Game Development: Le Petit Fix

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Le Petit Fix

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:11 am

recipe?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby bmjclark » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:23 am

2 bread, 2 vegetables, 2 fruit. They have a very long study time (several days).
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby FerrousToast » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:49 am

bmjclark wrote:2 bread, 2 vegetables, 2 fruit. They have a very long study time (several days).

cornucopia new shrewbread?
FerrousToast

Postby Haba » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:21 am

jorb wrote:[*] Combined symbel items changed from geometric to arithmetic progression, as it was in Legacy, thereby fixing/alleviating this and this. Tables now display their sums.

For anyone who isn't "in the know", what the developers are casually brushing off as a minor fix is in fact a major imbalancing change.

There is a reason why we were crying for a roll-back when we saw the metal fuck-up unfold. History just keeps repeating itself and some men are not learning animals.

With the super high metal symbel, I could effectively eat ten (10) 1,5% hunger pies before gaining one unit of satiety. After this nerf, such is no longer possible.

Must desirable fix then, isn't it?

Sure is... for factions that used the opportunity to stuff their characters during this time. There are now tons of palibashers with 500-600 STR and more. You will never catch up to them.

The rationale for reinstituting the ore node quality bug was that "some people had already mined", yet when it comes to gaining unfair advantage in your character stats the same logic no longer applies for some reason. Have fun staying competitive if you didn't exploit the opportunity when it existed.
Haba

Postby jorb » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:43 am

Haba wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] Combined symbel items changed from geometric to arithmetic progression, as it was in Legacy, thereby fixing/alleviating this and this. Tables now display their sums.

For anyone who isn't "in the know", what the developers are casually brushing off as a minor fix...

jorb wrote:Key Fixes

Yes, most sneakily I skulked it out as only being a "key fix", when in fact it should be...? An epochal fix?

The rationale for reinstituting the ore node quality bug was that "some people had already mined", yet when it comes to gaining unfair advantage in your character stats the same logic no longer applies for some reason. Have fun staying competitive if you didn't exploit the opportunity when it existed.

The reasoning -- admittedly one can argue with it -- being that this problem didn't cause anything qualitatively different. You can still grind characters that high, but you could not find ore of those qualities anymore. Perhaps this is bad reasoning and we should simply have pushed the mining change as well.

Haba wrote:There are now tons of palibashers with 500-600 STR and more. You will never catch up to them.

No. You shall have to take the whole horrible pain of swarming them with no-stated rage alts in order to destroy them. The horror.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Avu » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:48 am

You can rationalize anything even genocide doesn't make it right though. This world is nothing more than an experiment now pretty much like all before.

And sure you can still grind that high and when time variable aproaches infinity the stats difference becomes 0. But we're not dealing with infinity. Meh. I'm less worked about it than haba but that's only because as I grow older I become more apathetic casual and all around scrub and my sense of justice and fairness is out the window.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby jorb » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:53 am

Avu wrote:You can rationalize anything even genocide doesn't make it right though. This world is nothing more than an experiment now pretty much like all before.

If we are going to be carrying on development of central features then stability and continuity of environment and data will by definition be hard to maintain, yes.

And sure you can still grind that high and when time variable aproaches infinity the stats difference becomes 0. But we're not dealing with infinity. Meh. I'm less worked about it than haba but that's only because as I grow older I become more apathetic casual and all around scrub and my sense of justice and fairness is out the window.

The more whine I hear about these matters the more inclined I am to simply stop caring. Nothing we do is ever right, and we are always making THE MOST OOOOOBVIOUS mistakes, so perhaps we should, indeed, simply have pushed the mining change as well. Alternatively we can setup a "safe" server where nothing is ever changed, and you can play to your heart's content among all the bugs and problems that never get fixed, because fixing them would destroy precious balance.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:57 am

jorb wrote:The reasoning -- admittedly one can argue with it -- being that this problem didn't cause anything qualitatively different. You can still grind characters that high, but you could not find ore of those qualities anymore. Perhaps this is bad reasoning and we should simply have pushed the mining change as well.

i approve your reasoning. it hardly matters to me whether its considered bad or not by others, we all know that you can never make everyone happy after a fuck-up. someone will be always mad at every decision you make anyways.
Tonkyhonk

Postby Redlaw » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:02 am

I am happy with what Jorb and Lofter do, do. Yes I have stressed out, freaked out, and so on. I cant wait till I can build a wheel-barrel (will next week lol). Sometimes no one can do good, as one step means someone hates it. Some times that means people quite, but so long as what was changed, means the game is better overall in the long run, then it does not matter.

Not all changes need to in the players favor. Devs make mistakes, we all know this. Does not mean they need to be played like a Harp about it. I would rather grumble about my own issues, ones that are a hark limit for me right now. Then see this go on. They are trying and I am proud of them for that.
Redlaw

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:06 am

If I had some hostile person who managed to take full advantage of the tables living near me, I think it would be quite fun :roll:

Keep on developing, having started in w5 this active development is very exciting to me. Looking forward to the combat changes.
_Gunnar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements