Game Development: Seasons Greetings

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Seasons Greetings

Postby FerrousToast » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:49 am

bmjclark wrote:I didn't realize experience was actually an issue to anyone tbh. The only characters i've ever had to worry about it on are fresh chars that i build within the village without ever sending them out, and even then it's really simple to just go through a checklist of things to do for experience every day. I've never run out of experience, or even really come close.

so basically we have confirmation that the only people who are able to get the exp system to work are those who actively game it. I think this is very obvious sign that it's the EXP earning that needs a serious overhaul, because they might not be "bots" persay, but only those who are able to exploit the system are actually getting exp, where as players who are playing the game as some would say it "should be" on a single main doing all of the things you do all by yourself are potentially getting fucked hard by just getting a set of weird events and them never ever fucking triggering. While the curios taking the same exp with the final wear tick as they did with the first was an issue, I really hope that this will make them look into the far more serious longterm issue of some players having 30k exp while others can't hardly scrape together 8k, based only on a series of arcane bullshit challenges. The lore events don't feel like an exciting reward, they feel like an awful chore.
FerrousToast

Postby bmjclark » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:52 am

I mean, if it were up to me i'd just remove the whole experience system because it's easily gamed and honestly not restrictive at all (so pretty much pointless). The alternative being that it is restrictive and super unfun to play because you run out of experience and can't actively progress anymore because of RNG.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby lachlaan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:01 am

Right, after posting to kid around with Kaios, I have read through the new pages post-revert, and would like to formalize a sort of agreement with you guys, Jorb & Loftar.

The revert is only to not have to tweak it during holiday time, yes? In that, you won't pull a jorbtar and put it on the backburner till the end of eternity...

The aspects of it we've seen people like changed need to be considered before any re-implementation, so presuming they'll reimplement it later, we might as well take this time to constructively assess the wear system and propose improvements, while jorbtar are on vacation.

LP gain being essence only seemed limited for newbies with no access to essence nodes, but I did find substance interesting on items where the substance boosted wear into reasonable levels. Let me just say that an item with 2-4 wear seems so undesireable due to the fact that the second tick is so much worse compared to the previous one. The leap is too great, so if you want to keep it like that perhaps remove wear in its current form, add a diminishing returns system that slowly scales down to 0 in a less erratic way and more similarly with all curios. That way you can gain 100%, 90%, 80% LP and so on or something. Could still later tweak curios individually based on how quickly you want them to wear out, taking into consideration the need for a sink for that curio type, or just the need to log on etc etc. Perhaps make a system where you can add broken down curios together to fix their wear, saving us the pain of tossing curios (hoarders are heartbroken).

So yeah, it'd be nice to just have LP scale with all qualities : Discuss

It'd be nice to have wear not be so horrible for 2-4-5 wear curios : Discuss

It'd be nice to have XP drain scale with wear : Given, no point discussing unless you want to make the argument that that's the cost for being too lazy to swap curios out.

It'd be nice to have jorb sit down and think of each curio's spot in a hearthling's play session, and then tweak accordingly : Many discuss, handle it.

Also, @ the EXP topic, perhaps each character has a chance to have different algorithms for how their EXP deck shuffles. Similar to my fate luck, where i've gotten some 3-4 things other than boletes so far. If you can't manage to figure out where the bottlenecks are too easily it might just be a case of it being broken, and I'd ask Loftar to check out the code and make sure how broken it can get at the limit. I'd say pick the highest possible Experiences to attempt, and pick the highest as bottleneck removal attempts, that's a good start :\
lachlaan

Postby Granger » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:00 am

Hypotheti:

Given that
-each quality would tune one aspect (speed, wear, exp. cost) with the formulas so that eg. for first quality it is (q1*2+q2+q3)/4, or something along that which takes the overall quality into account to make a node of a certain low aspect type not unuseable
- wear could simply be uses, in case a used item gives less LP it whould scale more linear

Would we really need the curio to scale in LP at all, and if so, should it not be about average quality instead of a certain one?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Ejnekor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:49 am

FerrousToast wrote:so basically we have confirmation that the only people who are able to get the exp system to work are those who actively game it.

What if I will tell you that I have spend two weeks without a single exp event before? And I mean it. I did everything - exploring, cooking, tanning, hunting. And yet I was locked out of any event. It was so bad that I couldn't study anything except ants at some point for few days. What drew me out from that loop was some random event which apparently I was stuck on. I don't recall which one it was, but it was something odd and new for me back then for sure. After that - my exp started to grow again and I not actively trigger it anymore, but I constantly below 3k that way. Surely, if i will hunt for triggers (I still farm, hunt, cook, tan and do random chore stuff around the village) I able to get some more of it, but why bother when I comfortable at that level?

You come to conclusions way too early. Exp system has issues (bugs where people randomly stuck on certain rare events) and it even confirmed by the devs that it is not perfect in bug section of the forums.
Ejnekor

Postby vatas » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:57 am

I think the curio revamp was neat idea but poorly implemented. I wouldn't mind devs trying this again in future but with few notes.

-Due to way nodes for different quality aspects work, the lp and lp/h should be determined by the average of all three aspects.

-One aspect should reduce xp cost. To facilitate this, xp that characters currently have, xp gained from lore events, and xp consumed by curios should all be multiplied by 10.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Longshanks87 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:07 pm

I see a lot of lose this lose that tweak this tweak that.
whats wrong with curios having a base level?
my glimmers went form 5k down to 3.5k but they were studyable 40 times...
this imo was great

dont change nothing guys put it back and ignore the one or two idiots who moaned about not being able to play often enough to earn xp to cover there murkwood fettishes
ITS CALLED MANAGEMENT YOU FOOLS.

i have 22k xp and my character has been steadily rising that level since worlds beginning.
if you want to mine one line in a day then dont expect more than one xp gain.
if you want to log in put curios on and log out EXPECT YOUR XP TO DIMINISH

i thought the entire point of having an xp cost was to make it hard for people to gain silly levels and give some sort of level playing field for players?.
was i wrong, do you think xp should be a per login free event?
are you a raider who only wants to put curios on log out and in one month come bakc a pali bash someone and stream it exclaiming how ballsy you are?
what the fuck is the problem?

i honestly cant understand how or why anyone would ever have complained about this improvement.
Shanked..
Longshanks87

Postby Asgaroth22 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Longshanks87 wrote:I see a lot of lose this lose that tweak this tweak that.
whats wrong with curios having a base level?
my glimmers went form 5k down to 3.5k but they were studyable 40 times...
this imo was great

That a glimmermoss was studyable 40 times is reason enough to rethink the system. It basically turned the entire curiosity system upside down and rendered most of them utterly useless compared to things like glimmers.
In addition to that, people were getting negative exp just after one day of studying in this system. Imagine if someone logged out just before the update for a week (it's alsmost holiday after all) and when they got back their character couldn't progress for a long time because of -3000 exp they stacked due to not logging in to take off some 40 wear curios. This would happen if the update was not reverted.
This showed that the devs did not properly bugtested this system, and so it was vulnerable to exploits. All this just before holiday, on which devs wouldn't be able to properly patch and fix this. This system was a very good idea, but reverting it was even a better one.

Ps: Just so you don't say i can't manage my exp and so i cry: I'm sitting at 26k exp, full study most of the time.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby Longshanks87 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:53 pm

Asgaroth22 wrote:Ps: Just so you don't say i can't manage my exp and so i cry: I'm sitting at 26k exp, full study most of the time.

I know right its not hard to manage ones study and not spend all day auto hitting the murkwoods yet still aqquire a nice amount for use.

what you said before tho, about the negatve xp thing.
i must have missed that, because i cant fault it, thats a bit of a problem for people, especially at this time of year since they are likely all going away for 5-9 days.
once agian it falls to management but i agree with you if someone did not do such then they wouldnt be having much fun for a week upon return.
(that is of course if they know how to execute the xp gain)
((its not an exploit its called playing the game))
(((thats not to you its to some guy before who i care not to quote or find in the thread)))
Shanked..
Longshanks87

Postby linkfanpc » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Yeah! RnR! Rum and...MORE RUM!
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements