Game Development: My Log has Something to Tell You

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: My Log has Something to Tell You

Postby Grog » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:28 am

shadyg0d wrote:How can you not trust the devs after 9 worlds? Hasn't the game always moved in the right direction regardless of minor setbacks/disagreements? People freak out the second they don't like something as if it's permanent and wont improve. Can anyone argue that Hafen hasn't made lightyears of progress?

I'm sure they want to see the game finished just as much as everyone else. Telling them their own priorities seems pretty silly.

As someone who started world 3: I agree entirely.
Favourite thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3388
Grog

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:39 am

I'm with you guys. I'm still here because despite the long droughts of no updates during Salem development, these are solid guys that progress forward. You can't create something new and interesting without failures along the way.

I believe it was Edison that said something that he might have failed 300 times creating the light bulb, but he only needed one success to change the world. (or something like that... I'm too lazy to search for a quote and copy-paste it.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby bojackson » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Concerning custom clients being an issue of advantage. I personally would like to see J&L just come up with a nice default client that has some stuff from custom clients (such as convenience things, timers, sorting, free camera, quality display (cus we dun like math guys)). And simply ban the usage of custom clients, or not allow it via server command (only default clients can join the server) (if that's possible coding wise). People will survive w/o all the uber fancy stuff, and that way everyone is on the same playing field.

I try to imagine other games I play having customizable clients and it seems silly, like rust or Ark or something. I think we've come to a good point of having pretty nice custom clients out there, i think its time to just make 1 default client that everyone can agree on and enjoy. Like remove night vision option and some of the stuff we really don't need, and isn't meant to be there in the first place. hell we could even make a post/list of things we all would want in the new default client, and things we don't want.
Ohhh that's how I make a sig, cool
bojackson

Postby shubla » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:50 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I'm with you guys. I'm still here because despite the long droughts of no updates during Salem development, these are solid guys that progress forward. You can't create something new and interesting without failures along the way.

I believe it was Edison that said something that he might have failed 300 times creating the light bulb, but he only needed one success to change the world. (or something like that... I'm too lazy to search for a quote and copy-paste it.)

Im pretty sure that same does not apply for games. If devs make 300 updates which all are total failures before one successfull no one is going to play their game.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 pm

shubla wrote:Im pretty sure that same does not apply for games. If devs make 300 updates which all are total failures before one successfull no one is going to play their game.

You're just not likely to see 300 failures unless you hang around the "dev playgrounds" such as Haven. Since you are here, you are therefore likely to see a lot of failures and only a few true successes. If all you do is hang around the major publishers, you're not likely to see many actual failures other than marketing failures or failures in the scope of the game vs patience of the publisher to put up with the time to develop said scope of game envisioned which really aren't failures in game design (those get canned by the publisher before they hit market anymore... most of the time.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Announcements