Game Development: A Taste of Wheel

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: A Taste of Wheel

Postby sabinati » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:07 am

i'm just trying to get you to clarify your statement, because the meaning of your words is unclear and you cite specific numbers without reference.
sabinati

Postby tyrtix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:22 am

No, you are trying to disprove arguments by making a point over a part of the whole, and assuming it works for the whole because you feel it's so (what i see here is like i say so there's no reason to believe it's different). The post i wrote about meat usage is 5 days old now ( viewtopic.php?f=48&t=51766 ), you could at least try to search for it when i pointed i already wrote about that.
tyrtix

Postby sabinati » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:04 am

i already read your other post, but you can't expect me to have read every thread in the forum before replying to one of the more popular ones. i don't see why you made the post in a separate thread instead of this one, but whatever. i've also checked and squirrel meat was inconsistent with my expectations, as you mentioned, it doesn't relate to the fep you get from roast squirrel, so thanks for pointing that out.

like i said, i didn't see any squirrel used in the thread previously, and i didn't make squirrel recipes because it would require me to go run down some squirrels, and squirrel is a shit meat and i wasn't going to be making cupboards full of squirrel meat recipes anyway.

i don't see how that makes my earlier statement incorrect, i said "they are basically all working as expected", which the qualifier "basically" means "in a majority of cases" (which is what i saw, using typical meats beef/pork/bear/moose/mammoth) and "consistent across the few type of "variety input" foods", which they still seemed to be from what i've seen, e.g. squirrel is cha or cha/per in both encumbered roast and steak and tuber, if i recall correctly, but i didn't write anything down. if you have further examples, where fep for a meat input is inconsistent between recipes, feel free to post them.

i still don't understand what you were referencing with regard to the 0.5 FEP.
sabinati

Postby tyrtix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:37 am

So, in the end: you did not tried the recipes, you say that you already read my other post and don't figure why i made another post to write these things, when the other post is from 5 days before and no-one still spoke about those things in this post. Also: the other post answer you very well and disproves the statement "it all works as intended" (wich is a strawman, as it's obvious that all works as the devs intended to, they made the code, i expect coding is not a random thing...).
Again you pick some things and assume the whole for little examples (the meat we use most works fine...but the others, not, and in fact, judging from those you cited, those that works bad are the majority).

Let's explain better with a breakdown. Meat pie was used as a str increase fep before update. Without the update, every kind of meat used results in the same recipe, so we could use, say, chicken, for making them, having a better use for that meat (the same goes down for badger, lynx, aurioch, mutton, hedgeog, even rabbit and squirrel maybe, and as we can see these are more than the other meat types cited). With the update: a meat pie made with chicken removes some str fep, while giving a really small dex fep. This time, the meat pie is less useful than it was before, as you don't want to raise dex with meat pie, because it still is a str raising food (majority of fep given by the pie is still str, dex fep is totally irrelevant and not even 10% of the total fep given).

As i said in my other post, also, chicken not always gives dex fep, but in some recipes it gives cha: i made a 60ql (iirc) encumbered roast with chicken at 10ql, getting a whoppy 0.5 dex fep from chicken, the other 15 points were the normal from the encumbered recipe.

From a gaming design pov, this happens generally because there's a deep difference between what the devs are trying to make, and what the players really get from the update: we, the players, have in fact less choices, and not more, because of the bad balance of the mechanics used, while with a good balance we will have more (like, making a meat pie with chicken that gives 10% str fep, 40% con, 50% dex, maybe).

Btw, squirrel roasted meat gives just int, not cha or per...consistency happens when using the same meat in all the recipes you get the same deviation, not when it works just in a recipe or two with different other ingredients: it is conterintuitive that a roasted meat that gives int, when used in another recipe gives per or cha (i don't want to speak about your perception of what is good for you or the other or the majority of the player base, seeing the game like that means that botting is legit and good because majority of end-game players do that...).

Ending the analysis: do you think that making a recipe tied to some kind of meat to be useful is better than leaving it works anyway with every kind of meat?
Do you think that the current system, speaking about meat usage, made some kind of less good meat, more useful, and how?
Do you think that recipes that were already in little use (like encumbered roast) are now better with 4 fep types, instead of just 3?
tyrtix

Postby stenz » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:37 am

jorb wrote:
stenz wrote:my blueberry pie used to be an exclusive intelligence food. Now it is just another RNG food.

Nothing random about it.

roast fox.JPG
roast fox.JPG (19.41 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
butcher's surpirse.JPG
butcher's surpirse.JPG (21.34 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
fox wurst.JPG
fox wurst.JPG (20.28 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

I've done a bit of experiment and some food really give FEP based on the combination of its ingredients. However, I tried to make these three meals using only fox meat; the result is surprisingly not as expected, especially the butcher surprise, well maybe cause it is called surprise. :D
stenz

Postby Redlaw » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:04 am

If one is happening today is should be soon.
Redlaw

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:25 am

stenz wrote:(attached screenies)

Thank you for posting screenshots of your experiments. I like to think the last page wouldn't exist if this simple thing was done to begin with.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Jacobian123 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:49 am

updaaaaaaaaaaaaaate tiiiiiiiiime
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Previous

Return to Announcements