Game Development: Dubloons

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Dubloons

Postby Kelody » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:02 am

CSPAN wrote:Will the clients need to be updated? Opening straw baskets crashes the game. (tested and confirmed with others)

What items stack besides coins? So I know which cupboards to avoid.
Kelody

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:42 am

Badich wrote:Image

1. Remember who used it for trade in the past worlds? Nobody, except roleplay newbies.
I used it just to learn new craft items, only because of it 1 point.
2. Coins. Let me think where can I use it? Hmm, nowhere? Oh, I can just craft them to see how they look.

It's not because no one used something, this something should not be implemented back.
This is actually more of a reason to improve it and wonder why it wasn't working rather than removing it.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby venatorvenator » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:47 am

Well that sure might be interesting for the long-term, especially if combined with the visitor and barter stand updates.
I'm thinking if it would be viable to leave brickwalled outposts open in the middle of the map, with barter stands inside, then collecting coins and goods once a week. Seems like a fun way to trade, thanks for the update.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby bmjclark » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:14 am

DaniAngione wrote:
Badich wrote:Image

1. Remember who used it for trade in the past worlds? Nobody, except roleplay newbies.
I used it just to learn new craft items, only because of it 1 point.
2. Coins. Let me think where can I use it? Hmm, nowhere? Oh, I can just craft them to see how they look.

It's not because no one used something, this something should not be implemented back.
This is actually more of a reason to improve it and wonder why it wasn't working rather than removing it.

Cartography when?
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:18 am

bmjclark wrote:Cartography when?

I did say "wonder why it wasn't working".
Cartography will not be implemented back (at least I think they said it won't) not because it wasn't working but because players had a more efficient way to do so externally (client mapping).
It's different from trade, which wasn't working as a system because the system was flawed and not because players had a better solution ;)
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby strpk0 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:43 am

Great update, but honestly I don't see any reason why coins would become a more viable trading method than subscription tokens. There's always the hassle of having to make sure the coins aren't "counterfeit", and also with so many different coin types being made by different villages, how will any of them become the "popular" currency to accept?
But I guess this could be one of those experimental updates to see how things go, and if so this is not a bad idea in my opinion. Again though, tokens will probably remain globally worth so much more and prove to be way more useful than coins.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby Ethan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:50 am

I don't think coins and batter stands are really intended for inter-village trade?

They will work great with in larger villages, where people are mostly independent, but living together for protection (behind a brick wall).
I imagine its going to evolve into a local "Kingdom" trading system.
Ethan

Postby loftar » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:06 am

strpk0 wrote:There's always the hassle of having to make sure the coins aren't "counterfeit", and also with so many different coin types being made by different villages, how will any of them become the "popular" currency to accept?

I fully expect the primary use of coins to be as a token system between the stands of a single village. For instance, one stand buys eggs or something for ten coins a piece, and another sells blueberries for 3 coins a piece. That makes that trade alone similar to buying one egg for 3 1/3 blueberries, something which is not possible without coins, but it also makes it easier to set up several trade offers using a common measure of value. It's similar to the "token" system that has been commonplace for manual trading.

Only if some village manages to become a major trading station would I expect their coinage to spread beyond its use as a local trade-token.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby _Gunnar » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:13 am

I'm happy about the uniqueness of named presses, the non-mixing thing is more elegant than the implementation I proposed too. My village wont use coins, ofc, we are good little anarchists, but i imagine that large capitalist groups could find this useful :p
_Gunnar

Postby venatorvenator » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:20 am

strpk0 wrote:Great update, but honestly I don't see any reason why coins would become a more viable trading method than subscription tokens.

Tokens are still limited to people who can pay stuff easily at the shop or who take the game seriously, that's not the case with everyone who wants to trade.

Still on the topic of cash and trade, what's the stance on real-money trade? I feel it's bad because it hijacks shop profit, but I'd like to know your actual position on this.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements