Game Development: Coat of Many Colors

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Coat of Many Colors

Postby Archiplex » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:28 am

loftar wrote:
DaniAngione wrote:Could this be a thing? Now that you're adding oils and such for 'painting' those images, could we also get regular dyes for clothing one day? Linen clothing would appreciate it :D

We've considered it many a time, but it's a more complex discussion than "just adding". Among the issues encountered therein are such points as:
  • Many pieces of clothing have parts that should be dyed and parts that should not.
  • Some pieces of clothing should probably have parts that are dyeable in different colors.
  • How to specify the color of something is not always trivial given the existence of highlights, shadows, features, &c.
  • Opening that can of worms invites a rather extensive examination of which clothes should be dyeable.

Making clothes dyable probably, therefore, includes a more-or-less complete rework of clothes in general.

Would that be out of the picture as well?

Anyways, looking back at the sketchpage prices it probably isn't as terrible as I imagined due to lowered prices when buying in bulk- though lower prices are rather crazy in how expensive they are.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby DaniAngione » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:28 am

loftar wrote:
DaniAngione wrote:Could this be a thing? Now that you're adding oils and such for 'painting' those images, could we also get regular dyes for clothing one day? Linen clothing would appreciate it :D

We've considered it many a time, but it's a more complex discussion than "just adding". Among the issues encountered therein are such points as:
  • Many pieces of clothing have parts that should be dyed and parts that should not.
  • Some pieces of clothing should probably have parts that are dyeable in different colors.
  • How to specify the color of something is not always trivial given the existence of highlights, shadows, features, &c.
  • Opening that can of worms invites a rather extensive examination of which clothes should be dyeable.

Making clothes dyable probably, therefore, includes a more-or-less complete rework of clothes in general.

Comprehensible. Though these points consider a sophisticated, nicer system, I assume? I mean... Having like 3 color choices just for linen shirt or pants wouldn't be that difficult but wouldn't be as nice or acceptable as it could be, I guess (?)

Anyway, I'm glad it has been discussed before :P Maybe one day it could be a possibility - or just add some other clothing options like Hemp clothes for a little variety (like using hemp or linen or silk for the new chair) ;) would help a lot already :D
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby tiarali » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:29 am

There's a confusing fate system that nobody but Jorb and Loftar understand, which limits your ability to find fate based curios.

About Linseed: I suspected it would be a new crop, but it's not listed as a new implementation?
tiarali

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:30 am

You need one page from a Sketchbook per Sketch crafted. Sketchbook pages can be bought from the store, or crafted using a rare fatespawn.

How rare is it on a scale from bolete to edelweiß?
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby RickyP602 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:31 am

Why no patch hat?
RickyP602

Postby Kirche » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:34 am

RickyP602 wrote:Why no patch hat?

Gotta get those sketchbook page sales
Kirche

Postby DaniAngione » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:35 am

venatorvenator wrote:
You need one page from a Sketchbook per Sketch crafted. Sketchbook pages can be bought from the store, or crafted using a rare fatespawn.

How rare is it on a scale from bolete to edelweiß?

And how much EXP*PER is needed? Can hermits, small villages, casual players and such dream of having their coat of arms or is a 82,000 per*exp bot needed?
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby jorb » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:36 am

tiarali wrote:About Linseed: I suspected it would be a new crop, but it's not listed as a new implementation?

Press flax seeds. Flax = linseed.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Granger » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:37 am

loftar wrote:

Make a stencil for the texture, use it to extract & convert the portion of the texture to greyscale, then tint it into the selected color, merge back (or into a new texture, to be precise).
Similar principle to what you're doing when highlighting items in inventory.

Apply multiple stencils.

You have a 3D-Engine, highlights and shadows should be handled by it and a no-brainer.
Especially should you go the suggested route of texture->stencil part to color->greyscale->tint->compose, since this will keep the alpha intact.

No, only a rework of the textures - as a system that generates (or modifies portions of them) them on the fly.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:40 am

Granger wrote:...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I've no clue how it could be done, only that there are a lot of details that need to be clarified and determined. It's also not quite so easy as you make it out to be, for a number of reasons, some of which are the following:

Granger wrote:Make a stencil for the texture, use it to extract & convert the portion of the texture to greyscale, then tint it into the selected color, merge back (or into a new texture, to be precise).

Generating multiple textures on-the-fly for character rendering isn't all that good from a VRAM-usage standpoint.
Granger wrote:You have a 3D-Engine, highlights and shadows should be handled by it and a no-brainer.

I'm not referring to such shadows and highlights that are a result of the 3D model, but those that are part of the texture itself.
Granger wrote:No, only a rework of the textures - as a system that generates (or modifies portions of them) them on the fly.

What I was trying to say with that is that the base clothe textures themselves probably need to be reworked to work well with dyes.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements