowly.

I'm not talking soon, I've said at many times "12-16 months after world launch" is roughly when Haven seems to need a wipe.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Gauteamus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:50 pm

Doggerland resets would be sweet!
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:25 pm

I would rather see world "rejuvenation" be a seamless process of decay, death, and catastrophe forcing players to rebuild and lose their shit than a "world reset."
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Bowshot125 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:22 am

Droughts - Less water/Faster decay
Even quality shifts, say a quality 100+ clay node is shifted elsewhere. The world changing can bring much more than a handled reset.
Bowshot125

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:53 am

Bowshot125 wrote:Even quality shifts, say a quality 100+ clay node is shifted elsewhere. The world changing can bring much more than a handled reset.

As long as they aren't predictable, I'm all for this. (If anyone has played ATITD in depth, I think they'll get what I'm referring to.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Announcements