Game Development: Approaches to Combat

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Approaches to Combat

Postby stickman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:13 am

I think this combat system is kind of the worst yet. its not intuitive... you can still 1 shot people... and fights last too long which means its you will need a group of people to take down a single target. and most importantly its not fun.

You tried to make the combat like legacy but your forgetting the combat in legacy kind of sucked as well.

I hope you reconsider and choose a completely new system... nothing like the current and nothing like legacy because they are both flawed systems and mixing them together doesn't help.

Some suggestions
-using take aim 3 times so that you can flex 5 times so that you can punch 1x and take off 30% of someone's defense is not fun. remove the offence bar and defense bars. it sucks. just use cooldowns.
-make each attack do something unique if it lands... slow movement of opponent, make opponent miss more, make your next attack 2x as powerfull etc.
-get rid of multi color attack types... each attack should be simplified to 1 color
-make defenses like maneuvers that you can leave on indefinitely... example: you pick shields up as your defense and it would give an effect to you like % reduction in damage taken and negative % to your damage modifier... sidestep might give a 30% change of avoiding attacks or something....jump could give 75% change to doge sweeping attacks..etc. so all defences would be like death or glory/bloodlust from legacy.
-armor should just reduce damage but not negate it.... every successful hit should deal damage... if you harass a noob and he shoots you with his trusty sling it should deal damage to you. get rid of all or nothing... just reduce the damage so you can take multiple hits.
stickman

Postby jordancoles » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:28 am

stickman wrote:make each attack do something unique if it lands... slow movement of opponent,.

Ganks made easy
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Thedrah » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:11 am

can we get more hp and faster combat?

i think that would make combat more fun than the all or nothing. and maybe have more come backs then, like a turn the tables sort
  ▲
▲ ▲
Thedrah

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:43 am

its fast as fuck as it is without the update i dont think its worth reworking this whole system the current system we have without defense/attack bars isnt bad if u just reworked some small things i think itd be completely fine. pls fix archery tho hhahahahaahahaha :(
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:04 am

I'm still trying to figure out what's so massively wrong with our current system that we need to completely overhaul it from the ground up.

Combat Discoveries don't suck, and they're fun to get.
The combat is intuitive, it makes sense, and it's easy to learn and hard to master. (Deck building)
Randomized Decks are awesome (Though they need a minimum number to prevent 5 card decks)

So... What was the actual problem?
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby sabinati » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:06 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:So... What was the actual problem?

damage and armor values
sabinati

Postby bmjclark » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:11 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what's so massively wrong with our current system that we need to completely overhaul it from the ground up.

Combat Discoveries don't suck, and they're fun to get.
The combat is intuitive, it makes sense, and it's easy to learn and hard to master. (Deck building)
Randomized Decks are awesome (Though they need a minimum number to prevent 5 card decks)

My sarcasm detection meter is going off.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:16 am

sabinati wrote:

damage and armor values

agreed damage should be buffed
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:08 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:Combat Discoveries don't suck, and they're fun to get.

Pffffffffffffffftahhahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaha
DDDsDD999

Postby Granger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:33 am

Pan_w_okularach wrote:
sabinati wrote:

damage and armor values

agreed damage should be buffed

or armor and health nerfed
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements