Game Development: Breath of Air

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Breath of Air

Postby loftar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:With no cap, there's no way I'll be able to play Haven again.

Caps added: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:01 pm
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Muzk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:44 pm

I assume next new world will be when kingdoms are out, any ETA? Got a bunch of players that don't want to join mid-session
Muzk

Postby Kaios » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:56 pm

jorb wrote:I can tell you this much: There will not be a new world before there is a new combat system.
Kaios

Postby Ysh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:03 pm

Kaios wrote:
jorb wrote:I can tell you this much: There will not be a new world before there is a new combat system.

Where the source is?
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Hampa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:50 pm

loftar wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:With no cap, there's no way I'll be able to play Haven again.

Yeah, this discussion has gone way out of hand. Haven’t seen this many emotional posts since the payment model was introduced in W8...

As a casual hermit I still think the idea of no caps is better for the game long term. Too much of the game stagnates after reaching, or getting close to the cap. This world, for the first time ever, I found myself losing purpose and getting too bored to farm for Q as soon as I had the cap in reach. In my opinion the trade of risking being steamrolled by a fed faction titan, is well worth having the boundless possibility to evolve and grow my toon ad infinitum.

And as previously put, I can’t really see how many people are reacting as if the cap was something they’ve had forever? Personally the concept that draw me in to H&H many years ago was the whole laissez-faire attitude to everything. Even though I don’t play competitively this was the first game where I was not limited by artificial boundaries and caps in what way I wanted to develop my character. I have never been a fan of using alts, so this sort of gameplay suits me very well.

With this said I would never tell anyone else how to enjoy their game time or expressing their opinions since am sure we all have one thing in common: The will to make this game live up to its immense potential.
Hampa

Postby dafels » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Hampa wrote:
loftar wrote:

this was the first game where I was not limited by artificial boundaries and caps in what way I wanted to develop my character. I have never been a fan of using alts, so this sort of gameplay suits me very well.

Agreed, putting a cap on stats was the worst way to handle it. Many from my village started being active again after the stat cap removal and I started to be active too. The beauty in this game is the freedom of the world with no limitations or boundaries where you are free to do anything you want without anything limiting you and the devs should stick to this when they implement new features instead of planning new features which purpose is to limit something, for example - the visitors debuff. Once I reached stat cap, there was no point to craft curiosities, food or grind qualities or do any trade and basically made me quit and there were loads of people like me.
dafels

Postby Granger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:28 am

Now 'people like you' just need a deterrent from slaughtering every humanoid that moves and limit that fun to within your group (so idle bystanders that want too stay idle can do that without having to create a new character because of the sudden demise of the old one that was ended for lulz or other bullshit reasons) and we're all good.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby shadyg0d » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:39 am

Hey can we at least get some type of ETA for the next world? Are there any plans whatsoever?
shadyg0d

Postby shadyg0d » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:40 am

Granger wrote:Now 'people like you' just need a deterrent from slaughtering every humanoid that moves and limit that fun to within your group (so idle bystanders that want too stay idle can do that without having to create a new character because of the sudden demise of the old one that was ended for lulz or other bullshit reasons) and we're all good.

Maybe nidbane strength should be based on the difference of strength between murderer and victim
shadyg0d

Postby shadyg0d » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:46 am

Hampa wrote:
loftar wrote:

Yeah, this discussion has gone way out of hand. Haven’t seen this many emotional posts since the payment model was introduced in W8...

As a casual hermit I still think the idea of no caps is better for the game long term. Too much of the game stagnates after reaching, or getting close to the cap. This world, for the first time ever, I found myself losing purpose and getting too bored to farm for Q as soon as I had the cap in reach. In my opinion the trade of risking being steamrolled by a fed faction titan, is well worth having the boundless possibility to evolve and grow my toon ad infinitum.

And as previously put, I can’t really see how many people are reacting as if the cap was something they’ve had forever? Personally the concept that draw me in to H&H many years ago was the whole laissez-faire attitude to everything. Even though I don’t play competitively this was the first game where I was not limited by artificial boundaries and caps in what way I wanted to develop my character. I have never been a fan of using alts, so this sort of gameplay suits me very well.

With this said I would never tell anyone else how to enjoy their game time or expressing their opinions since am sure we all have one thing in common: The will to make this game live up to its immense potential.

I don't think we need to artifically impose a cap. However I think raising stats shoud have exponential LP, moreso than right now. I think it at high levels it should become so difficult to raise stats that you'll really have to consider if it's worth it. This way it is still possible to become stronger, but there is still something concrete to call "end game". Never reaching "end game" will create boredom, while reaching "end game" will open up new opportunities and people will keep playing. I think "end game" should be a real thing to aim for.

And some more hearth magic for end-game players to spend their EP on.
shadyg0d

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements