Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Postby Darruin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:59 am

What's the recipe for the stitching?
Darruin

Postby CaptainMidget » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:00 am

RickyP602 wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
CaptainMidget wrote:I dont think you are understanding what I am trying to say Ricky. Have you done farming or made baked goods before? This isnt a good thing. Its a ridiculous OP thing. Baked goods will now be way to easy to spam. I am easily pleased by everything this game does, but not when they take away the effort vs reward.

I'm forced to agree, given the output of fields before vs. after, that this has gone the way of the redonkulous. While realism is rarely a good argument, It only requires two tiles of barley to produce 1kg of barley flour, which is *half* what it should be on period farming practices.

Now, the production per tile is nearly triple what it is with modern farming methods (based on one sq meter of barley with modern strains, cultivation, pest control, and fertilizing methods).

That is, IMO, a bit extreme. 14/15 seeds would at least have kept it at one seed per tile.

Who the hell cares about how many tiles*, do you even know how big a tile is in the game as vs real life? It's a damned game, not a farming simulator.

Ricky, you need to stop biting the head off of us as soon as we try to talk about how OP the new changes are, but actually think about what we are trying to say. A 20*20 Barley Field yields 3600 seeds after you put 5 back into the soil. Now think about how much Flour you can make out of 3600 seeds... its a stupid amount, its ridiculous.
CaptainMidget

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:02 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
CaptainMidget wrote:stuff

stuff

whatever encourages botting, id say boo.
Tonkyhonk

Postby RickyP602 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:02 am

What does it matter? Make less fields then? You going to stuff yourself with bark bread or something? You still need the other ingredients, make more pumpkin fields with the tiles you don't need for wheat. It worked in legacy at a better ratio. You going to smash a bunch of bread then do it. It's much less tedious than before. It's also much better for begining farmers without the big skills. I don't see a problem, if you have too much wheat, don't plant as much and do something with the space.
RickyP602

Postby Banok » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:09 am

much PRAS
Banok

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:16 am

CaptainMidget wrote:The challenge vs reward was one of the main reasons I play this game.

Well, it's not exactly a "challenge" to maintain a 100 tile barley field vs. a 20 tile one. Of course, the amount of space spent on various things matters in various ways, but it hardly makes it more or less challenging.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:20 am

Who the hell cares about how many tiles*, do you even know how big a tile is in the game as vs real life? It's a damned game, not a farming simulator.

Uhm... yes.. I do actually. So should you, it's on the landscaping survey tool.... It's been that way since World 3 at least, and I suspect since the launch of the game.

A tile represents 1 sq meter, and that's where I collated my data.

(Which in case you were wondering makes a Supergrid approximately 5km on a side, making World 3 45*45 km, for a total land area of 2,025 sq kilometers... Unknown how large this world is yet, I don't have that data.)
Last edited by Lunarius_Haberdash on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Sevenless » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:21 am

loftar wrote:
CaptainMidget wrote:The challenge vs reward was one of the main reasons I play this game.

Well, it's not exactly a "challenge" to maintain a 100 tile barley field vs. a 20 tile one. Of course, the amount of space spent on various things matters in various ways, but it hardly makes it more or less challenging.

This is just bringing back the tile per flour output ratio of legacy. I have no idea why people are pulling a hissy fit over this, it never felt unbalanced back then.

I personally appreciate it. I've heard of larger villages maintaining 2000 tile barley fields and that is just ridiculous. This makes a lot more sense, and frankly the secondary ingredients still keep the various flour based foods in check.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby CaptainMidget » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:24 am

loftar wrote:

But you do understand what we are trying to say with how 5 seeds to grind flour is a ridiculously small amount, right? A small 20x20 field yields 9 seeds per tile after you put 5 back into the ground to replant, giving you a total of 3600 seeds to grind into flour. That is so much flour, its absolutely ridiculous.
CaptainMidget

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:27 am

CaptainMidget wrote:5 seeds

If that is what bothers you, I can change it so that you get 100 seeds per tile and need 50 to replant instead. Getting 10 grains of seed per tile is also ridiculous, arguing from realism. The intention wasn't ever really to interpret "10 seeds of barley" as 10 actual grains, but more like an abstract amount.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements