Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Postby CaptainMidget » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:36 am

loftar wrote:
CaptainMidget wrote:5 seeds

If that is what bothers you, I can change it so that you get 100 seeds per tile and need 50 to replant instead. Getting 10 grains of seed per tile is also ridiculous, arguing from realism. The intention wasn't ever really to interpret "10 seeds of barley" as 10 actual grains, but more like an abstract amount.

Its the fact that you've made baked goods far to easy to acquire.
CaptainMidget

Postby Kaios » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:37 am

CaptainMidget wrote:Its the fact that you've made baked goods far to easy to acquire.

how many people do you feed because it doesn't sound like that many
Kaios

Postby CaptainMidget » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:38 am

Kaios wrote:
CaptainMidget wrote:Its the fact that you've made baked goods far to easy to acquire.

how many people do you feed because it doesn't sound like that many

CaptainMidget

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:40 am

loftar wrote:
CaptainMidget wrote:5 seeds

If that is what bothers you, I can change it so that you get 100 seeds per tile and need 50 to replant instead. Getting 10 grains of seed per tile is also ridiculous, arguing from realism. The intention wasn't ever really to interpret "10 seeds of barley" as 10 actual grains, but more like an abstract amount.

Which is precisely why I presumed this number to be abstracted, myself. I don't care how many seeds per tile we get, I prefer a manageable ratio of seeds per tile to flour output, and three kg of flour per tile just isn't reasonable in any way. It takes "Holy shit how big are these farms and inefficient the plants" to "Holy shit can we get some shit like this in real life, GMO doesn't hold a candle to this plants output."

Balance is one thing, but this went too far.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Kaios » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:41 am

CaptainMidget wrote:10.

well I don't know what you're complaining about then because:

1. If you're actually using all your barley on one or only a few types of different food instead of a large variety that's crazy; and
2. You need to feed those 10 skeletons more.
Kaios

Postby CaptainMidget » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:50 am

Ok, if my maths are correct..

basic low maitnence 20x20 field gives 3600 seeds after 5 go back into the soil.
Thats 72 stacks of 50.
5 seeds give .50kg
You get 5kg per 50 seeds.
So thats 360kg flour for 20x20 field.

Do you now understand how much we get for a basic field?

If my maths is wrong, please correct me. Not my strong point.
CaptainMidget

Postby TeckXKnight » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:01 am

That's 480 pumpkin pies worth of flour. That's slightly more than 1 pie per tile per 2 days. What's the problem? It takes all of 5 minutes to make like 6 boar sausages.
Why do you feel so strongly that 400 tiles of farming should produce 90 pies? That's not even difficulty or complexity, it's just grind.
TeckXKnight

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:03 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:Which is precisely why I presumed this number to be abstracted, myself. I don't care how many seeds per tile we get, I prefer a manageable ratio of seeds per tile to flour output, and three kg of flour per tile just isn't reasonable in any way. It takes "Holy shit how big are these farms and inefficient the plants" to "Holy shit can we get some shit like this in real life, GMO doesn't hold a candle to this plants output."

Well, we could take real world numbers and apply them to how much barley we get per sq m, divide by the number of seeds you get per harvest, and that's how much seeds weight...

I can't speak for barley without looking it up (48 lbs to a bushel), but typical wheat harvests in my neck of the world is about 40 bushels (60 lbs, or 27.25 kg) per acre (4046 sq m). An acre would be around 63x64 tiles. US Ag report says barley is about 45 bushels per acre. Have fun doing the math if you want "realistic" numbers.

I see Teck and CaptainMidget made my last point already, so deleting it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby CaptainMidget » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:05 am

TeckXKnight wrote:That's 48 pumpkin pies worth of flour. You're getting ever so slightly more than 1 pie per tile per 2 days. What's the problem? It takes all of 5 minutes to make like 6 boar sausages.
Why do you feel so strongly that 400 tiles of farming should produce 9 pies? That's not even difficulty or complexity, it's just grind.

I am more then certain your math is off there Tech, before the patch I could've gotten 71 pumpkin pies for my field.

.75 * 480 = 360. 480 pumpkin pies for 3600 seeds.
CaptainMidget

Postby TeckXKnight » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:06 am

Yeah I fucked up in that post and cut the 0 on the 480 and the 90. That was my bad. The point still stands. Who gives a shit?
TeckXKnight

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements