Game Development: Breath of Air

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Breath of Air

Postby Potjeh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:13 am

Pushing numbers to infinity isn't a real endgame.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:16 am

I don't want the game to have an end.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Potjeh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:21 am

And yet it does - it's when people borequit. How long do you expect people to stick around doing the exact same "PvE" (farming)? Even if you bot you'll eventually get tired of turning on the bot every day.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Enjoyment » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:06 am

jorb wrote:I don't want the game to have an end.

Potjeh wrote:And yet it does - it's when people borequit. How long do you expect people to stick around doing the exact same "PvE" (farming)? Even if you bot you'll eventually get tired of turning on the bot every day.

But even PvE has end-game now.
There too much posts about stat cap has gone. But stat cap is only affinated with PvP, and most PvPers were gone on second/third month of this world. So stat cap remove will barely bring them back and breathe a new life into PvP.
Meanwhile, PvEers are still caped by 60-70 quality limit of natural resources (water/clay/soil/sand) and this cap is still here - that's why most of the PvEers are focused on farming (because it is the only work not affected by base materials and carrots were the only one crop close in q to "clean cap" (meaning it was on a half-way to gilded cap).
So if you removing PvP cap, you should remove PvE cap as well. And Im not talking about "new" lands with potential of finding q70-80 (and maybe even 83!) base materials (you didn't just up the cap - you removed it completely). Im talking about the way to raise the quality of base materials theoretically endlessly. Enriching the soil with compost, Hardening clay with glue, Filtering water and Prospecting the sand. Sure, this must be hard work with little-to-no output for most of the hermits, but it should exist in the game, because PvEers are bored too. Bored long time ago. The just quit more quietly or staying in the game, raising their carrots quality.
We heard enough thoughts from devs about stat-cap, new combat and PvP. More than enough IMHO.
But what about q-cap, new foraging and PvE? Do devs think it's all cool now and don't need their attention?

P.S. And please, nerf the charisma requirement for CS-travelling - it seems too logical with map expansion to not do it.
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby Ozzy123 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:19 am

endgame =/= end of the game, its just the final stage for the most developed players which mostly contains PVP - if you don't want the game to have an end give us pvp not ant farms on walls plsss
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Granger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:22 am

shadyg0d wrote:
Granger wrote:Now 'people like you' just need a deterrent from slaughtering every humanoid that moves and limit that fun to within your group (so idle bystanders that want too stay idle can do that without having to create a new character because of the sudden demise of the old one that was ended for lulz or other bullshit reasons) and we're all good.

Maybe nidbane strength should be based on the difference of strength between murderer and victim

Sounds like an interesting thing to think about, yes.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby CTheRain » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Granger wrote:
shadyg0d wrote:
Granger wrote:Now 'people like you' just need a deterrent from slaughtering every humanoid that moves and limit that fun to within your group (so idle bystanders that want too stay idle can do that without having to create a new character because of the sudden demise of the old one that was ended for lulz or other bullshit reasons) and we're all good.

Maybe nidbane strength should be based on the difference of strength between murderer and victim

Sounds like an interesting thing to think about, yes.

But I still have a chance to lose my character when dealing with people. Also couldn't someone potentially knock you out and finish you off with an alt?
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby maze » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:21 pm

PvP is always the hardest area of this game to balance mainly cuz of all the factors you put into it.
Player stats, player gear, and card deck.
But also the last factor Zerg.

Player stats, player gear: these two factors are already easy to see. the more time and hardcore the village is. the better you player stats and gear will be. making this a large factor to set you apart from the majority of the hearthlands.

card deck: this was the interesting factor and I tryed to help J&L in the right detection~ these still have potential.

Zerg: in all my years of gaming- we've only come up with one solution to stop zergs. make players want to party for a goal. results~ many players refused to party and still would try to solo then cry. IE zergs are one of the hardest to balance and normally is the best to ignore. kingdoms might help- but the best way is give people stuff to do that need groups of players.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All in all~ and im going to say it again~ I think if Haven took a step back and remade pvp and went with something like AlbionOnline. that would make an interesting game.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Myrgard » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Ozzy, not everyone shares your world view - I don't like to pvp as the main goal, yes it's a factor that makes the game interesting, but it's not everything.

For me it's about amassing wealth, slowly rising from a hermit that owns nothing to someone who can buy more or less everything. The idea about kingdoms is interesting in that sense - you can have knights like you to fight/pillage/raid etc. and you can have merchants who pay the knights to fight, and die :twisted: for them.
Myrgard

Postby ven » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Real life doesnt have an end because its always changing. In the game all change must be made by players, as the world itself is static. As you see, thats not enough to fuel a world forever. We need continuous challenges to remain attached to the game.
Venator
ven

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements