Game Development: The Danger Zone

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: The Danger Zone

Postby pedorlee » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:32 pm

infectedking wrote:
pedorlee wrote:Come on, AINRAN quitting its a constant. They talk a lot, they kill a lot of sprucecaps then they brag about it feeling like gods of pvp at pallibashing stage then they quit because reasons.Its devs fault because reasons again. We all know this things. Who are you teaching lessons about it.

PD: Englsih keyboard again, cant use simbols properly. Damn u devs xD

AINRAN wasn't the only faction in the game.

Uhhhhhh, so this guy who doesnt hide behind walls is getting cocky. I guess you have at least 10 strawberrys for us. Or maybe you are willing to tell us where you hide, brave boy.

pedorlee

Postby Ethan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:35 pm

loftar wrote:
Ethan wrote:From what I have read, all of your ideas so far have centered around time windows. Certain actions must be done during certain time windows. These actions then advance or halt the siege.

Just for the record, I do not think this is really the case. The battering ram may have been such a thing, but when we speak of "time-gates", we mostly mean intervals between actions rather than time windows under which any progress is allowed.

The difficult thing about time-gating is generally that objects being indestructible for a certain amount of time usually leads to weird consequences, like wanting 10 layers of brickwall, walling with houses, and whatnot.

Its mostly based on the "Some thoughts on Siege" thread. While I agree with you that the intention is an interval between actions. When there is immediately another interval after the previous, it is then advantageous to perform that action as soon as possible.

The siege then becomes more about who can perform the actions as quickly after the intervals as possible, which might as well then be a required window of action.

I saw this after I posted, and agree with it.
rye130 wrote:The better way to handle it, which I believe you've talked about before, is by allowing players to be able to progress the state of the raid/attack whenever they want. So if I log on and see that someone is attempting to attack me, I can work on stuff that will meaningfully delay or stop them from progressing. I'm not forced into playing during a certain window of time, but I can use my play time to do work defending.
Ethan

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:35 pm

strpk0 wrote:To be honest I think a good amount of people want more content updates instead of siege and war.

But every content update we make we get shit on for being unproductive and meaningless? ^^

Really, though, one of the main reasons we ourselves focus on it is because I think what the game really needs is more social interaction and happenings. People hermitting inside their walled compounds isn't very conducive to that, no matter how much content there is.

That not saying that we don't want to make content updates at all, mind you. It just seems like social dynamics is the real priority for the well-being of the game.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby infectedking » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:36 pm

pedorlee wrote:Uhhhhhh, so this guy who doesnt hide behind walls is getting cocky. I guess you have at least 10 strawberrys for us. Or maybe you are willing to tell us where you hide, brave boy.

I'm not going to have a shit flinging contest with you in the annoucement thread, i'd rather be here and discuss actual updates, not dick measuring.
dafels wrote:I like to be under Frosty's command.

Any Questions about the game or anything, hit me up on skype: deadlytroll1 Or you can find me in the hedgehug realm chat on discord.
W7: Hermit
W8: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W9: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W10: deserter-Peaceful Farmer of F&I
infectedking

Postby jorb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:36 pm

strpk0 wrote:To be honest I think a good amount of people want more content updates instead of siege and war. Yes, the current siege system allows for "farmville" to take place, and yes the PvP system is not as good as it could be. But perhaps the game could be more fun (right now) without necessarily having to add more siege and warfare into the mix.

Sure, quite possible. We're not sure were the priorities should lie, and if it were us developing this as a solo venture, I doubt we'd be spending this much time forcing solutions to large problems, and perhaps our time could, indeed, be better spent.

Then again there are a lot of legitimate complaints about the PvP system, and for that matter a lot of voices complaining that we don't listen to the cummunity, that the game is now spooky farmville, and all that jizz.

For my own part I wouldn't mind just adding more industries, or w/e, but I also don't think that the game will be all it can be until this siege nonsense is with some finality solved, or at least in a significantly better place than now.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Ethan wrote:When there is immediately another interval after the previous, it is then advantageous to perform that action as soon as possible.

If that were the only problem, though, then it would be easily fixed by "buffering" actions. So that, for instance, the number of actions you can perform increases once every X hours, and then you can burst them when you want to.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Kaios » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:42 pm

loftar wrote:But every content update we make we get shit for for being unproductive and meaningless? ^^

Really, though, one of the main reasons we ourselves focus on it is because I think what the game really needs is more social interaction and happenings. People hermitting inside their walled compounds isn't very conducive to that, no matter how much content there is.

That not saying that we don't want to make content updates at all, mind you. It just seems like social dynamics is the real priority for the well-being of the game.

You get shit because you aren't hitting the right spot at the right time, siege changes would have been fine a couple of months ago when most of us actually had a village to test out any changes with but now the dynamic has changed. Now you have to focus on getting players back which obviously means giving them something to do that isn't a fucking grindy boring chore fest.
Kaios

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:47 pm

Ethan wrote:I feel like the counter to that should be that a smaller faction is more mobile. Typically for a hermit his most valuable possession is his main character. Which in contrast to a 40 strong village, where there is a lot of overlap in the professions, which means the most valuable things are the industry, trees, cows, crops, ovens, anvils. Those things are much more difficult to move at the sign of danger.

I'm going to disagree with you on what a hermit values the most ... for me at least my base and my infrastructure is far more important to me than my char, as a hermit it takes twice as long to achieve anything of value unless you rely solely on trading, which I don't, to lose all those things you list will take me twice as long again to recover. This is why a good defence is vital to hermitting. I'm ok with slow progression, as a hermit I am not in a race to the finish line, my priorities every world are the same, make and secure my base and then work on raising q.

Ofc, I always have a back up industry/nature char should the worse happen - or in the case of this new version, just the one all rounder as a back up. :)

@ Loftar - in my experience it is more the big villages that remain hidden behind their walls, myself and all the hermits I know are always out and about and interacting with each other.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby pheonix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:47 pm

Why not stick with the current ram idea atm and instead create more options to attack a base depending on time and effort the raider wishes to put in for example.

Ram, long drying time is vulnerable to destruction. once ready you can smash a bloody big hole and pour in like water. Camping it and protecting it can be considered siege.
Siege tower, instant build (maybe a few hour dry time) incredibly bloody slow to push and acts as a ladder to jump over walls and only designed that you can only take that which you can put into inventory. (high material costs as its designed as a quick "raid"

Explosive barrel, stupidly expensive item to blow a 1 tile hole in a wall. designed for quick entry, but the offset is it takes weeks or longer to acquire the materials for it.

etc.
pheonix

Postby strpk0 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:48 pm

loftar wrote:
strpk0 wrote:To be honest I think a good amount of people want more content updates instead of siege and war.

But every content update we make we get shit for for being unproductive and meaningless? ^^

I kind of agree with Kaios, by the way ^.

I will say though from reading the other update posts, a lot of people were happy about changes like the charterstone and such things.
It is true that there are people that complain about PvP and whatnot, but I think it is also true that making any significant change to the way PvP and siege works right now that makes it less convenient and fun for the players will result in overall more unhappiness. People are too used to their old Haven and Hearth as it has been in a similar state for years upon years, and they have learned to enjoy it in that manner.

Hence why I bring up the world reset thing (which I'm not saying should happen anytime soon). Instead, I think if players knew from the get go that the next world will not be an easy one and will require some serious effort to be sucesful in, they would be able to see it coming. (Instead of just getting screwed over 4 months into a world all of the sudden and losing all of their progress).

Ultimately I don't know, either way. Some people (me included) are just waiting to see updates that make the game more fun and enjoyable for them so they can be more succesful in getting their friends to play and whatnot (and also hopefully reducing the rate at which their villages die out due to quitting and boredom). So if an update that just screws up that goal comes out (like a PvP or siege change for example) that will only make it worse. This is also why I mention more "content" updates.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements