Game Development: Approaches to Combat

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Approaches to Combat

Postby donatas » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:11 pm

So wait there are 2 servers now? or the new server is now merged with old one?
Someone please confirm.
donatas

Postby Granger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:14 pm

donatas wrote:So wait there are 2 servers now? or the new server is now merged with old one?
Someone please confirm.

Second server is a test server running only a valhalla with the draft of a different combat system for us to evaluate.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby donatas » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Granger wrote:
donatas wrote:So wait there are 2 servers now? or the new server is now merged with old one?
Someone please confirm.

Second server is a test server running only a valhalla with the draft of a different combat system for us to evaluate.

so even if I clicked on the server provided I won't be able to access if my character hasn't died on the other server?
donatas

Postby Hasta » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:08 pm

donatas wrote:
Granger wrote:
Someone please confirm.

so even if I clicked on the server provided I won't be able to access if my character hasn't died on the other server?

1. You are able to access Valhalla on a Live server without your character dying. That is a thing for quite some time now.
2. On the test server you're given a generic character each time you log in, no connection to your characters whatsoever.
Hasta

Postby stenz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:32 pm

Maybe it's just me, I've tried so hard to force myself to think that the combat is fun, but I still cant find it fun. Zelda has a lot simpler combat system, but it is fun. Try different perspectives. I thought a new combat system update would bring us something fun, but it is not as expected. I believe you might want to maintain H&H combat identity by maintaining the combat system, but, again, battling like this would make us only to focus on the deck, not the battle itself.
stenz

Postby Kaios » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:38 pm

I enjoy reading the posts about how our current combat system isn't so bad because I agree and I am just as confused about what exactly was so bad about it that couldn't be improved upon to make the system we had better. As it stands now it does not really seem like too many players enjoy the test mechanics, pvpers and care bears alike.

I can't help but feel you wasted a lot of time on a whole lot of nothing and I'm wondering who I should direct my blame towards but I honestly don't think a single person asked for a complete combat overhaul.
Kaios

Postby Zeler » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:01 pm

Kaios wrote:I enjoy reading the posts about how our current combat system isn't so bad because I agree and I am just as confused about what exactly was so bad about it that couldn't be improved upon to make the system we had better. As it stands now it does not really seem like too many players enjoy the test mechanics, pvpers and care bears alike.

I can't help but feel you wasted a lot of time on a whole lot of nothing and I'm wondering who I should direct my blame towards but I honestly don't think a single person asked for a complete combat overhaul.

Where im in no pvp god, I think that in both system there is not enough room to outplay your opponents. With the current moveset, there is no enough depth to the current system, and most of the moves in the new system feels partially useless. As stated by people before, the defences should be changed to the constat maneuvers like in the legacy combat. I don't really know how to tackle on this issue.

Also, archery in the current state needs to go for sure.
Zeler

Postby dzielny_wojownik » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:02 pm

i like that attack and defence bar got brought back but
we need more moves , stances, attacks to give more room for strategies, tricks... etc...
There was a wise soviet conscript that was surrounded by the enemy on the battle of Stalingrad. A mortar shot teared his pants apart causing a big hole in his pants right on his right butt cheek. He felt a glorious cold ass breeze of wind on his butt cheek, like it would be sent by stalin himself, he said - hide your butts
dzielny_wojownik

Postby Kaios » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:33 pm

Zeler wrote:I think that in both system there is not enough room to outplay your opponents. With the current moveset, there is no enough depth to the current system, and most of the moves in the new system feels partially useless.

I do agree with you, the current system is severely lacking in variety but as someone just posted I believe this could begin to be resolved by adding more
dzielny_wojownik wrote:moves , stances, attacks to give more room for strategies, tricks... etc...

Zeler wrote:Also, archery in the current state needs to go for sure.

Yes, I think most everyone is in agreement there.

I am uncertain whether addition of defense and attack bars really add anything of value beyond just another thing you're forced to watch.
Kaios

Postby Ysh » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Kaios wrote:I can't help but feel you wasted a lot of time on a whole lot of nothing and I'm wondering who I should direct my blame towards but I honestly don't think a single person asked for a complete combat overhaul.

Maybe not single man has issue with every aspect of old system, but I think many men have had issue with single aspect of old system. And each aspect of old system has at least one complaint of man.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements