Game Development: Coat of Many Colors

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Coat of Many Colors

Postby Redlaw » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:20 am

I think of it this way, if it give free players more free time later down the road, custom items are the way to go. More people spend more free stuff is given. More free stuff given means more people playing. It feeds into itself. Now button down and support the game so you have a high chance to bump into me and give me a bad case of tetanus.
Redlaw

Postby tiarali » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:20 am

I'm also not interested in the new update, but that doesn't mean it is worthless. There are a variety of players here, and I certainly see the worth of cosmetic items to large villages. Getting new players won't do much if they don't stay, which means we need end game content for more established players too.

Also, it's not like we've only got half a game right now. And with 1-2 updates a week, most of which have included a lot of gameplay updates, there's nothing wrong with having a graphical update in one of them. I can wait for the next one.

Also, kudos for having pay items be cosmetic only. I am happy to spend money on a game I play and enjoy, but I hate pay to win games with a passion.
tiarali

Postby DaniAngione » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:21 am

Woah, I've talked about dyes today on some other thread.

Love the update, though I'm afraid I'll have to count on my luck on getting the rare fatespawn...

But about dyes, could this be a thing? Now that you're adding oils and such for 'painting' those images, could we also get regular dyes for clothing one day? Linen clothes would appreciate it :D
Last edited by DaniAngione on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:21 am

jorb wrote:
bmjclark wrote:Are flotsams fate based?

Yes.

Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby AAlex » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:23 am

So I assume Linseed is a new crop?
AAlex

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:24 am

DaniAngione wrote:Could this be a thing? Now that you're adding oils and such for 'painting' those images, could we also get regular dyes for clothing one day? Linen clothing would appreciate it :D

We've considered it many a time, but it's a more complex discussion than "just adding". Among the issues encountered therein are such points as:
  • Many pieces of clothing have parts that should be dyed and parts that should not.
  • Some pieces of clothing should probably have parts that are dyeable in different colors.
  • How to specify the color of something is not always trivial given the existence of highlights, shadows, features, &c.
  • Opening that can of worms invites a rather extensive examination of which clothes should be dyeable.

Making clothes dyable probably, therefore, includes a more-or-less complete rework of clothes in general.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby borka » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:25 am

GladiatoR wrote: It's a core foundation of game designing.

Doh! Where did you read that ?!?
borka

Postby banok » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:26 am

I love the idea of tabbards but if it uses armour slot I'm not going to wear it, even if it didnt cost real money. I've said before but you need to sell skins of existing items, like let people paint thier ranger's cape with this new system instead.
banok

Postby Kirche » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:27 am

the wording "rare fate spawn" sounds utterly terrible by the way, considering fate spawns are seemingly incredibly rare as it is.
Kirche

Postby Kelody » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:28 am

jorb wrote:
bmjclark wrote:Are flotsams fate based?

Yes.

What does fate based mean?
Kelody

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements