Game Development: Le Petit Fix

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Le Petit Fix

Postby Cajoes » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:02 am

As a former admin-moderator for a niche roleplaying game I won't elaborate upon further I can tell you with certainty that polling is the single most useless method of implementing features or changes in the history of ever. Since they will be abused to high heaven, ballot stuffed, then ignored because democracy™ only matters when it benefits you. There are people who would downvote a cure for all cancer simply because their name is not credited. And that is just kinda sad.

This is Jorb & Loftar's game, their darling. Let them brainstorm and implement and remove things that don't work out. Like wind-chimes or wind swords and cows that lay eggs. How are we to learn what works if mistakes are not made? Creation is messy and scary but I'd rather have it than stagnation and complacency.
Cajoes

Postby FerrousToast » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:13 am

with all this bitching about flags, would extending the amount of land they can cover, and perhaps enabling a few tools to reshape it without having to remove and rezone? making it with a menu sort of like the P claim where you can extend it more in a single direction, to a larger limit then we have currently, maybe 100, so it could make a good yardstick for measuring out how much stone of what you will need for massive pavement projects.
FerrousToast

Postby Haba » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:50 am

And besides, the people who visit forums often don't actively represent the player base. Developers will have to rely on statistic and analysis to come into definite conclusions.
Haba

Postby Turtlesir » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:57 am

Cajoes wrote:As a former admin-moderator for a niche roleplaying game I won't elaborate upon further I can tell you with certainty that polling is the single most useless method of implementing features or changes in the history of ever. Since they will be abused to high heaven, ballot stuffed, then ignored because democracy™ only matters when it benefits you. There are people who would downvote a cure for all cancer simply because their name is not credited. And that is just kinda sad.

This is Jorb & Loftar's game, their darling. Let them brainstorm and implement and remove things that don't work out. Like wind-chimes or wind swords and cows that lay eggs. How are we to learn what works if mistakes are not made? Creation is messy and scary but I'd rather have it than stagnation and complacency.

except that pretty much everyone here that benefited from the patch was asking for a rollback.

Haba wrote:And besides, the people who visit forums often don't actively represent the player base. Developers will have to rely on statistic and analysis to come into definite conclusions.

they could put up a message upon login to come vote on the forums.

i do think a rollback would've been the lesser of two evils. but yeah, it's their game, and seeing how great hafen how become, the awesomeness of legacy was no fluke. they know what's best in the end. i just hope they won't be basing everything around the oooops changes now, because that means new content can't fully be tested which will put us further away from a perpetual world.
Turtlesir

Postby Tacheron » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 pm

Imo, when a long term exploit that throws off the balance (such as the endless table feasting) is discovered, it should be announced to everyone before being changed so that everyone can abuse it, getting at least some sense of fairness. Like a day or two of that. Then do the fix. You'll know that someone used it longer than you did, but you can still feel you got in on the action.

At least I feel that would fix a part of the complaints going around.

All in all, I do think the next world will be smoother because of everything that has happened so far, but all of the "mistakes" have caused me to not be as attached to this world or my characters as I normally am.
This is not a test of power
This is not a game to be lost or won
Let justice be done
Tacheron

Postby Clemence » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:41 pm

All those competitive worries sound like big villages petit bourgeois boring grinding game.
As an hermite I can loose a lot just by meeting a boar when foraging.
An you in your brickwalled village, you are crying when a bug give some avantage to another village.
Yes, this game can be unfair, yes there is randomness, deal with it.
I dont ask for a rollback when a boar hit me and not my neigbour, you could see the devs mistakes that way.
Clemence

Postby Kaios » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Clemence wrote:An you in your brickwalled village, you are crying when a bug give some avantage to another village.

It was the very people who gained that advantage that wanted the rollback, the players in villages that had already progressed to L5 mines and already had the bulk of their industry setup and were ready and capable of taking full advantage of the increase ore qualities. I don't think you know what you're saying.
Kaios

Postby Tacheron » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:32 pm

Kaios wrote: I don't think you know what you're saying.

Agreed.
This is not a test of power
This is not a game to be lost or won
Let justice be done
Tacheron

Postby Astarisk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Kaios wrote:
Clemence wrote:An you in your brickwalled village, you are crying when a bug give some avantage to another village.

It was the very people who gained that advantage that wanted the rollback, the players in villages that had already progressed to L5 mines and already had the bulk of their industry setup and were ready and capable of taking full advantage of the increase ore qualities. I don't think you know what you're saying.

They wanted something to do be done about it, they didn't necessarily want a roll back. I don't think you should be speaking for them all x]. I know several who gained an advantage during it that thought it was unfair to have such an edge, but a roll back would have been enough to have them quit.

Personally speaking, I can't even see how the mineral changes to that extreme even matter. If the mineral changes went as they had originally planned, all existing industry would have been wiped out anyways, there would have been no saving the old infrastructure. Anyone who had a competitive edge previously would have lost it anyways.

The only issue that I really see that came out of that patch was how broken symbel was, and that was more of an issue with how symbel scaled than an issue with the metals.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Kaios » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:05 pm

Astarisk wrote:I don't think you should be speaking for them all x]. I know several who gained an advantage during it that thought it was unfair to have such an edge, but a roll back would have been enough to have them quit.

What? Unless you're a casual that spent 3 days building their brickwall (example directly taken from another user's complaint) then a rollback should not affect you to such a degree that you quit lol, what the hell kind of advanced village would quit over 3 days of lost work when comparing it to all the work they put in prior that.

Anyways, steel sword damage is through the roof now with a chop let alone cleave and B12 is much higher than that so I'm not sure what you mean when you say the quality change didn't matter.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements