Game Development: Thy Kingdom Come

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Thy Kingdom Come

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:22 pm

^^ That all sounds good Avu, I did think about kingdoms requesting players to join but then decided it doesn't really work that way, kingdoms do just take over as such unless opposed but having two tiers of subjects does cover that somewhat and I most definitely think that crimes committed against citizens that go unpunished should incur an authority penalty, atm all kingdoms do is give something more for the factions to play with, which I know is important as they are large groups of players but in order for this to actually have some meaning to everyone there just has to be more choice and involvement for everyone.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Potjeh » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Royal claim maintenance cost should prevent them from covering the entire map.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Kaios » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Potjeh wrote:Royal claim maintenance cost should prevent them from covering the entire map.

The thing is you only start with 5k authority when you create it, if you didn't already make one fast enough to claim hermits/villages around the middle of the map and global resources no longer feed in to the realm then you are really limiting this feature to major factions only.
Kaios

Postby Potjeh » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Well then you could try providing better amenities to attract settlers. Though that would require public charterstone spawning.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Kaios » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Potjeh that's not very realistic when the game is bleeding players, I'd have no problem claiming out at the edge if people actually lived there. You do know this uses experience events right, those things that come rarely and you might not even be on the claim for it? And global resources no longer count towards that.
Last edited by Kaios on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaios

Postby zebratul » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Kaios wrote:...then you are really limiting this feature to major factions only.

I dont feel like it's a bad thing.
It's silly to think that a single hermit can proclaim himself a king.
It's only proper to consider only the big factions kingdoms.
zebratul

Postby Kaios » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:33 pm

zebratul wrote:I dont feel like it's a bad thing.

But you don't need to be part of a major faction to get the materials for it. Any hermit could do it and any hermit could have subjects living under their domain but that's not the way it works. The way it works is if you aren't a major faction constantly playing on your own territory to feed exp then you won't be able to upkeep auth.
Kaios

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:48 pm

zebratul wrote:
Kaios wrote:...then you are really limiting this feature to major factions only.

I dont feel like it's a bad thing.

I disagree in a way, if a hermit has the mats and wants to declare him/herself as a king, ofc they should be allowed ... whether or not they can keep the kingdom against a faction is a different matter ofc, but there are no reasons why you can't try if you want to. The land is free land, you claim it and you have every right to establish a kingdom on it and proclaim yourself king if you so desire and were able to keep up the authority. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby ven » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:59 pm

Potjeh wrote:Well then you could try providing better amenities to attract settlers. Though that would require public charterstone spawning.

Loftar said they considered implementing something like custom realm-wide bonuses/penalties. In theory I think this would encourage migration for example to ladygoos or emeralds kingdom depending on what buffs you want on your char.

This could also fix the issue amanda mentioned, that is, how to make kingdoms interesting also for the casual player instead of just factions.
Venator
ven

Postby DeadlyPencil » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:55 pm

thomas_ewing wrote:You know what needs to exist? A way to establish a rival kingdom even if your village has been claimed over. It shouldn't be easy to do, and there obviously needs to be a way to keep from building kingdoms to avoid challenging a border cairn. This seems like a mechanic that should exist. Anyway, those are my two cents. Take them for what they are worth.

Jorb,

Please implement something along these lines.

envision the beginning of the new world. and the major factions claim up the majority of the centre of the map. How is a village near the centre of the map suppose to create a rival kingdom? at the moment it is impossible, they cant create a kingdom where they live as they have no way of removing border cairns. they would have to go to the edge of the map, where they do not live, create a kingdom and then cairn their way back. or leave the area.

I don't think this mechanic was suppose to be used to force people from their villages. but that is basically what it does. at the moment our village is claimed over. We are currently feeding experience to our enemies kingdom. its not nice logging in to seeing your enemies name pop up saying you are on their land. if we killed one of their guys. the experience we are feeding them would simply be used for a state funeral.
DeadlyPencil

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements