Game Development: Swan Fishing

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Swan Fishing

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:02 pm

jorb wrote:Some fish are particularly prone to eat some lures.

That's awesome actually

Time to become a fisherman
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Ysh » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:02 pm

loftar wrote:quite simply

Now jorb has you doing it.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby NotJimmy97 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:52 pm

So does this mean that % chance to catch is separate from % chance to lose lure?
NotJimmy97

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:56 pm

NotJimmy97 wrote:

So does this mean that % chance to catch is separate from % chance to lose lure?

I think losing lure, line, or hook are possibilities when the catch fails. You have "catch a fish" (success), or "don't catch a fish" (fail). In the fail state you get a piece of trash, nothing, or something breaks, not necessarily in any order of probability.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby VDZ » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:50 pm

VDZ wrote:So how do rights settings work for the Notice Board? Do you need Trespassing permission to read the messages? Theft even, maybe? Do you need Theft to add messages? How about removing them?

I've gotten around to testing it myself.
With Trespass permission set:
- You can read messages.
- You can post messages.
- You CANNOT remove messages, and this includes your own.

In other words, it's the ideal set of permissions and works fine on a pclaim with trespass permissions to everyone with no risk of vandalism (at least not without them leaving scents). I have not tested with visitor buff, but I expect it to work the same way.
VDZ

Postby Kearn » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:22 pm

as with the guy previously, it is literally impossible to catch trout in at least some cases

i failed at least 15 49% chances in a row

e: i think the implication jorb made earlier was that some fish will often if not always eat certain lures, which makes it seem a bit disingenuous to give a nonzero % if that is indeed the case
e2: success chance appears to be irrelevant if a fish is predisposed to eating lures (brill and trout always eat woodfish, for example)
Kearn

Postby Redlaw » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:42 am

also remember past lure, hook ect... jorb said moon faze and location. So moving lotions or waiting to see how the moon phase affects things, might be an thing of note.
Redlaw

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:18 am

Well, if the game gives me an approximate 50% chance to do something, I expect to do it about that much over a series of tries. Yeah, there's a chance I'm going to fail 30 times in a row, but 2^30 is a pretty large number in terms of statistics. You're more likely to win a 500 million dollar lottery.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Gensokyo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Seemingly all mobs have random +- speed bonuses or negatives, and have a small chance to not flee at all?
One swan I could outrun easily, the other one kept pace up to me with exactly the same movement speed, first one didn't flee near death, second one started to fly away after getting hit for 13 hp.
Gensokyo

Postby Asgaroth22 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Gensokyo wrote:Seemingly all mobs have random +- speed bonuses or negatives, and have a small chance to not flee at all?
One swan I could outrun easily, the other one kept pace up to me with exactly the same movement speed, first one didn't flee near death, second one started to fly away after getting hit for 13 hp.

I didn't notice variable speed with any animals other than rabbits, haven't hunted swans yet.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements