Divine Judgment: The Case of Willy Potter vs. Tartarus

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Divine Judgment: The Case of Willy Potter vs. Tartarus

Postby banok » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:30 pm

when I last visited tartarus they were active and I distinctly remember telling them to wall that charter. BUT even if they had palisaded the charter the gate it WOULDNT HAVE MATTERED.

because that gate would also be open, its purpose being to give vistor debuff. Basically entire security was relying on vistor debuff, bad idea maybe but its game design's fault it failed not the players.

Odditowns unreported exploit is using the hearthfire to bypass the vistor debuff. You ironically gave a cape in last patch for reporting simular exploit

jorb wrote:[*] Fixed a bug by which it was possible to scatter past the visitor debuff by using roads outside of gates. Reported in PM, cape awarded.

So this OP basically just says tartarus security wasn't good enough because they relied to heavily on poorly designed new game mechanics.

Tbh the vistor debuff mechanic is more likely to screw players over who misunderstand its obtuse and exploitable mechanics, than protect them. I think it should probably just be scrapped entirely.
banok

Postby loftar » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:33 pm

banok wrote:because that gate would also be open, its purpose being to give vistor debuff.

Well yes, and it would have done that. Had the wizards constructed their minehole inside the charterstone palisade, they would have gotten their visitor debuffs when exiting that palisade after going through the minehole. And they couldn't have built the minehole outside the palisade, since that would have left them unable to commit vandalism to build the minehole.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:37 pm

I also have to question the purpose of leaving an accessible charter stone with full access to the rest of the village with open spawning on. So that random travelers can happen into the village and...? Spawn an alt by it?

I agree that the visitor debuff can be problematic in that we will never know 100% if it is bug free, and it has a number of potentially odd interfaces with various mechanics, but as such it does work, and would have worked in this case as well, had the charter stone been walled. I think it is somewhat fair if it has to be used with some caution. Whether through error or bug the consequences can be pretty damning if it does fail.

When it works I think it is a pretty good addition to the game.

But, hey, this is a hard case.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Kaios » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:38 pm

fyi it's always been a good idea to keep gates closed, that never changed with visitor

Or did you forget about when walking through a gate on a horse gave no visitor at all, players being able to aggro through gates, being able to pull animals in to smash objects, etc.
Kaios

Postby Duane » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:40 pm

jorb wrote:When it works I think it is a pretty good addition to the game.

I think it's just a feature that people aren't used to using. "Here's this thing that works if you walk into someone else's gate." doesn't immediately make people think that everything needs a gate.

Everybody mad. It's a game with permadeath. They'll be mad a while. But it's not a failure of mechanics, it's a failure to grasp those mechanics.
Duane

Postby Raffeh » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:43 pm

jorb wrote:I also have to question the purpose of leaving an accessible charter stone with full access to the rest of the village with open spawning on. So that random travelers can happen into the village and...? Spawn an alt by it?

I agree that the visitor debuff can be problematic in that we will never know 100% if it is bug free, and it has a number of potentially odd interfaces with various mechanics, but as such it does work, and would have worked in this case as well, had the charter stone been walled. I think it is somewhat fair if it has to be used with some caution. Whether through error or bug the consequences can be pretty damning if it does fail.

I think its safe to say, that it was being stockpiled off after uses and after we have had many players go inactive and others on other larger projects. It seems that the remaining players must have used it recently and was being negligent in stock piling it back off.

At least this is now common knowledge to the masses, and as always R'lyeh pulls through in getting rekt for the greater good :D
TRAITORS WILL BE SHOT.
Raffeh

Postby Astarisk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:44 pm

IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby sabinati » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Raffeh wrote:
jorb wrote:I also have to question the purpose of leaving an accessible charter stone with full access to the rest of the village with open spawning on. So that random travelers can happen into the village and...? Spawn an alt by it?

I think its safe to say, that it was being stockpiled off after uses and after we have had many players go inactive and others on other larger projects. It seems that the remaining players must have used it recently and was being negligent in stock piling it back off.

At least this is now common knowledge to the masses, and as always R'lyeh pulls through in getting rekt for the greater good :D

what was the logic behind stockpiling around it instead of just putting a fence on it?
sabinati

Postby 1MoreGamer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Why should you avoid players near salt sources? Because they're SALTY.
1MoreGamer

Postby MightySheep » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 pm

sabinati wrote:what was the logic behind stockpiling around it instead of just putting a fence on it?

THERE IS NO LOGIC its called being lazy and stupid :lol:

I didnt build this thing (or any things rly) but I assume the stones were temporary placehold for palisade, but since EVERYBODY LEFT trivial things like this were long forgotten.

Sure, the gates are still open. I would recommend visiting here instead though:
http://odditown.com/haven/map/#x=87.4&y=-7.35&zoom=9
Apparently you can bug raid them, ddos them, hack their accounts ITS ALL OPEN SEASON. That's what "lift our protective hand from the Wizards" means right? :P
MightySheep

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements