Game Development: This Little Light O' Mine

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: This Little Light O' Mine

Postby Ysh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:31 pm

ven wrote:
fuinharlz wrote:What most ppl are saying here is: let us use freshly made alt characters to siege and raid anyone we want without risking our main characters, but getting tons of things to use on our main characters.
Let us use alt characters to spy, siege and raid without risking to leave scents on our mains, but don't let anyone use alts to save their things.

Alts are the cause of so many problems in this game. I wish the playerbase was large enough so that the devs could afford making us pay for each character we use.

Playing this game in the current states without alts is a hell.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Kaios » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Ysh wrote:Playing this game in the current states without alts is a hell.

As a hermit I suppose that is true but the only alt I personally have is an alt for mining and that's only because of trolls. I hate playing with alts and as long as you have at least one or two other guys to help you out it certainly isn't a "hell" to play with only one character.
Kaios

Postby Ysh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Kaios wrote:

As a hermit I suppose that is true but the only alt I personally have is an alt for mining and that's only because of trolls. I hate playing with alts and as long as you have at least one or two other guys to help you out it certainly isn't a "hell" to play with only one character.

We will have different playing styles, I think. If it comes to it, I would rather pay to keep this game free than pay to play this game.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby jordancoles » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:24 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
rye130 wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:i think a nice solution to these problems is while village is being sieged logged in chars can not log out

Little harsh cause that would kill any crafters that are logged on when the siege starts. Perhaps being able to steal from hearthfires and characters without hearthfires being unable to log out.

why should ur crafters be fine just cuz youve simply logged out if sieges are going to be so hard to pull off there should be a big reward to it

Lol
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Uriel246 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:28 pm

Who or what is a grubpie?

Uriel246

Postby Kaios » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:37 pm

thesourceofsadness wrote:And so there is a choice to make: to babysit a huge population of casuals or to make a world for small bunch of hardcore bastards. And there's no way to get both goals at once.

I disagree with your analysis and your conclusion, there is a way to achieve both goals and some ideas proposed have even sounded promising (example: Kingdoms). The Political Scene thread is a perfect example of exactly how much politics are really going on right now, literally none. Sieges, bug raids, murders, thefts, these are acts performed out of boredom rather than necessity.

There is no purpose behind killing random spruce cap #34 while you're out and about, this isn't even something that is fun. PvP oriented players use the excuse that this is the end-game content, killing and killing, but I've been in combat and I have killed and been killed and honestly there's nothing fun about a 10 second chase where you one hit some random new player. The exhilarating moments happen when you are fighting a group of real opponents or being chased yourself.

Further, where do most of those so-called PvP players go after they get wrecked? Oh right they join a bigger village cuz they can't hack it on their own or they quit entirely. Big deal if they made one player or ten players quit, as long as they had their fun.
Kaios

Postby Enjoyment » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:22 pm

Kaios wrote:
thesourceofsadness wrote:And so there is a choice to make: to babysit a huge population of casuals or to make a world for small bunch of hardcore bastards. And there's no way to get both goals at once.

I disagree with your analysis and your conclusion, there is a way to achieve both goals and some ideas proposed have even sounded promising (example: Kingdoms). The Political Scene thread is a perfect example of exactly how much politics are really going on right now, literally none. Sieges, bug raids, murders, thefts, these are acts performed out of boredom rather than necessity.

There is no purpose behind killing random spruce cap #34 while you're out and about, this isn't even something that is fun. PvP oriented players use the excuse that this is the end-game content, killing and killing, but I've been in combat and I have killed and been killed and honestly there's nothing fun about a 10 second chase where you one hit some random new player. The exhilarating moments happen when you are fighting a group of real opponents or being chased yourself.

Further, where do most of those so-called PvP players go after they get wrecked? Oh right they join a bigger village cuz they can't hack it on their own or they quit entirely. Big deal if they made one player or ten players quit, as long as they had their fun.

Whymost of the so-called "top-players" are bored? I play near 8 hours a day every day, and still can't mine l3, have q30 trees and q50 fibers, and tamed my first sheep a couple of days before, and got my first boar bow one-shot like a week ago.... Im not hurriing though, I've spend a lot of time on building separate walled claims in my own "village" (it has no vclaim - just a bunch of pclaimed facilities). But...
Those "bored PvPers"... I saw them first in near a week after new world start. What they have done by that first week? Seeking for nice place to settle? Prospecting the area for deep metals to build minehole in future? Hunting on cows to get some meet for energy restoring, needed 'cause of huge energy drain via terraforming?..
Nope, they spamed alts, searched for any possible exploits and bugs, pclaimed all the salt and icepickles nodes they can reach, and get "stat-caped less then in a week" chars, just to go to the forum and cry: "Jorb, we are bored! Let us scorch the whole world".
Maybe they are just bored from the entire game? Maybe they should just rest a bit? And maybe, just maybe, those poor bored people, shouldn't be the target audience of the game?
Just a thought, nothing more, but nothing less...
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby Mafious » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:28 pm

i probably qualify as part of this carrot lobby but, to the guy thats complaining about being capable of make similar quality stuff in the time it takes to siege someone... isn't that the point ? if you can make it you make it, if you can't you steal it. you are just mounting a siege because of fun your survival doesn't hinge on destroying that village/settlement/hermitage if you are doing it for fun the deal with the fact that the guys on the other side of the wall may very well depend on all this things you want to steal to survive and will (and should be able to) warehouse items.

tl/dr: sieges in this game are just for fun or to fuck people up, pillage isn't viable because is easier to grind for quality than the time it takes to mount a siege. i don't think its wrong, sieges were just as difficult for the attacker as it was for the defenders.

in the end it depends on what olympus wants out of this thing here a place where you can siege random palisades because it easy or a place when you siege because you have goddamn good reason to invest all that time and manpower.
https://strawpoll.com/xh2d3zr2 if you give a fuck about mining vote on this. Make mining great again! Bring back old supports.
Mafious

Postby ven » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:55 pm

Ysh wrote:
ven wrote:
fuinharlz wrote:What most ppl are saying here is: let us use freshly made alt characters to siege and raid anyone we want without risking our main characters, but getting tons of things to use on our main characters.
Let us use alt characters to spy, siege and raid without risking to leave scents on our mains, but don't let anyone use alts to save their things.

Alts are the cause of so many problems in this game. I wish the playerbase was large enough so that the devs could afford making us pay for each character we use.

That's because you're used to it. People were also used to v idol porting and saw it as a necessity but in the end everyone stopped complaining about not being able to do that anymore.

Alts are fine in some cases, but the game has been developing around then, and very often to counter problems they cause. Combat is meaningless when everyone fights with alts. Socialization and trade suffers too because everyone in a village has a bunch of specialized alts. Spies are everywhere because it costs nothing and there's no risk in making a fake character. Crime becomes trivial and ruins other things - resources, for example, were supposed to be areas of constant conflict, but now it's just about whose alt can steal and vault crap first. So yeah, it's my impression that we lose so much of the game with alts. All our actions become meaningless with them.
Venator
ven

Postby Ysh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:05 pm

ven wrote:
Ysh wrote:
ven wrote:Alts are the cause of so many problems in this game. I wish the playerbase was large enough so that the devs could afford making us pay for each character we use.

That's because you're used to it. People were also used to v idol porting and saw it as a necessity but in the end everyone stopped complaining about not being able to do that anymore.

Alts are fine in some cases, but the game has been developing around then, and very often to counter problems they cause. Combat is meaningless when everyone fights with alts. Socialization and trade suffers too because everyone in a village has a bunch of specialized alts. Spies are everywhere because it costs nothing and there's no risk in making a fake character. Crime becomes trivial and ruins other things - resources, for example, were supposed to be areas of constant conflict, but now it's just about whose alt can steal and vault crap first. So yeah, it's my impression that we lose so much of the game with alts. All our actions become meaningless with them.

I was set to play this game for the last world. It was not able to be played with alts. I did not play that world. Argument perhaps that maybe if the game will be overhauled to make alt not needed, yes. But then you can notice:

Ysh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements