Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Postby jorb » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:58 am

g1real wrote:
Can now load mirkwood logs onto Wagons.

Hah, what? I could do that before this patch.

You could perhaps load it onto a cart before the patch. That is something else, however.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Grable » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:20 am

TeckXKnight wrote:
Grable wrote:more int food ples

Make more blueberry pies and fox wurst.

the blueberry pies are evil and only give perc
Grable

Postby Jeff » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:28 am

Asgaroth22 wrote:Anyone figured out what's needed for stitch patch?

1 cloth, 2 strings, 1 metal nugget, 2 bone glue.
"I'm just an humble farmer, after all"
Jeff

Postby TeckXKnight » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:30 am

Grable wrote:the blueberry pies are evil and only give perc

They give Int and Per. Quite a bit of both but mostly Int.
TeckXKnight

Postby Kimparo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:01 am

Sweet, we can heal up fully now!

The changes to barely sound more along the lines of "Do the people who can't pay want to use a fair bit of their time doing this..?" I'd much rather have an over abundance of seeds and flour than too little, just enough, or a 'lil more than enough.

Also, saying anything in this game is hard, is a lie. The only hard part in this entire game (besides trolls..maybe?) are other people. Without anyone to get in your way, you WILL basically 'win'. End of story. Every survival game is like this unless their set up to kill you no mater what.
Kimparo

Postby jorb » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:12 am

One of the things that ensures that the game is never hard is that it never forces itself on the player. All animals can more or less always be avoided, your settlement is never attacked or otherwise engaged, &c&c. Philosophically this is one of the things that I'd like to do something about, that is to say I'd like it if the game tried to engage the player from time to time, although I'm admittedly not entirely sure how to go about that.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby TeckXKnight » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 am

jorb wrote:One of the things that ensures that the game is never hard is that it never forces itself on the player. All animals can more or less always be avoided, your settlement is never attacked or otherwise engaged, &c&c. Philosophically this is one of the things that I'd like to do something about, that is to say I'd like it if the game tried to engage the player from time to time, although I'm admittedly not entirely sure how to go about that.

Learn from Tree of Life, don't just randomly have the world level player bases over night. It's not fun or quirky. Either you're online and deal with it no sweat or you're not online and your base is now gone.
TeckXKnight

Postby slava1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:17 am

Cool update. Thanks for barley and healings.
slava1

Postby jorb » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:19 am

TeckXKnight wrote:Learn from Tree of Life, don't just randomly have the world level player bases over night. It's not fun or quirky. Either you're online and deal with it no sweat or you're not online and your base is now gone.

Heh.

It goes beyond being attacked, however. It's more that in a very fundamental sense the game doesn't provide a fundamental impetus toward action.

jorb

Postby Gabula » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:24 am

I think it's because there's no end-game goal. Take a look at Travian, in that game an event starts after the "world" has been active for a few months, in which the players rush to defeat an NPC faction, take an item from their villages and build a "World Wonder". When a faction completes a World Wonder, they win that world and the world resets and start over anew. I think Haven could use a similar mechanic.
Gabula

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements