Game Development: Castles in the Sand

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Castles in the Sand

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:47 am

overtyped wrote:TBH, a change this huge should be a restart, not that I would like that.

Why? Again, it changes nothing in a sense. Walls and gates still work as they always have.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby MightySheep » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:47 am

Astarisk wrote:Yeah, I'm not a fan of jumping the gun on that claim changes. It pretty much just kills raiding entirely. I foresee so much wrong with it, it'd take me a bit just to type it out.

the only reason it kills raiding entirely is because the only way to raid was using alts

when/if proper siege mechanics are added then raiding will work fine

also I really like the combat changes, did 20% to green defence with a 1ua alt rather than the 50% before
Last edited by MightySheep on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MightySheep

Postby loftar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:49 am

Drevar wrote:edit..Also is the mechanic directional? Like if you pass through a reversed gate (normally exiting) does this still function?

No, you are flagged as a visitor whenever you pass an open gate, quite simply. Nothing more and nothing less to it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:49 am

I love this patch so much.

Where is Em and Amanda? - you two are late for tea already! :P
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby overtyped » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:49 am

jorb wrote:
overtyped wrote:TBH, a change this huge should be a restart, not that I would like that.

Why? Again, it changes nothing in a sense. Walls and gates still work as they always have.

What I mean is, I live in brodgar, and palibashers already exist. We can't design a village around this mechanic, without risking the brickwall being destroyed. Even if we palisade first now, it could just be bashed when its dried..
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby boshaw » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:50 am

overtyped wrote:
jorb wrote:

What I mean is, I live in brodgar, and palibashers already exist. We can't design a village around this mechanic, without risking the brickwall being destroyed. Even if we palisade first now, it could just be bashed when its dried..

Plan for the future.
boshaw

Postby higherark » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:51 am

jorb wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:its not a positive change this is v dumb jorb y wud u do this!!!!!!11

Again, nothing has changed if you were raiding "legit". You're basically complaining that a bunch of cheesy 'sploits are no more.

On one hand you claim the sacking of ryleh was fair enough, but then you say using a spy to open the gates is a cheesy exploit. Which one is it?

Furthermore this also allows a defender to have much more control over the engagement when a raid happens. Being red-handed no longer matters because claim+gate provides total safety (Which in and of itself doesn't exactly mesh well with the open pvp aspect of the game) You can expect people to pussyfoot from the safety of a claim- preventing enemies from being able to hearth while simultaneously being completely safe themselves. That reeks of bullshit to me and goes against the idea that theres a certain degree of risk/reward in the game.

If I can prevent someone from hearthing due to combat I should not be completely safe. I should have to make a decision to either engage or remain behind a closed gate.
W3 - Nubcaek Supreme: The Defiler of Planks
W8 - Seargent Derp: The Un-kinned Kinslayer, New Brodgar
W9 - Lieutenant Sprucecap: Militia Commander, New Brodgar
higherark

Postby loftar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:51 am

overtyped wrote:What I mean is, I live in brodgar, and palibashers already exist. We can't design a village around this mechanic, without risking the brickwall being destroyed. Even if we palisade first now, it could just be bashed when its dried..

If it could now, it could just as well be before this patch.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby overtyped » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:52 am

loftar wrote:
overtyped wrote:What I mean is, I live in brodgar, and palibashers already exist. We can't design a village around this mechanic, without risking the brickwall being destroyed. Even if we palisade first now, it could just be bashed when its dried..

If it could now, it could just as well be before this patch.

But, there was no reason to before this patch, hence why I say a patch this big would warrant a restart.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Kirche » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:52 am

Is it possible to extend these gate protections to unbroken walls as well, thus countering bug jumping from having any affect?

You'd still be able to break the wall and get in to raid a place, but exploiters wouldn't benefit from jumping over walls anymore
Kirche

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements