Game Development: World 10

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 10

Postby Omnipotent » Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Omnipotent wrote:Are there any plans for a W11 reset any time soon?

The current world is fairly old now.

The longest so far has been wold 7... still running. (Though not many playing it. Nearly everyone plays the current worlds instead of the legacy server.)

There is a rough road map for the year. Loftar is currently working on a client rewrite and optimization to improve performance for those of us still playing on older hardware. I suspect the other project--"object controlled objects"--will require a world reset, so we may not see one before that is ready. There are a few player issues that many think should be addressed before a world reset, too.

Otherwise, we do try to keep world reset discussion, requests, and such in its own thread.

And welcome back!

Thanks for the quick and relevant links! :)

Yeah, there have definitely been several worlds that lasted longer than this one. But in my experience the game tends to get more and more stale later on. The same problem happens in games like Ark and Rust where new players are less likely to join when they know there are a lot of players with more time and resources on their hands. Granted this isn't Ark or Rust, and I'm not trying to tell Loftar & Jorb how to run their game... But as the past has shown, a map wipe can greatly increase popularity if people are properly notified.

I'm really glad to see all the work on performance improvements. The game has really come a long way and it's nice to see them tackling optimization among other things. I'm all for it and I know it's not worth rushing. "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto

For the time being I will enjoy W10 and try to wait patiently for the next big changes. :P

Cheers!
Omnipotent

Postby MagicManICT » Mon May 28, 2018 12:44 am

Omnipotent wrote:"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto

Truer words have never been spoken about the creative process, not just game development. I wish more developers and publishers would take this to heart. (Feature creep is real, though... just ask Peter Molyneaux.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Zao » Mon May 28, 2018 8:57 pm

You also have to think about it from a dev perspective. This is a chance for them to modify and test late game which will in turn make the next worlds late game even better.
Zao

Postby Oddity » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:05 am

I look forward to a time when the game is fun and populated after the first 2 weeks of a fresh world.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby blinx » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:29 am

Oddity wrote:I look forward to a time when the game is fun and populated after the first 2 weeks of a fresh world.

I look forward to a time when people play as much as they bitch.
blinx

Postby Barbamaus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Oddity wrote:I look forward to a time when the game is fun and populated after the first 2 weeks of a fresh world.

Was it ever considered that the map might be too wide for the average population?

I'm the first to enjoy hermit life and large open spaces, but with a population so low, a smaller map would feel more active. Of course this would require a much faster decay system, to constantly refresh the wilderness...
Barbamaus

Postby iamahh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Map was reduced already

Meeting strangers is overrated, there is road, market and teleport

Mines are cleared fast too, the bigger th community the faster it goes
iamahh

Postby Oddity » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:01 am

Barbamaus wrote:

Was it ever considered that the map might be too wide for the average population?

I'm the first to enjoy hermit life and large open spaces, but with a population so low, a smaller map would feel more active. Of course this would require a much faster decay system, to constantly refresh the wilderness...

Yeah, but it doesn't make much difference. The pace of the game (from moving across the screen to the sheer amount of time you have to wait for everything) is just too fucking slow, and there's nothing that random strangers can help each other with that makes much difference compared to doing it yourself.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby mvgulik » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 am

YouTube: Peter Molyneux A Pathological Liar? | Feature Creep

Business as usual.

My hyped to dead candidate: No Man's Sky.
mvgulik

Previous

Return to Announcements