Game Development: Prelude pt. II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Prelude pt. II

Postby LadyGoo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Any updates tonight?
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Turtlesir » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:38 pm

Granger wrote:You can do that on a wilderness spawn?

Edit: That would be 80+ items to discover (given 50LP per item)...

it's 65 LP per discovery and some things give double or triple that because of different categories. with 44 trees and 22 bushes, yeah you get there pretty fast.
Turtlesir

Postby LadyV » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Granger wrote:While the resources are fun, the problem is that the first ones to get to the ice thingies and the mussels have instantly enough LP to spam claims over all of them as fast as they can find them (at the rate of ~1.5 claims per chicken spawn found).

They should start empty, so that you can't chain-rush them by gains from the last found enabling to claim the next few.

Additionally it would be good if it would be somehow impossible to wall them in, because at some point there won't be an unclaimed one left and since they're requirement for village idols now this means that it'll be impossible for latecomers to erect a village sooner than later.

Concussion is OP in terms that getting random aggro from wildlife (which is 99% sure KO unless you're in a boat) in the beginning hinders your progress to much (because you're then severly limited in LP gain, since your skills suddenly suck completely). With concussions you effectively multiplied the penalty for fucking up whatever way, please keep in mind that a game should be fun.

PS from my moderator alter ego:
Wipe most likely won't happen (even when I would be fine with it), so please don't get started about that.

Yes these were some of my concerns as well. The special resources should start empty. With world size added in one person who aggressively explores could easily horde many. it speed the game up to fast and with your goal of not needing resets you shoot yourself in the foot.

As for claiming them the healing one and the ice one should not be claimable. They quickly become precious resources. I would even venture to say as valuable as they are no claim or structure can be made within a certain distance else you corrupt the node and render it useless. A bit of an extreme but they are quite powerful.

Concussions are annoying I will agree but I would rather have them than the cuts and such as they heal over time vs. needing a bandage.

World size is to small.

I agree Granger I highly doubt we will see a reset. New worlds are a lot of work for Jorb and Loftar and I imagine they want more data before that.

Edit: @Jorb The healing item can it heal in combat? If so its way overpowered.
LadyV

Postby Kaios » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:26 pm

I personally don't think they had nearly enough content completed or being worked on to reset last world so doing one now when it is just beginning seems crazy to me.

I don't think the world is too small but decreasing the size and then allowing for spawning all over kind of conflicts with each other.
Kaios

Postby LadyV » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Kaios wrote:I personally don't think they had nearly enough content completed or being worked on to reset last world so doing one now when it is just beginning seems crazy to me.

I don't think the world is too small but decreasing the size and then allowing for spawning all over kind of conflicts with each other.

I agree skill tree needs greatly increased. Yes the world size is a problem, more so with random spawns all over. The old method still holds true randoms spawn alts till you find good areas. With a smaller world groups and bot users gain an advantage by using this method.
LadyV

Postby DaniAngione » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:55 pm

I think that it's a combination of arguably not so bad design decisions that unfortunately, when combined, resulted in a bad situation overall for many players:

1. Decreasing world size - Not a bad call per se. World 8 was too big, a smaller world would be welcome.
2. Spawning everywhere - Again, not a bad decision. Though it removes the 'prospect' of exploring the unknown and venturing far to where no other hearthling has been, it spreads the population more reasonable across the map.
3. The new resources - Probably the arguably worst decision here, because the idea itself is great but the execution and balancing are... let's say... weird.

Thing is, when you combine these 3 things, you get the recipe for disaster. You have a huge population that was waiting for reset, cramped all around on a small map where you can't find 'isolated' places AND you get incredibly unbalanced/non-sensical resources that allowed a lot of people to get murder rage before even planting a seed.

The game is not meant to be fair or balanced, that is true, it does mean to provide ways people can mitigate or counter the efforts of others, however. I like the example Jorb himself used to describe Nidbanes, for instance: it's a 'cruise missile' you can throw back at aggressors, especially when they're too strong for you to handle. So... although the hearthlands are a grim, cruel place, there are things that were designed to "give everyone a shot". What happened to this world is that it leaped this kind of natural balance all over, allowing people to murder each other without care BEFORE anyone was given the chance to "use" the mechanics meant to counter these things. (Nidbanes use Wax, after all) Not fearing any possible kind of retribution makes it easier for people to commit acts that would generally have a greater weight.

So I don't see the decisions as bad decisions (individually). I see a very complicated/frustrating/annoying early game that is happening because of the combination of these decisions, and unfortunately there's not much to do now except endure and try to survive. I foresee that mid-late game will get relatively easier - for those that survive and manage to get a settlement up - because, on the other hand, we now have some interesting new realities to deal with, like the non-existance of palibashers and caps that - while arguably a bad thing overall - will also allow not-so-hardcore people to have more balanced grounds against stronger groups.

So... we'll have to see what happens on the upcoming weeks... It's a big noob-slaughterfest for now, though.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Yeah, tbh I think all your points are valid, Granger, Kaios and Dani, and have been saying much the same thing myself to everyone ... on the other hand we did complain that last world was slow and boring ..... well, it certainly isn't that now! :lol:

I sort of wonder if this world isn't just a dev joke on us for complaining before. :)

I'd happily go back to last world now, lol, it's brutal out there.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Orcling » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:39 pm

Amanda44 wrote: it's brutal out there.

Seeing a line of 10+ fishing Bots is brutal. :(
Fuck botters.
Orcling

Postby dvsmasta » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Orcling wrote:

Fuck botters.

No bot required - just fire up default client and open the chest with bait and your good to go
dvsmasta

Postby dafels » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:42 pm

Orcling wrote:

Fuck botters.

destroy the boats lel if they are fishing in boats)
dafels

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements