Game Development: Approaches to Combat

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Approaches to Combat

Postby jorb » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:23 pm

Kaios wrote:I can't help but feel you wasted a lot of time on a whole lot of nothing and I'm wondering who I should direct my blame towards but I honestly don't think a single person asked for a complete combat overhaul.

We found something that didn't work. That's, by the Edisonian paradigm, not necessarily wasted effort. That being said I too had certainly hoped for better response.

I don't know where you draw the line between "major change" and "complete overhaul". A lot of features are obviously consistent in both systems. My impetus for action here is that there are a couple of features of the presently running system that I do not like, namely a) Random selection of cards from a deck, b) Necessary maintenance of defenses in four dimensions.

Whether it is the objectively right priority for us to spend time on is, as always, a good question. Hindsight is always 20/20, and I don't think we should be too afraid to experiment.

@ Everyone: Very grateful for the feedback. We'll push something new to the test server before anything goes live.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:41 pm

jorb wrote: namely a) Random selection of cards from a deck, b) Necessary maintenance of defenses in four dimensions.

Two of my favorite aspects of the current system. XD
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Onep » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:42 pm

I'd like to see spears be more viable, also cutthroat blades available when?
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby Granger » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:01 pm

jorb wrote: We'll push something new to the test server before anything goes live.

That's the best new thing from the update: a test server instead of forum shitstorm!
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Astarisk » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:06 am

jorb wrote:...

If you do keep the offense and defense meters, it would be nice if they started at full for each spar, so we don't have to spend time at the start refilling them ourselves.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby ydex » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:38 am

Must agree with Granger, the test server system is very very good, and it sounds like you learned something so im looking forward to next idea! :D

Astarisk wrote:If you do keep the offense and defense meters, it would be nice if they started at full for each spar, so we don't have to spend time at the start refilling them ourselves.

No this is as in real combat and if the spars work differently that will be confusing once u get into a real fight, so I vote nope sorry dålig idé next.
bold
ydex

Postby Jacobian123 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Update today?
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Postby linkfanpc » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:18 pm

My bro crashes when i aggro him.
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby Thrawn00 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:05 am

While I haven't gotten to experience much of the melee combat other then getting my butt kicked by everything. I really hope there are some changes planned for ranged combat. The idea I feel should be a person draws and shoots at a target, if he hits then the mob aggros or runs. The problem I've found is there is no way to target a mob without first pressing the attack button which starts melee combat and draws aggro. The biggest issue with this is without targeting ranged shots seem to have about 20% accuracy. With targeting ie shooting from a boat or ridge, the accuracy is 80-100%. I would say allow players to target a mob without starting combat, but maybe low ranged damage so the surprise shot isn't always a 1 shot kill.

Also for hunting, it would be cool to have a wounded animal leave a blood trail. Something to help track it similar to a player tracking a criminal scent.
Thrawn00

Previous

Return to Announcements