Game Development: Dubloons

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Dubloons

Postby t1jesusman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:38 am

can you melt down coins from one currency and use it to make your own?
t1jesusman

Postby spavaloo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:43 am

jorb wrote:coin stockpiles

One day, my underground layer will have a glorious vault full of stacked gold and silver coinage.
Go to space
spavaloo

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:48 am

t1jesusman wrote:can you melt down coins from one currency and use it to make your own?

You could put coins in finery forges to melt them down to bars. Not sure if that was reimplemented.
DDDsDD999

Postby hitzu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:53 am

strpk0 wrote:Great update, but honestly I don't see any reason why coins would become a more viable trading method than subscription tokens.
I have been thinking about it some time and here's an idea: backing of currency. One buys a token and change it in "The Bank" for "The Bank's Money". Now he may buy anything with that money to anyone who trust that bank. Or one may buy the token back at the bank. The bank in its turn promises that it would not produce or let out money aside from changing it for tokens. This should work in theory.
hitzu

Postby Longshanks87 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:04 am

Great update chaps:

some thought on those that either dont understand the coinage advantages, or simply are just not understanding the need for it.

Within villages where there are multiple players who for any number of reasons do not use a voip or some such program or simply did not know each other before playing the game, there can be created a system by where trade is involving the villages personal coinage.

as outlined by Loftar before here this would be advantageous to those in the village with certain trust issues on personal land or buildings helping each other gain rapport and trade goods from within the same commonplace.
A larger village such as brodgar (rip) would have had much coinage being traded around the village for personal use.
in this case there would likely be many people playing many roles whereby they would be able to trade simply coins to gain the items they wish for which they cannot already acquire (for whatever reason)
coins would likely by given away on a small scale for repeated login and traded for goods as a basis then redistributed for more expensive goods where the player had accumulated enough.

coins levaing the village would likely be smelted down into raw materials.

for another example:

we have just taken on a friendly player who is relatively new to haven.
in order for him to progress further than the boost we gave him we may now create coins and ask him for goods time to time giving coinage in exchange.

a barter stand would be set up near the communal area and he would be able to trade his coins there for the goods we require.

this might seem as a shock to many but there are those who would simply give things away within villages and take where they wish.
but this is not the case for everyone.

between we three in the central hub we trade and exchange via voip. having said that its better to say we are all friends irl and play together for fun, and being honest coinage for us would be cosmetic at best.
But for all those who we would accept to join the ranks of our humble village and play around us we would most certainly use coinage locally to give the younger players an opportunity to buy more levelled goods, foods, seeds, etc etc.

there is also the matter at hand now of the apples for oranges thread. by where trading villages may now introduce a coinage system to their options
small example":- 1 glimmer = 1 silver coin
battleaxe of the twelth bay "sold for" 500 gold coins
as a small example.

this would of course mean that in order to buy goods from a certain place you would need coinage to suit their preference.

some may even collaborate and accept coinage from sister villages or allied factions.

Personally i think that this introduction is extremely diverse and gives an opportunity to take the game in a much more political and social direction.

with the later introduction of what we may see as kingdomship and such
this would create a very fun and distictly different atmosphere to the thus far known world.

Thanks once again for keeping the content coming chaps.
Peace and Light.
Happy Thanksgiving
Shanked..
Longshanks87

Postby strpk0 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:18 am

loftar wrote:I fully expect the primary use of coins to be as a token system between the stands of a single village.

I see, the only doubt I still have is whether or not proper "trading" between village members is very much a thing in the present state of the game. From personal experience, in all of the villages I have been part of there is usually a friendship relationship between all of the villagers, which usually results in items being shared between each member. The only exception is perhaps when an item is valuable enough so that it warrants some sort of payment for it (in which case it's much more convenient to not use barter stands for the transaction anyway).
Of course, this probably is because all the villages I've been part of have usually been constituted of a group of friends. This could very well be a nice feature to have when larger villages start showing up (not entirely sure if they're a thing now, except for maybe NB), where personal interest rather than a completely cooperative attitude is more commonplace.
Sorry for sort of derailing the thread, just thought I'd share my personal experience incase it helps in any way for future updates.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby FerrousToast » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:50 am

I for one basically intend to use it as a stand in for the "point" system of old. We have been in negotiation with some noobs in the region, and set a few prices already. We are going to have one barter stand, set up to buy blueberries, morrels and boneglue, for 2 coins for the first two, and 12 for the glue. Every coin we print in town will be in the chest waiting to buy from the noobs coming to town. When they sell to us (we will be using our own set currency) they will get the coins, that they could take away and resmelt into bars if they want, but we expect them to instead turn around and immediately spend all of them that they can on buying our curios or food, which we will be selling for 5-50 coins a piece. effectively, this lets us sell two straw dolls for 5 blueberries while offline, and the coins never leave our town, we just move the coins back to the purchasing stall
FerrousToast

Postby hazzor » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:31 am

these updates have been awfully dull for someone in a small village that never sees a single person, my barter stands haven't been touched since they were implemented, I'm pretty sure all the newb camps nearby have gone stale.

I'm sure someone is enjoying this but it certainly seems to do nothing at all for me.

Aside from that, I assume that I can accept generic coins or a specific kind of currency at a barter stand, right?
Oh boy, here I go cheesemaking again...
hazzor

Postby ramones » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:56 am

Badich wrote:1. Remember who used it for trade in the past worlds? Nobody, except roleplay newbies.
I used it just to learn new craft items, only because of it 1 point.
2. Coins. Let me think where can I use it? Hmm, nowhere? Oh, I can just craft them to see how they look.

Well, even tho I personally don't see much use of the coins now, u probably didn't have the chance to see the w3 Buyan marketplace where 80% of the deals were made through coins. Maybe not that much, but a lot. I know from my personal experience that I needed coins to buy various stuff there from sausages, hats etc.. And it worked nicely.

If it can work worldwide? I doubt it, because all the traders would have to agree on it and use it in same way. I only see it going along if we actually get a safe marketplace, which I don't see happening anytime soon.
W8 - Hermitage
W7 - Emerald City
W6 - Gomorrah
W5 - Pandemonium
W4 - Angkor
W3 - Angkor
ramones

Postby Potjeh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:58 am

Barter stands and coins didn't take off because it was too easy to steal from stands. This is no longer the case.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements