Game Development: Inbetween

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inbetween

Postby Potjeh » Wed May 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Mouse and keyboard controls for FPSes are almost 30 years old, it'd be stupid to use them in a new FPS game :roll:
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby InGodWeTrust » Wed May 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Bad thing in this system is when you are recycling item with several slots, you finally get item with only one.
InGodWeTrust

Postby tyrtix » Wed May 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Potjeh wrote:Mouse and keyboard controls for FPSes are almost 30 years old, it'd be stupid to use them in a new FPS game :roll:

Heh, want to play this game with me? You speak about hardware, and our computers still uses processors, ram and transistors to work with. But i was speaking about game rules and mechanics, that indeed evolved much from the first platforms, rts or fps, even in their categories. Vast majority of the games now relies on crafting items rather than improving them, those who use the latter still relies on crafting the improving pieces, this mechanic reduces the RNG AND make the game more compliant to the players, by reducing the skinner box effect.
tyrtix

Postby Potjeh » Wed May 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Is there an actual point you're trying to make here?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby tyrtix » Wed May 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Yes, that i speak of things you evidently don't know.
tyrtix

Postby Potjeh » Wed May 11, 2016 3:25 pm

It looks like you don't know either, because you're being totally incoherent. I say that slot RNG should be axed, and then you go on about how it's a terrible idea because RNG should be reduced :?:
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby tyrtix » Wed May 11, 2016 3:33 pm

That because you, on your admission, lost the point: that making fixed slots is an old and abandoned mechanic, that worked while having RNG displaced to the possibility of finding items to slot with, while now we can craft items and have RNG in just a little thing like slotting MORE items, and i also explained why the mechanic used here is better.
tyrtix

Postby Hasta » Wed May 11, 2016 3:40 pm

tyrtix wrote:That because you, on your admission, lost the point: that making fixed slots is an old and abandoned mechanic, that worked while having RNG displaced to the possibility of finding items to slot with, while now we can craft items and have RNG in just a little thing like slotting MORE items, and i also explained why the mechanic used here is better.

That little thing you describe here makes players gring a lot more resources, which I can't say is a step in the right direction. Other than that, yes, the benefits of diversified this way with RNG game inventory are obvious.
Hasta

Postby tyrtix » Wed May 11, 2016 3:51 pm

Hasta wrote:
tyrtix wrote:That because you, on your admission, lost the point: that making fixed slots is an old and abandoned mechanic, that worked while having RNG displaced to the possibility of finding items to slot with, while now we can craft items and have RNG in just a little thing like slotting MORE items, and i also explained why the mechanic used here is better.

That little thing you describe here makes players gring a lot more resources, which I can't say is a step in the right direction. Other than that, yes, the benefits of diversified this way with RNG game inventory are obvious.

I agree with you on that, anyway every type of slotting mechanic requires grinding, and in a crafting game a degree of grinding is the core of the rules. From now on, it's more a matter of how much the player wants to grind (i can be happy with my basic leather patch set, or i may want to slot also taproot and glass beads in each item, getting always more ql as i grind on), and also refining the system to decrease the quantity of grinding (like with recycling items) or the OP effects.
So now we speak more about tuning the rules, than finding the right rule...
tyrtix

Postby jorb » Wed May 11, 2016 4:04 pm

Amanda44 wrote:So, rather than just remove gilding which the majority of players hate, just make more of it and make it complicated ... lol, how to make awesome games and then slowly ruin them with each passing month.

I'm trying to advance the game, and make it better.

I want an equipment system that does not force players into wearing too much of a particular look in order to accomplish certain goals.

I, for example, didn't like how everyone in Legacy -- and here as well -- above scrub-tier, always wore more or less the exact same outfit.

Even though it has flaws -- RNG admittedly being one of them -- this system accomplishes that, and also introduces some distinction and depth to the various pieces of gear. It allows for the creation of rare pieces of equipment which are not unconditionally available to anyone.

Under the old system, there was no point in adding more shirts, pants, &c to the game, because no one worth his salt would ever wear them, as they could not compete with anything that gave a stat bonus, i.e. ranger's pants. This is no longer the case.

If you want to take a completely reactionary view, and argue that we should never try anything new, anything controversial, anything that we don't get 100% right straight away, or generally anything that doesn't get the immediate blessings of the vox populi, well, that's cute and all, but it is also a sure-fire way to never-ever in a million years accomplish anything new with the game, and that is not a type of "development" I'm interested in, and nor is the game in a meaningful enough state to merit the sort of feature freeze you are, whether you realize it or not, asking for.

If you sincerely labour under some delusion that there was some magical time in the past when Haven was great in some spectacular way, and that we since have been ruining it, well, I can't help you except by pointing out how unconditionally wrong you are.

We have recently(ish) added mammoths, knarrs, trolls, and domesticated horses. There is simply no point in the past where the game, on the whole, has been better than it is now.

I suggest you adopt a more constructive attitude. I want diversity in equipment, looks, and gear. You give me better ideas on how to accomplish that if you don't like the ones I have, but these sour-grapes you can frankly leave at home, because I'm not buying.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements