Game Development: Mammoth

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mammoth

Postby jorb » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:32 pm

Cypress and plane tree.

Thanks, Ferinex. Hope to keep it up.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby leanne69 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Thanks a lot Jorb!! I really like it :P
King of Dis, fiancé of LadyGoo
leanne69

Postby synaris » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:00 am

i can confirm mammoths can spawn on brown plains. i havnt seen any on green grasslands. if someone would bother posting the exact names of all the terrains, i could tell you which one.
Newbie and noob do not mean the same thing.

Neither do figuratively and literally.
synaris

Postby Turtlesir » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:43 am

synaris wrote:i can confirm mammoths can spawn on brown plains. i havnt seen any on green grasslands. if someone would bother posting the exact names of all the terrains, i could tell you which one.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=43711
Turtlesir

Postby Itanu » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:21 am

Personally I think mammoths are too weak. Their health seems about right, but their damage/ua doesn't seem strong enough. If you think about it, there is basically no way a single person in real life could EVER reliably kill a mammoth in single combat. Maybe if they were batshit insane and like jumped on its head and stuck a spear down its neck or something. But being able to just stand there and tank attacks? A five ton behemoth shouldn't just bounce off your armor. I think they should be buffed so that there is no way that one person could hold their ground against it, and fighting should require a large, coordinated group, like so:
Itanu

Postby Glorthan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:56 am

Itanu wrote:Personally I think mammoths are too weak. Their health seems about right, but their damage/ua doesn't seem strong enough. If you think about it, there is basically no way a single person in real life could EVER reliably kill a mammoth in single combat. Maybe if they were batshit insane and like jumped on its head and stuck a spear down its neck or something. But being able to just stand there and tank attacks? A five ton behemoth shouldn't just bounce off your armor. I think they should be buffed so that there is no way that one person could hold their ground against it, and fighting should require a large, coordinated group.

If animals had armour pierce % like ants do, it'd probably be enough. Hunting with decent armour is super easy with a horse to run the animals down, even with low stats.
Glorthan

Postby synaris » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:19 am

Turtlesir wrote:
synaris wrote:i can confirm mammoths can spawn on brown plains. i havnt seen any on green grasslands. if someone would bother posting the exact names of all the terrains, i could tell you which one.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=43711

its dryflat .
Newbie and noob do not mean the same thing.

Neither do figuratively and literally.
synaris

Postby Potjeh » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:46 am

The problem with animals that can reliably defeat a single player is that they will reliably defeat members of a group one at a time.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Zeler » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:53 am

Potjeh wrote:The problem with animals that can reliably defeat a single player is that they will reliably defeat members of a group one at a time.

fix combat pls
Zeler

Postby lachlaan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Separate hunting from pvp. Some other mmo games I've played have seen fit to separate pve and pvp gear and skillsets because balancing one usually murders the other. The hunting minigame should be reasonably hard, but doable with skill more than armor and defense spamming. Perhaps give animals turn speeds, limit attacks to cone areas that make sense for each attack. Make people need to dodge or flank. Make attacks be negated by more reasons defenses. A weak boring / blunt attsck would need a shield. A clawing/slicing attack metal armor. A mammoth boring would need you to dodge or be shattered for a month if alive at all. But such a system would require optimizations to actually make such combat (or pvp for that matter) viable.
lachlaan

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements