Game Development: Approaches to Combat pt. II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Approaches to Combat pt. II

Postby MadNomad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Atamzsiktrop wrote:
MadNomad wrote:
Atamzsiktrop wrote:I bet you that even in current system if a "weak shitter" (I don't really know what you mean by that though) - a noob - and anyone from a big faction, who has intentions to kill the shitter, would meet, both on horses, the noob would die anyway. Horse isn't a 100% guarantee of escape. Killing a bad horseman is piss easy, no need to make it even easier.

Well could make them still sit on their horses if both of em are riding horses, but if only one has and gets aggrod its a bit unfair for the person without horse who wants to fight him.

Horseman might not want to fight him though. It's attackers stupidity for not bringing a horse, shouldn't punish the horseman.
If one person dies in a 1v1 it's also unfair?

Well didn't think about this.
Returning to archery, values should be lowered, especially on horses because someone could get unfair kill by running away on horse and then coming back to quickly shot the person who wanted to initiate combat at the beggining, if archery values get nerfed (because of being unbalaced comparing to close combat) the aim speed and damage penalty should be even higher if aiming on horse.
MadNomad

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:18 pm

Pan_w_okularach wrote:IMO no one should have the option to increase their movement speed exclusively, that's too much of an advantage to have. If there have to be horses in this game, they should be equal and easily accessible to everyone. So trained battle horses don't make sense to me. Unless of course you're out of things to do in this game and you need just one more extra chore to make you happy. Horses are expendable material, it's convinient, why change that?

Agreed. Movement speed is such an absurdly powerful advantages that if one side can get more of it, the other side is just instantly fucked. Hell, just make it so wild horses can regenerate pony power so noobies can at least feel like they have a chance to survive being attacked (though they'd probably just get clipped a thousand times and die).

I also think horses in their current form are just way too fucking fast. By the time you see the enemy render they're in archery distance of you. Skews the whole idea of vision range.
DDDsDD999

Postby strpk0 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:54 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Movement speed is such an absurdly powerful advantages that if one side can get more of it, the other side is just instantly fucked.

IMO this is partly due to how the current combat system works, wherein all that matters is to be able to get just close enough to your opponent to be able to hit them, or if you're escaping be just slightly faster so that they will never land a punch on you. It would be nice if there were some combat moves that were capable of being something different than either:

A. An attack that requires you to be right next to your enemy to even be useful at all (I guess except for archery, but that's just an extreme example of how not to handle distance attacks due to being OP and all).
B. Some sort of maneuver that gives you combat stats (defence, attack, IP, etc.)

I think the combat could use a bit more depth than just hitting and defending over and over until someone screws up, there should be some form of more complex interactions when pvping (stuff like stuns, attacks that make you charge forward/ dashes, etc.) That can really turn combat around if the player is skilled enough to make use of them at the right times. Then I think the whole issue with being able to win a fight easily just because your character is able to move a few pixels per second faster, or being able to easily escape unscathed due to the same reason would be mitigated by a lot.
Then you could also do some combat moves that perhaps require horses to execute, making the horses something more than just a neat speed boost for your character. Likewise, moves that can be used to counter a mounted player if they're not careful or knowledgeable enough. The list goes on and on, and there are many ways to make pvp a bit more interesting and engaging rather than just making it unnecessarily complex.

tl;dr perhaps only thinking about combat as attacking and defending over and over isn't the right thing to do, or is too difficult to balance properly and be made into something interesting.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby MrGemini » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:30 am

Good luck. I hope the new combat system goes well, but i loved the one we have now.

We will see :roll:
Greetings, Gemini & Tinkababe

jorb wrote:Given your obvious merits I'm not convinced that that's a loss, but... you would be more helpful if you stated what it is you dislike about this, and why. I can't do much with "QQstopkillinggaembye".
MrGemini

Previous

Return to Announcements