Game Development: Colorful Troll

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Colorful Troll

Postby Delamore » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:33 pm

time to get killed by troll, less than time to get troll graphical resource from server
hahahaha
Delamore

Postby Undefined » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Attempted to tame 5 horses so far, missing window resulted in despawn all 5 times. Gay.
The very idea of occasionally being instantly killed while mining for no reason at all. Also Gay.
Trolls should at least have a counter of some kind, if not they seem like a dumb addition, even something super simple like they spawn only if the area isn't under a mine support or if you don't have troll repelling candles crafted from Q90 earwax burning within 10 tiles. Any kind of counter regardless of difficulty/effort/hassle to set up, as it stands if I'm happily mining away and a troll spawns I'm going to die, period. There's no time to put up a defense, no time to run and 90% of the time even if there was you have your mining cursor up and are out of stamina anyway.
It's the equivalent of having giant ants with a 1 in woteva chance of spawning every time you forage something, a killer bee with a 1 in woteva chance of instantly killing you when you harvest honey.
What's the point?
Undefined

Postby Granger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Undefined, while I share your view that the mechanics are bad, I don't share your classification of them being happy or good-spirited.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Thedrah » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:25 pm

so far i have tamed 4 horses and all without trouble. except first few days but idk if it was timing or accidentally leashing them
i stand behind a wall or stockpile and wave around a rope. any horse that thrashes, i left hook until i hit 200hp damage then punch until they give in. using 40ua and 40armor absorption (armor speeds it up as i only throw up quick dodge as defense) but they will hurt for a lot if no defenses (about 100 at most)
  ▲
▲ ▲
Thedrah

Postby jorb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:19 pm

Note for custom client makers: Loftar just pushed some resource format changes to the client which you will need whenever we patch this week, so if you want to be prepared you can be.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Granger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:53 pm

jorb wrote:Note for custom client makers: Loftar just pushed some resource format changes to the client which you will need whenever we patch this week, so if you want to be prepared you can be.

Good to know.

But no comment on troll mechanic complaints?
Come on, please.
Granger

Postby jorb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:57 pm

I commented in some other thread. We're probably changing it one way or another.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Granger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:04 pm

jorb wrote:I commented in some other thread. We're probably changing it one way or another.

In case anyone is interested: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47673&p=622234#p622234
Granger

Postby Undefined » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:53 pm

Just had one spawn on me. On level 1 it didn't seem super lethal, though it did immediately get a massive hit on me, my auto-queue of quick dodge on combat start mod probably saved me from the second giving me a chance to speed 4 out of there, luckily I was near the entrance and had just refilled stamina really, I think 3-4 hits and I would have been toast, I had an AC of 26/24.
It's really put me off mining for now.
Undefined

Postby Cajoes » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:53 am

Sets out to create a mob that requires co'ordination and multiple participants to bring down.

Ends up making one that pops out without any warning and bitchslaps you for massive damage then despawns before any meaningful retaliation can be mustered. Trolls do not despawn. - Ed

Addendum: In a biome/area that is notorious for having no room for any clever movement tactics in. IE: Mineshafts. Block it in, wittle it down at range.

What went wrong here?
Last edited by Cajoes on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cajoes

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements