Game Development: Prelude

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Prelude

Postby DPblH » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:40 am

Any info about world size?
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby loftar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:42 am

DPblH wrote:Any info about world size?

Initially, I imagine we'll make it as large as worlds 3-7 started out; that is, 25,000×25,000 tiles, and enlarge it as/when/if necessary. But, it's not a fixed number that I am in any way committed to.

Generally, as regards world size, the ideal that I'm striving for is really that the world should be able to be indefinitely large -- preferably, even generate more map on-the-fly as player close in on the edges. However, I recognize that under the current mechanics, people just spread out unsoundly much and the entire game world feels empty. The currently sized world would probably feel empty even if we had 100 or even 1,000 times more players than we currently do, and that is probably not as it should for an MMO. I'm far from sure what mechanics would lead to a world feeling healthy and sound while also being indefinitely large, but I'll keep striving for them.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DPblH » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:49 am

Also, any changes on fate forage curios?

And what size of the world is it now? 21x21 SG?
Last edited by DPblH on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby Archiplex » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:50 am

loftar wrote:
DPblH wrote:Any info about world size?

Initially, I imagine we'll make it as large as worlds 3-7 started out; that is, 25,000×25,000 tiles, and enlarge it as/when/if necessary. But, it's not a fixed number that I am in any way committed to.

Generally, as regards world size, the ideal that I'm striving for is really that the world should be able to be indefinitely large -- preferably, even generate more map on-the-fly as player close in on the edges. However, I recognize that under the current mechanics, people just spread out unsoundly much and the entire game world feels empty. The currently sized world would probably feel empty even if we had 100 or even 1,000 times more players than we currently do, and that is probably not as it should for an MMO. I'm far from sure what mechanics would lead to a world feeling healthy and sound while also being indefinitely large, but I'll keep striving for them.

Has the idea of a less "randomly" constructed world and something more like continents and chains of islands been thought of?

Would probably make the entire thing less of a headache
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby bmjclark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:50 am

Will there still be a central grid that everyone spawns in? Or will it be random spawning like before. I think the central grid was a huge mistake tbh.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Kaios » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:51 am

Kaios

Postby Shadow7168 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:53 am

Kaios wrote:-snip-

Spooky. Wonder who the lucky group was?
Potjeh wrote:They're using swords as throwing weapons now? Damn cheaters!

MagicManICT wrote:Most raiders aren't into choking another man's chicken. They can do some pretty gay shit, but that's usually the line.
Shadow7168

Postby loftar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:55 am

Archiplex wrote:Has the idea of a less "randomly" constructed world and something more like continents and chains of islands been thought of?

Depends on what you mean by "randomly constructed". I don't see any future in which we'll draw a world by hand rather than letting the computer do it for us, if that's what you mean. I wouldn't mind it if the mapgen could generate continents and whatnot, though (however, I am less keen on an "archipelago" map, but mostly for lore reasons).

DPblH wrote:Also, any changes on fate forage curios?

We are having thoughts on it, but I'm not sure I want to reveal those, at least yet.

DPblH wrote:And what size of the world is it now? 21x21 SG?

It's actually non-rectangular, but the "bounds" are 175,000×175,000 tiles. "Supergrids" are not a relevant concept; those were just the 5,000×5,000 units of map that the Legacy mapgen generated in one batch.

bmjclark wrote:Will there still be a central grid that everyone spawns in? Or will it be random spawning like before. I think the central grid was a huge mistake tbh.

Haven't decided on that yet.
loftar

Postby boshaw » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:55 am

Shadow7168 wrote:
Kaios wrote:-snip-

Spooky. Wonder who the lucky group was?

¦]
boshaw

Postby loftar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 am

boshaw wrote:[screenshot]

It would be more convincing if you posted one with someone sacrificed on. :)
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements