Game Development: Breath of Air

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Breath of Air

Postby CSPAN » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:24 pm

jorb wrote:* Expanded the map a fair bit in all directions.

awesome totally gonna play again

jorb wrote:* Removed level caps.

nvm..
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby Archiplex » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:38 pm

jorb wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:To be fair, it wasn't sone thing I was particularly contemplating either.

But slipping into the night would have been too classy, and thus you are still here.

I'm sure most people who've quit still harbor a spot in their heart for haven, i mean it is a pretty unique game.

Just likely very upset with the direction it's going, and not very willing to try and hang in while playing if it might get better- at least that was the mindset i used to justify playing it but, eh.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Rimahmusic » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:56 am

Have you guys thought about maybe having separate servers geared toward casual or hardcore players? Or even the idea of a simpler single player game along the same lines as H&H for those who want to avoid pvp altogether? I'd pay money for that. Quite a bit of it, actually. I'm really bad at the game, so animals are scary enough to me xD I still love it, though.
This is Nalu. He is adorable and I love him.
Rimahmusic

Postby Ysh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:04 am

Rimahmusic wrote:Have you guys thought about maybe having separate servers geared toward casual or hardcore players? Or even the idea of a simpler single player game along the same lines as H&H for those who want to avoid pvp altogether? I'd pay money for that. Quite a bit of it, actually. I'm really bad at the game, so animals are scary enough to me xD I still love it, though.

It has been considered. You can maybe see some reasons for not doing here.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby vatas » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:05 am

Having two servers, one with statcap and one without them would be nice idea in my book. Of course both would have same permadeath, open PvP full loot features as now.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Burinn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:07 am

The stat cap isn't that big of a deal, you guys are really blowing it out of proportion how large of an impact this is going to have on your lives.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby ekzarh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:08 am

LadyGoo wrote: It is true that many hardcore players were dissatisfied with the stat cap implementation. However, I do not think they mind it that much nowadays. The key problem with the stat cap is that it removes the incentive to farm, make food, keep domestic animals and etc.
There has to be a way to keep growing eternally, but let the new players to not feel bad about themselves as well. In my point of view, middle-class players that join a greater faction do not feel bad about themselves and can count on the titans (hardcore player's characters) and still participate PvP and be useful. The thing is, there is a little chance for them to join anyone easily due to lack of trust and betrayal in hafen.
Kingdoms could somehow help the situation and get more people involved into the world politics where everyone's effort counts in. People will start associating themselves with the whole alliance/group, rather than a sole village that has no chances to stand against the offenders.

Kingdoms is too big of a change for me to predict and impact. But feeling-wise I agree.
But the whiners will remain(they always do). 'I wanna play alone for 3h a day and be able to have a char like that crazy nolifers in 20-people village, bots and game knowledge from W1'. =) Nevermind

I still think the PvP is not happening not because of the current combat system, but the hardness of getting back your character. Hafen is much more hardcore in this terms than the legacy, and worse as well.

Maybe your approach is suboptimal for such system?
You can use a bunch of 200-300 stat characters which are easier to recover for most of PVP cases. Losing copule of them to kill someones top character is reasonable.

Jorb's comment on their intention to have bigger civilizations and open cities:
[*] As some of you may know we are currently toying with several ideas with an aim toward improving the social dynamics of the game, making larger civilizations and, ideally, open cities, possible.
Ideas about the Kingdoms (noobs being useful and etc.) by J&Lo: http://pastebin.com/raw/FT6dHP2Q

I have read that at that time. A bit worried about that. I want to have Haven population about 4-5k. And I want to be able to do raids with 2 people with less than 50% chance to anger some major faction =) These wishes are pretty much mutually exclusive.
With Kingdoms, we mays see the case when you either join 1 or 2 major kingdoms and obey their rules or get rekt.
ekzarh

Postby Burinn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:16 am

ekzarh wrote:I have read that at that time. A bit worried about that. I want to have Haven population about 4-5k. And I want to be able to do raids with 2 people with less than 50% chance to anger some major faction =) These wishes are pretty much mutually exclusive.
With Kingdoms, we mays see the case when you either join 1 or 2 major kingdoms and obey their rules or get rekt.

Alternatively we may not see that case. How that pans out is contingent on specifics of the mechanics that are to be added. Praxxing it out isn't going to give you any kind of substantive result.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby ekzarh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:25 am

Burinn wrote:
ekzarh wrote:I have read that at that time. A bit worried about that. I want to have Haven population about 4-5k. And I want to be able to do raids with 2 people with less than 50% chance to anger some major faction =) These wishes are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Alternatively we may not see that case. How that pans out is contingent on specifics of the mechanics that are to be added. Praxxing it out isn't going to give you any kind of substantive result.

True.
The aim of that post was not to oppose the idea of kingdoms (it is good and it may give Haven a lot of value), but to make developers think of such probability and reflect their will to avoid that in the game mechanics
ekzarh

Postby CTheRain » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:02 pm

Ysh wrote:
Rimahmusic wrote:Have you guys thought about maybe having separate servers geared toward casual or hardcore players? Or even the idea of a simpler single player game along the same lines as H&H for those who want to avoid pvp altogether? I'd pay money for that. Quite a bit of it, actually. I'm really bad at the game, so animals are scary enough to me xD I still love it, though.

It has been considered. You can maybe see some reasons for not doing here.

Or just no perma-death. I'm not complaining about perma-death though. I've only died once to a fucking ram in the last world. But with no perma-death people would most likely socialize and trade more often. Without the fear of dying. Although then you have the bots amassing and destroying all... :(

Also PVE. Why is there no dragons (zmey) in H&H? Hell a Cikavac you could kill to make some kind of mask that lets you communicate to bears... Dwarf camps, Elf camps... Static places in the world like a goblin stronghold that sends out goblin scouts and trolls to invade hearthlings.. idk... I think hunting animals and killing each other or stagnating and forever raising stats inside closed walls gets kinda boring after awhile. Need some spice and everything's nice.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements