Game Development: Prelude pt. II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Prelude pt. II

Postby shubla » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:46 pm

dafels wrote:
Orcling wrote:
Amanda44 wrote: it's brutal out there.

Seeing a line of 10+ fishing Bots is brutal. :(
Fuck botters.

destroy the boats lel if they are fishing in boats)

And if they arent. Kill them all by luring animal.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby bmjclark » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:42 am

People asking for a wipe already :lol: . New record?
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Orcling » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:53 pm

dafels wrote:
Orcling wrote:
Amanda44 wrote: it's brutal out there.

Seeing a line of 10+ fishing Bots is brutal. :(
Fuck botters.

destroy the boats lel if they are fishing in boats)

No boats ;(
If anyone is interested, they're in the northwestern corner. I can share a map once i bother to stitch it together.
Orcling

Postby RamboMesser » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:31 pm

kill them all!
RamboMesser

Postby linkfanpc » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:24 am

naosnule wrote:
Grable wrote:Is there a reason why you aren't locking the accounts to only allow creating one character? This means dedicated players who want to spam alts and progress at the fastest rate will have to sub multiple accounts, which should result in either more revenue for you or less alts in the world, or most likely, both. Win-win?

This. Allow only one character per account, thx.

No. Make it one connection per IP. I live with my two brothers, who need me to not only to have a char to play with both of them, but two others to play solo with each of them, plus i need a char to just hermit by myself. So, i need 4 chars.
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby sabinati » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:03 am

but only one of you could play if it was one connection per IP...

anyway why don't you and your brothers just all play together?
sabinati

Postby Danno » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:28 am

jorb wrote:
Astarisk and a lot of others wrote:I don't think it incentive's enough to sub

Good! That hopefully means we're not standing in the way of the game.

It's much easier for us to increase the incentives to sub later on, than to go in the other direction and reduce them. If we find that this model doesn't better approximate the optimal solution then we can easily add more incentives to sub, but I'd rather start out with something that is comparatively mild, and try to go from there. That was always the intention, tbt, but with the subscription time we miscalculated badly on what the incentives actually were. I hope this is better.

If given the simple choice I'd much rather make one dollar each from a thousand people, than ten from a hundred.

If only someone warned you about these problems 5 months in the past...

If only someone had enough insight and good intentions to voluntarily offer better solutions...
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=533239&sid=c19de1283328b4c3517326442798ad2a#p533239
The gist of it: instead of punishing cheapo players, you should reward the paying customers. Let them buy the features they've requested numerous times throughout the years.
INSTEAD OF FORCING UPON THEM A SYSTEM THEY HATE, GIVE THEM SOMETHING THEY'VE BEEN BEGGING FOR.

But what would I know? I'm just a filthy, ignorant casual, like thousands before me and thousands after me who played your game for less than a week and quit.
RIP
Danno

Postby Scubas » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:00 am

Hey, so back in the olden days when my friend I and suggested stat caps and we were laughed out of the room by both the players and devs alike, remember that? And now you implement them. Huh. After I was told to "git gud" and shove bear salami up my ass all day and night for literal weeks, you finally think stat caps are a good idea. Boy howdy.

fucking idiots. I'm glad you took onboard those considerations only about 2 years after they were brought up. Man just imagine all those people that quit because of stat caps. Oh wait, no one did. Because that would be retarded.

I swear to god, there are literally 0 developers that are as incompetent as you guys when it comes to listening to your players' feedback. Special consideration to the fact that for the past 5+ years we have been nothing more than glorified alpha testers. Yet no one wants to listen to any fucking feedback because you think your crappy game is perfect as-is. Critique and ideas forum shouldn't even exist, really. If it stays, you should be a bit more upfront about it and put a big note saying that no one is going to take anything from that forum onboard for at least 2 years from the date of post.

Here's me putting in my next suggestion so i can go ahead and get in line for that 2 year wait time - this 3d amalgamation of terror that is hafen looks terrible. there was nothing wrong with sprucing up 2d haven but yeah 3d was totally the way to go. tell me what you think in 2 years.
Scubas

Postby MightySheep » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:06 am

are you really this salty over the fact that some game devs didnt immediately implement the thing that you told them to?

like youre some super important person lol, this game would be so fucked up if the devs listened to every whiny retard in critique subforum
MightySheep

Postby jorb » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:54 am

Scubas wrote:Hey, so back in the olden days when my friend I and suggested stat caps and we were laughed out of the room by both the players and devs alike, remember that? And now you implement them. Huh. After I was told to "git gud" and shove bear salami up my ass all day and night for literal weeks, you finally think stat caps are a good idea. Boy howdy.

I'm not sure I think that, though. We're first and foremost trying it out. I have several objections to it that I maintain. Implementing them is not, and was not, a foregone conclusion.

fucking idiots. I'm glad you took onboard those considerations only about 2 years after they were brought up. Man just imagine all those people that quit because of stat caps. Oh wait, no one did. Because that would be retarded.

Good day to you too. That last part is not true. We had a couple of subscriptions canceled over the issue.

I swear to god, there are literally 0 developers that are as incompetent as you guys when it comes to listening to your players' feedback.

We spend about a third of every patch doing nothing but taking feedback into account, whether through bug fixes or C&I ideas. My principal development document that we work from contains nothing but suggestions and bug reports. That being said we certainly try to discriminate in what feedback we take into account, because at any given moment there is feedback available in virtually every direction imaginable. Sometimes we may for that matter perhaps even need time to come around to a particular perspective. Imagine that.

What we do try to maintain at all times is our own sense of direction. At the end of the day it is important to us, I think, that it is our game. Take it or leave it.

Special consideration to the fact that for the past 5+ years we have been nothing more than glorified alpha testers.

There is nothing glorified about your status as alpha testers. You are alpha testers, quite simply. We have never claimed otherwise, and in fact we have tried to stress the point.

Yet no one wants to listen to any fucking feedback because you think your crappy game is perfect as-is. Critique and ideas forum shouldn't even exist, really. If it stays, you should be a bit more upfront about it and put a big note saying that no one is going to take anything from that forum onboard for at least 2 years from the date of post.

I don't think the game is perfect at all. In no way, shape, or form. The food system is the only system I'm reasonably happy with, and I think most of the others have serious flaws.

Here's me putting in my next suggestion so i can go ahead and get in line for that 2 year wait time - this 3d amalgamation of terror that is hafen looks terrible. there was nothing wrong with sprucing up 2d haven but yeah 3d was totally the way to go. tell me what you think in 2 years.

I'm sorry you feel that way -- 2d certainly has its charm -- but we chose 3d more for its technical advantages than for its aesthetics. Things like variable materials, animations, and the creation of more complex sprites, simply cannot be meaningfully done in 2d.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements