Game Development: Market Garden

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Market Garden

Postby Henk_de_vries » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:55 pm

jorb wrote:
Salem & Hearth

Daily reminder that the Garden pots were actually first conceived of for Haven!

This sketch is from 2010.

Why no reply to removing clay now that bones are the future?

Everything made from normal clay now sucks dick compared to it lol
Henk_de_vries

Postby jorb » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:56 pm

Nothing to reply to? Bones may be the future, but there is a fair bit of work involved in getting to it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:01 am

lachlaan wrote:Think he means to say that bone clay, with the current formula for making it, might easily result in much higher qualities than anything people have found in ye olde acre clay spots or water clay (fml i can't for the life of me remember the actual name of it lol) , presumably higher than the quality field generator created for cave clay as well. Left to be seen tho what all ingredients contribute what amount of quality. Time to log my alt in my nearly raided base and check the recipe xD

Sure, but I would certainly like to see you getting bone-clay in the quantities required to build brick-walls.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby ydex » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:10 am

I do feel the potted plant is way more interesting then clay tho. bone clay was in earlier and not all clay things where bone clay lol.

does pots let me get more berries (plant one get 2/3) or is it only to raise the q of the planted object?

no more blueberry foraging?
bold
ydex

Postby sabinati » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:15 am

neat
sabinati

Postby Granger » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:15 am

Nice additions, bone clay might be OP should the bone part play a big role in resulting q, curious about the other mechanics (pots and stuff).

The botting punishment is a good start as a warning to the community, further transgressions (by whatever group) should be dealt with exponential harshness till the last one got it.

What I would like to see is the anti-getting-stuck-at-stuff and more QoL in the default client in the form of backports of good features from custom ones (quality display, build/craft lists, hotkeys for the hands, container transfer key modifiers, gui element resizing or skinning - just to name some) and general reduction of clickiness (like the ability to places an item into an occupied equipment slot).

My view is that constant small annoyances lead to premature burn out and could be mitigated through client improvements. Bounty program (tokens or soulbound decorative stuff for accepted pull requests) could be something to think about.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby lachlaan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:17 am

loftar wrote:
lachlaan wrote:Think he means to say that bone clay, with the current formula for making it, might easily result in much higher qualities than anything people have found in ye olde acre clay spots or water clay (fml i can't for the life of me remember the actual name of it lol) , presumably higher than the quality field generator created for cave clay as well. Left to be seen tho what all ingredients contribute what amount of quality. Time to log my alt in my nearly raided base and check the recipe xD

Sure, but I would certainly like to see you getting bone-clay in the quantities required to build brick-walls.

Wait, i've been missing for a while, clay / brick quality now counts towards wall toughness? if not, then yeah I guess it'll be more a matter of aesthetics. Otherwise, everyone will want bone clay for their kilns and stuff. That's the gist of it, and with the new combat changes perhaps the challenge of taking down a good bear or a troll will be more rewarding in terms of clay. Now you guys just need to make it all uncheese-able via bow hunting and it does indeed seem like nice balance. Gives hunting oriented people a chance to keep up with just pure foragers or map-botters (tho i can't figure out why anyone would pass on the fun of sampling resources for quality themselves).
lachlaan

Postby ven » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:18 am

Wow that's actually an awesome update. Say, can you also plant regular farm crops in garden pots?
Venator
ven

Postby Granger » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:21 am

ven wrote:Wow that's actually an awesome update. Say, can you also plant regular farm crops in garden pots?

While this would be interesting my guess is that it would lead to L5 farms.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby ven » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:24 am

So? If someone is dedicated enough to make the 800 vases or so they'd probably need for such farm and to replace water and soil for each one of them every harvest, they sure deserve it.
Venator
ven

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements