Game Development: Grade-A Milk

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Grade-A Milk

Postby 1MoreGamer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:40 pm

The finale of Homestuck.
Then this.

best
day
ever.

:D :mrgreen: :lol: :P :o
Why should you avoid players near salt sources? Because they're SALTY.
1MoreGamer

Postby smileyguy4you » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:57 pm

i know it'll be slightly annoying, but can we get an accept menu to accept the teaching of a discoverable (if its not there already)? I can already see some griefing techniques to gimp noobs by spamming them with taught discoveries to limit their lp gain...i know small amount in the scheme of things and a fringe case, but could be a problem.

edit: an accept menu could be a problem too, maybe a toggle like swimming to turn learning on or off?
smileyguy4you

Postby Potjeh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Real card games also have a lot more card interaction. Like how with white deck in MTG you stack up a bunch of commanders to make your cheap troops a lot tougher, or with green setting up cards that synergize for massive mana production. I think Haven combat could go this route, with powerful moves like Cleave not being balanced by long cooldowns but by requiring specific cards to be on the table before it can be played. Similarly we could have enchantment cards that buff/debuff specific cards for one or both of the combatants. The idea is to let big decks throw some curveballs, to counterbalance the reliability and spamability of small decks.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Ysh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Potjeh wrote:Real card games also have a lot more card interaction. Like how with white deck in MTG you stack up a bunch of commanders to make your cheap troops a lot tougher, or with green setting up cards that synergize for massive mana production. I think Haven combat could go this route, with powerful moves like Cleave not being balanced by long cooldowns but by requiring specific cards to be on the table before it can be played. Similarly we could have enchantment cards that buff/debuff specific cards for one or both of the combatants. The idea is to let big decks throw some curveballs, to counterbalance the reliability and spamability of small decks.

I also play MTG. If there was no minimum decks size, you can start with a winning hand every game. Even with the colors as they are, except maybe in something like standard since the power level is shitcans there. All the playable decks will be T1 combo though, it will be silly.

You do make a good point that there will tend to be one ''best deck'' in Haven without some conditions (like magic color mana) to prevent just using best cards. I do not think adding this will be sufficient to stop people using as few cards as possible. I do think doing something like this is a good idea, if the current system will continue as a cards system.

Edit: I should also mentioning: nobody plays more than 60 cards in constructed or 40 on limited. Unless some massive edge cases like Battle of Wits deck. Maybe you can argue for 61/41st card for mana ratio perfection, but even that is controversial.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby barra » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Ysh wrote:Trading cards game have minimum deck sizing rules. They do not have maximum deck sizing rules. It will always be best to use the least cards possible.

In card games there's often a penalty for hitting the bottom of your deck. What if a player in H&H took a percent of SHP damage (explained as combat fatigue) each time they empty their combat deck? It would also give more reason to discover multiples of the same skill, so you could have a bigger deck and use that skill more times before taking the damage.
loftar wrote:You do appear to need a good trolling.
barra

Postby Ysh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:53 pm

barra wrote:
Ysh wrote:Trading cards game have minimum deck sizing rules. They do not have maximum deck sizing rules. It will always be best to use the least cards possible.

In card games there's often a penalty for hitting the bottom of your deck. What if a player in H&H took a percent of SHP damage (explained as combat fatigue) each time they empty their combat deck? It would also give more reason to discover multiples of the same skill, so you could have a bigger deck and use that skill more times before taking the damage.

This seems quite a clever solution.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Kaios » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Combat needs more depth but not to the point where the card system becomes needlessly complicated, I like that combat is much simpler compared to the legacy version and while I agree something needs to change I think it's important to maintain the simplistic nature that a 5 card deck system allows for and instead add other variations to combat in the form of drink/food related buffs, bards or other defensive/support related tactics.

That's not to say I don't think some cards could be changed or added because they could and should but I do think regardless a 5 card deck should always be an available option.
Kaios

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:15 pm

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=48524

They still need to address knarr security...
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby Sollar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:43 pm

OK ... My current status is a hermit hunter. The best thing that happened to me was the bonfire. I got 2 serious sessions of fisting (feasting lol) and upped my stats with a whooping 20points in my desired stats. I am now higher in stats as I've ever been in this game. I liked the feeling of accomplishment. I usually hunt for 3 days then fry all the meat and cook them sausages and feast. I am afraid that with the new changes the hermit life is ten times harder. Wasn't the system made so that everyone could choose an occupation and live by eat (hunter, farmer, livestock hearder, etc.?). Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of a class diversity system so everyone could choose the aspect of the game he likes most and live by it? Should all the hermits now be jack of all trades just to advance? I really lack the time to play enough to harvest crops, feed animals, hunt, cook, craft, etc. I know you hope that your move should diversify trade, but I think it will backfire badly. What can I, as a hunter hermit use as trading tools? Everyone is full of bones, meat, hides and leather. With a possibility to advance faster in stats without too much grind I'd be up to raise a new character if my current one dies. With the latest changes I'm afraid that my character death = GAME OVER.
Sollar

Postby sabinati » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:23 pm

if all you do is hunt then you were not progressing anyway
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements