Game Development: The Danger Zone

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: The Danger Zone

Postby jorb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:22 pm

One thought we've had is that it'd be nice if there were symmetry between attacker and defender in that: If you go on the offense, your production line is left vulnerable. However, this ambition is easily foiled by the creation of specific war villages, or the like, by which the symmetrical risk the attacker takes through attacking is partitioned away to a meaningless alt village without meaningful production lines.

The perhaps best realization we've had of this thought is that of a "Raid Moon". I.e. a server global time window -- eight hours once each week, say -- during which the game takes on more the character of a free for all; raiding is significantly easier. Under such conditions it is by definition true that the state of being able to attack someone is intrinsically linked to the state of being oneself possible to attack in return.

Under a "Raid Moon" system, however, it seems likely that PvP simply becomes a question of who can leverage more combat ready characters. Is this desirable?

Please discuss.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:29 pm

One seemingly nice thing about the present ram system is that it doesn't seem to lend itself particularly well to resource spam. If you build a ram, someone -- apparently -- needs to manually watch it for 24 hours, and -- apparently -- this is enough of a chore to be a meaningful deterrent to crime and warfare. Spamming more rams doesn't help the situation, and that seems like a largely good thing.

Is there any formulation or change to the ram's mechanics that would be good, or better than what presently exists?

Say: 24 hour drying time, 12 hour window of destruction? 24/18? 48/12?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby LadyV » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:31 pm

No I think it only delves more into a dangerous area. If thats your honest proposal then stick with legacy siege. At least it would be more fair.

I'd still say siege should be abstract rather than direct, short of the breech part.
LadyV

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:34 pm

LadyV wrote:No I think it only delves more into a dangerous area. If thats your honest proposal then stick with legacy siege.

Please don't look at these things as proposals that just need your vote for or against, but rather as thought experiments, to be played around with and explored to perhaps find positive or negative aspects that can be developed upon.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby infectedking » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:36 pm

loftar wrote:
LadyV wrote:No I think it only delves more into a dangerous area. If thats your honest proposal then stick with legacy siege.

Please don't look at these things as proposals that just need your vote for or against, but rather as thought experiments, to be played around with and explored to perhaps find positive or negative aspects that can be developed upon.

Here's a thought for an experiment, what if we actually had a voting system to what should be prioritized for updates.
dafels wrote:I like to be under Frosty's command.

Any Questions about the game or anything, hit me up on skype: deadlytroll1 Or you can find me in the hedgehug realm chat on discord.
W7: Hermit
W8: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W9: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W10: deserter-Peaceful Farmer of F&I
infectedking

Postby LadyV » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:36 pm

loftar wrote:

jorb wrote:Under a "Raid Moon" system, however, it seems likely that PvP simply becomes a question of who can leverage more combat ready characters. Is this desirable?

Please discuss.

Jorb asked and I answered. No was my answer.
LadyV

Postby jorb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:37 pm

infectedking wrote:Here's a thought for an experiment, what if we actually had a voting system to what should be prioritized for updates.

"Hey, jorb, why don't you engage the forums more? You know, ask for input, and a few good ideas?"

jorb

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:38 pm

LadyV wrote:Jorb asked and I answered. No was my answer.

I think it is fair to say that it was a rhetorical question to invite discussion around, rather than a concrete "yes/no" question.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby infectedking » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:39 pm

jorb wrote:
infectedking wrote:Here's a thought for an experiment, what if we actually had a voting system to what should be prioritized for updates.

"Hey, jorb, why don't you engage the forums more? You know, ask for input, and a few good ideas?"

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=44454&start=10#p603024 nuff said
dafels wrote:I like to be under Frosty's command.

Any Questions about the game or anything, hit me up on skype: deadlytroll1 Or you can find me in the hedgehug realm chat on discord.
W7: Hermit
W8: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W9: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W10: deserter-Peaceful Farmer of F&I
infectedking

Postby Astarisk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:40 pm

loftar wrote:
Astarisk wrote:I wouldn't say that it was ridiculously expensive in legacy, especially since we all had bots to just make bricks and wrought, it was just more of a logistics nightmare.

Perhaps, but even if it is the time and effort involved in transporting the bricks rather than the bricks themselves, that still means that there exist resources that make you care.

I've done far more time consuming things for a raid, such as building a 10+ hour road to zox's this world. Generally the effort involved is equal to how good the loot is, and the chance it'll succeed. Most cases in legacy hafen, anything worth that amount of effort had every counter measure to almost guarantee it'll fail. i.e: it's on an island, they have counter rams, patrol bots are used etc.

This is all just my preferences and opinion though, but if I thought it'd work and the target and goals were worthwhile, I'd have surrounded a ram with brickwall cornerposts.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements