Game Development: Le Petit Fix

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Le Petit Fix

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:15 pm

jorb wrote: The more whine I hear about these matters the more inclined I am to simply stop caring. Nothing we do is ever right, and we are always making THE MOST OOOOOBVIOUS mistakes, so perhaps we should, indeed, simply have pushed the mining change as well. Alternatively we can setup a "safe" server where nothing is ever changed, and you can play to your heart's content among all the bugs and problems that never get fixed, because fixing them would destroy precious balance.

I personally don't mind most changes. What is frustating for me is seeing important features being changed because 6 players spammed the forum with complaints and you agreed with them instead of relativizing the issue or discussing other options.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby jorb » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:17 pm

venatorvenator wrote:I personally don't mind most changes. What is frustating for me is seeing important features being changed because 6 players spammed the forum with complaints and you agreed with them instead of relativizing the issue or discussing other options.

What are you referring to? The metal change, and the fact that we left what we consider to be sub-optimal formula in the game due to complaints?

More generally I try to be attentive to feedback. Some things are not on my radar, and if they are not then it is very likely that I will respond to a complaint that seems well formulated. I do like to believe that I am not a complete doormat in terms of what gets past me, however.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Sevenless » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Oh side note, just looked at my table. Thanks for the total satiation mod number. That's really helpful :)
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Haba » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:39 pm

Sevenless wrote:This situation isn't perfect, but crying won't change it. The devs are doing the best they can, and we've known since ever that they aren't perfect.

I don't think loftjorb need white knighting, nor do we need a martyr cult here. They are asking people for money and trying to make a living out of it. "Doing the best you can" is no excuse. Keep your attitude up if you want them to fail.
Haba

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:43 pm

jorb wrote:
venatorvenator wrote:I personally don't mind most changes. What is frustating for me is seeing important features being changed because 6 players spammed the forum with complaints and you agreed with them instead of relativizing the issue or discussing other options.

What are you referring to? The metal change, and the fact that we left what we consider to be sub-optimal formula in the game due to complaints?

More generally I try to be attentive to feedback. Some things are not on my radar, and if they are not then it is very likely that I will respond to a complaint that seems well formulated. I do like to believe that I am not a complete doormat in terms of what gets past me, however.

I'm still mad at the survey flag being limited because only 2 players complained. But the same is true with archery and animal nerfing, and other C&I topics I don't recall. I don't think I've seen more than 12 people give their opinion on the armor penetration thread either, and yet you mentioned you want to implement it.

Lots of players gave their opinion on the metal update and it's not the same thing. You could have made a poll though, especially because the timeframe was too narrow and many were left out.
venatorvenator

Postby Granger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:30 pm

venatorvenator wrote:You could have made a poll though, especially because the timeframe was too narrow and many were left out.
If the time is short then many will be left out. Even with a poll.
And how do you want to police that against sockpuppets when everyone can create as much accounts as freemailers give mailboxes?

Sure, sometimes I wondered if I shouldn't UPS them a burning turd for some stuff that happened... but in the end I'm not mad that long since these two IMHO do a better job on a shoestring budget than big companies with millions to spare. Must be that I still like the end result, even with the shortcomings it has, or the pricetag attached. YMMV.

Jorb, Loftar: Please continue bringing Hafen forward.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Sevenless » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Haba wrote:
Sevenless wrote:This situation isn't perfect, but crying won't change it. The devs are doing the best they can, and we've known since ever that they aren't perfect.

I don't think loftjorb need white knighting, nor do we need a martyr cult here. They are asking people for money and trying to make a living out of it. "Doing the best you can" is no excuse. Keep your attitude up if you want them to fail.

There's a difference between admonishing someone and screaming at them. I've never found the latter to be conducive to good results.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Granger wrote:
venatorvenator wrote:You could have made a poll though, especially because the timeframe was too narrow and many were left out.
If the time is short then many will be left out. Even with a poll.
And how do you want to police that against sockpuppets when everyone can create as much accounts as freemailers give mailboxes?

Sure, sometimes I wondered if I shouldn't UPS them a burning turd for some stuff that happened... but in the end I'm not mad that long since these two IMHO do a better job on a shoestring budget than big companies with millions to spare. Must be that I still like the end result, even with the shortcomings it has, or the pricetag attached. YMMV.

Jorb, Loftar: Please continue bringing Hafen forward.

Allowing only verified and subscribed accounts to vote, or doing a poll lottery with random accounts selected as voters. For me either one would be fine.

Someone mentioned on skype chat that they already do way more than most indie devs and I agree, that should be acknowledged too. Handling of community morale could be better though.
venatorvenator

Postby jippe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:39 pm

Jorbtar, thanks for the update.

just had to subscribe again for another month because of the dreaded "out of hours notice"

Thanks for the wonderful game and continuous improvements.
jippe

Postby romovs » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:58 pm

venatorvenator wrote:...I'm still mad at the survey flag being limited because only 2 players complained....

You being happy with your LARPing is undeniably outweighs some random whoever suffering from griefing :|

Although I agree that metal issue wasn't handled in the best way (rollback would have been better overall),
but how would a poll help in that specific case? Keeping everyone wondering for two days whther it's going to be a 5 day rollback now?
Fuckup happened. Lessons /hopefully/ learned. Deal with it.
romovs

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements