Game Development: The Danger Zone

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: The Danger Zone

Postby simimi » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:36 pm

burgingham wrote:The question that remains is if destruction takes time how can the attackers return to continue their work - if they are really that invested in it - without having to ram the wall yet again.

If fresh walls can be break with a punch, repearing is usless and attacker can finish the job the day after. Now the winner is the side who can bring the most fighters to finish the destruction/defend the next day.
simimi

Postby jaguar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:52 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
jaguar wrote:Should I rebuild my ram to use it again now? I started to build ram before update, now I tried to destroy my brickwall... 4 characters, 1 hour, 0% damage. :(

I'm going to guess their strength is too low.

Total str 500+
jaguar

Postby shubla » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:10 pm

Destroying brickwall on your own claim should be easier. Some hermits/noobs have no way of breaking brickwall without help. If they did mistake or want to add one more gate or something like that.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Pickard » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:40 pm

jaguar wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:
jaguar wrote:Should I rebuild my ram to use it again now? I started to build ram before update, now I tried to destroy my brickwall... 4 characters, 1 hour, 0% damage. :(

Total str 500+

Too low
w15 Trust me bro w14 Arcanum w13 Arcanum w12 Action w11 Willowroot w10 Dis w9 Hive w8 Core w7 H.A.W.X/Progress w6 Dis/Disneyland w5 Peace/Late Project
Pickard

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:43 pm

jaguar wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:

Total str 500+

Individual STR matters, not just total, but as Pickard said, 2low
DDDsDD999

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:56 pm

Side note: ram is player 1 damage + player 2 damage, etc, not the total strength. If it were the latter, you would need much more total strength than you currently need to use a ram on a brick wall. You just need to be able to generate 51+ damage to break a brick wall vs needing a total of 2651 STR. in other words, each player needs about 169 STR each (or an absolute minimum total of 169 * 3 + 144 = 751). For each person that puts out less than 13 damage, you need another person with that much more strength. This is all well explained on the wiki. http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Battering_Ram
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby iamahh » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:45 pm

One key issue with sieges is they are unpredictable and hard to conciliate with a healthy life habit.

To solve this problem mmo Lineage 2 used to have periodic siege time windows at saturdays, a siege npc in front of every castle where attackers and defenders had to signup for special benefits during those 2 hours or so. Battles were surprisingly fun and epic, lots of people showed up to defend because its always the same time.

Siege started, attackers and defenders who signup were flagged as 2 separate teams, so everyone could see easily who is who. Attacking players was free of consequences like scents during the battle. Battle had a time limit I believe 2h max, was enough for winning or getting stomped. Players were KO instead of killed, respawn and came back to fight until the NPCs were overcome and the throne room invaded.

Downside of periodic scheduled sieges is the lack of spontaneity, etc.

Upsides are you can organize your whole life, youre always prepared for a possible siege, call friends to defend ahead of time.

Ovverall it was a mechanic that valued the players mental well being, something some games ignore completely today. There seems to be a tendency to affect players emotionally in a bad way, and its something praised as hardcore. I fought less than 6 sieges in Lineage but those battles I cannot forget the fun adrenaline, summoning giant mechanic pigs with my dwarf, there was no mental downsides like i see today, just organized fun, and lots of players participated.
iamahh

Postby Aisha » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:43 am

can you not compare haven 2 with other mmos with over 10000 players? even if they had the same siege system haven does not support enough players for the content.. what the game needs is a better trial and gameplay to secure the player count so that there could be more pvp improvements, there is no point in updating pvp content when there aren't even any players playing the game due to the repetitive gameplay.

Aisha

Postby Pupsi » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:12 am

Please remove players count from front page.
w5 Hermit>Road Ville>Horde>RQ
w6 The Sparta
w7 Isla de la tortuga>A.D>CookieVille (not sure if it was w7 or w6)
w8 Amish Paradise
w9 Amish Paradise
w10 Amish Paradise > Maid Cafe (until april 2017)
w11 Funcy Huts
w12 :P
Pupsi

Postby simimi » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:49 am

Pupsi wrote:Please remove players count from front page.

simimi

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements