Game Development: The Danger Zone

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: The Danger Zone

Postby Razikus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:20 pm

I have found a message from one Fisherman.

He want to post it in the forum.

Greetings from xOnline!

Razikus

Postby Colin500 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Add NPC guard to the ram whose stats are dependent of the ram quality :V
Colin500

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:59 pm

venatorvenator wrote:You still don't see that changing costs doesn't hinder abuse?

Clearly, though, that's not an absolute truth. Just as APXEOLOG noted earlier, noone ever walled in battering rams with initial-brickwall-cornerposts in Legacy, because that would have been ridiculously expensive and not worth it.

I mean, imagine if we introduced a "steel battering ram" built from 150 steel bars, which would have had a mere 6 hour waiting period. Bad idea for multiple reasons, probably, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment, at least. What would happen?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby infectedking » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:02 pm

loftar wrote:i mean, imagine if we introduced a "steel battering ram" built from 150 steel bars, which would have had a mere 6 hour waiting period. Bad idea for multiple reasons, probably, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment, at least. What would happen?

M8, if you made rams take 150steel bars, i would totally start up my steel factory as I planned, before wallgrade steel became useless apart from for gates.
dafels wrote:I like to be under Frosty's command.

Any Questions about the game or anything, hit me up on skype: deadlytroll1 Or you can find me in the hedgehug realm chat on discord.
W7: Hermit
W8: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W9: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W10: deserter-Peaceful Farmer of F&I
infectedking

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:05 pm

infectedking wrote:M8, if you made rams take 150steel bars, i would totally start up my steel factory as I planned, before wallgrade steel became useless apart from for gates.

Thank you for missing the point with the question. The real question is probably rather: would you use such rams to raid poor nubs, and at what cost does it become more absolutely meaningful? 1,500 steel? 15,000?
loftar

Postby jorb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:08 pm

Yeah, exactly. Fine, you start your steel massing factory farm, but are you really going to go through all those motions just to grief some small palisade camp?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Astarisk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:10 pm

loftar wrote:
venatorvenator wrote:You still don't see that changing costs doesn't hinder abuse?

Clearly, though, that's not an absolute truth. Just as APXEOLOG noted earlier, noone ever walled in battering rams with initial-brickwall-cornerposts in Legacy, because that would have been ridiculously expensive and not worth it.

I mean, imagine if we introduced a "steel battering ram" built from 150 steel bars, which would have had a mere 6 hour waiting period. Bad idea for multiple reasons, probably, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment, at least. What would happen?

I wouldn't say that it was ridiculously expensive in legacy, especially since we all had bots to just make bricks and wrought, it was just more of a logistics nightmare. Spending the time to create a bunch of cornerposts surrounding a ram in a manner that would allow you to safely log off enough characters with stre to bash the wall. So at that point we'd have to pretty much surround a house (So they aren't free game for archers) and the ram with cornerposts. Likewise, village and wall designs generally made raiding these places quite worthless. Most people had vaults were all anything worth value was stored, and these were typically on islands where such a set up wasn't possible, etc etc etc.

Increasing the costs of rams would just lead people to bot the materials needed if it becomes too costly.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby pedorlee » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:12 pm

If the Knights detect a steel farm of that magnitude we will start a siege. And you dont want that.
pedorlee

Postby Redlaw » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:12 pm

No they would just use a Sledge Hammer and a lot of strength. Skip the ram and save it for something bigger, well that is how i see it. Why fire up a bunch of steel when you can make a hammer and get the job done?

The lack of strength and a hammer though would make people think before they use a ram for someone tiny place with nothing in it.
Redlaw

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Astarisk wrote:I wouldn't say that it was ridiculously expensive in legacy, especially since we all had bots to just make bricks and wrought, it was just more of a logistics nightmare.

Perhaps, but even if it is the time and effort involved in transporting the bricks rather than the bricks themselves, that still means that there exist resources that make you care.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements