Game Development: Bench Crab

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bench Crab

Postby Ukhata » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:48 am

jorb wrote:Requiring a skill to unlock an ability? Completely unprecedented!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ukhata

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:58 am

Granger wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:
MrPunchers wrote:So Nidbane alts when?

Pretty much. I can see certain groups spawning in a hundred (-s of) hearthlings, getting them enough LP for rage, and then stashing them aside for when they're needed.

Time for one character per account and no more freebies then. When I see the alt army marching then I can die with the knowledge that they at least financed the devs so these are able to feed their families and dev full-time to make haven greater than it already is...

Well, we all know AD, Dis, and Oddi (whatever they're playing under in any given world) will jump through whatever hoops are necessary to abuse whatever mechanic is in place. Haven: It's a game of one-upping the competition doing whatever it takes to win (like deflating footballs).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Glorthan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:07 am

oops - posted on brother's acc
Glorthan

Postby Itanu » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:14 am

I don't care so much about the nidbane thing- what I'm curious about is why the hell you removed animal inspecting. It makes sense thematically, is not a broken mechanic in ANY way, and is a really useful thing to be able to do. And you can't even inspect carcasses either?!

wtf
Itanu

Postby eliminator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 am

It should be a new skill then. Rage has nothing to do with cock magic.
eliminator

Postby LadyV » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:44 am

eliminator wrote:

It should be a new skill then. Rage has nothing to do with cock magic.

Really now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLhypaRifcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZCtCQ2BYdU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm-ECrDiaqM
LadyV

Postby Scilly_guy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:42 pm

jorb wrote:Did server work to add "instanceless methods". Down the road this will allow us to automatically generate tooltips for food, and perhaps building recipes, in the crafting menu,

I'm actually really happy about this.
jorb wrote:Added "Crab", beach kritter. Doesn't fight, but hurts to pick up. Several related resources and crafts.
Added "Black-Eyed", wound.
Added "Finebone Trinkets", gilding.
Added "Garden Bench", bench.

More gilding items are nice but does make it easier to get higher stats, easier ≠ better.

jorb wrote:Added a quest target to deliver certain goods to quest-givers. Mostly sticks and stones.

YAY for scavenger hunting returning!

jorb wrote:Fixed a bug with the Wild Windsown Weeds in that their distribution areas -- in which they yield the same couple of crops and seeds -- were far too large.

Really? I thought it was good that you had to search a long way and potentially trade to get all the seeds, so long as they were all on the map somewhere. IMO they SHOULD be large, along with the growth speed fields.
jorb wrote:You can no longer inspect wild animals.

Why? I want to look at animal and say "wow", that deer is big and healthy its going to give me good quality meat, but that one is scrawny, its not worth the effort. Personally I think animal quality shouldn't be tied to the map, it could be tied to hunting patterns if its possible to monitor that? But a heard of deer should have some animals more "healthy" than others.
jorb wrote:You can now catch trash while lure fishing. Sorry about that.

One mans trash is another mans treasure, don't be sorry, also, yay! Ducks and Swans.
jorb wrote:Leantos now enforce a minimum building distance of one tile, fixing this. This is why we can't have nice things.
Sensible.
jorb wrote:Nidbanes can no longer be summoned using character specific scents -- assault, battery, and murder -- committed against characters lacking the "Rage" skill. Killing an entirely fresh alt spawn will, thus, no longer imply having Nidbanes sent after you. Crimes against property -- Vandalism and Theft -- are unaffected by this. At least in part adressing this.
Makes perfect sense to me, rage represents the concept of inflicting harm on others, thats what Nidbanes are for. When someone hits you, destroys your stuff or kills you, you get angry and want to hurt them back but if your character doesn't understand that then why should you be able to exact this form of revenge. I realise the scents could be used by someone else to summon the Nidbane before, but it still makes sense.

jorb wrote:Buffed the udder sizes of animals to 25l.
Fixed a bug by which animals would continue to eat more, to produce milk, even with their udders full.

So a lot of people seemed to be complaining about how much animals eat, and if there was a bug then it should definetly be fixed. But another solution would be to implement a different system for feeding animals, something like pastures, that mean large herds require large amount of space and need to be moved around. This could lead to people building fences to mark out fields, different animals could require different types of pasture, you could have the option to use a stake (wooden or metal) with a rope to stake an animal much like the hitching post but it would be moveable. You could keep troughs but cause them to half the q of food, perhaps in winter we would need to feed animals from troughs as the pasture would be under snow and wouldn't grow.

jorb wrote: In the Pipe
Smallish patch, but steaming on!

Size doesn't matter its what you do with it.
Scilly_guy

Postby FictionRyu » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:42 am

I've got a big bag of crabs!

This is pretty neat!
Scooby Doo taught us that the real monsters are humans.
FictionRyu

Postby ProgrammerDan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:55 am

jorb wrote:Fixed a bug with the Wild Windsown Weeds in that their distribution areas -- in which they yield the same couple of crops and seeds -- were far too large.

Just to add my thanks -- this is a huge playability win. I had begun to despair at finding seeds -- I found a greater variety of seeds from fishing than I was finding from long distance foraging -- yet after this went live I've already found 3 more critical types of plants I've been hoping for since launchday.

Bravo.

Enjoying these changes greatly.
ProgrammerDan

Postby Onep » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:03 am

MagicManICT wrote:Well, we all know AD, Dis, and Oddi (whatever they're playing under in any given world) will jump through whatever hoops are necessary to abuse whatever mechanic is in place. Haven: It's a game of one-upping the competition doing whatever it takes to win (like deflating footballs).

You know, we here at Willytown are really trying to create a new image for ourselves. We're just a bunch of top lads playing vidya games with our pals. And we would never do anything remotely shady.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements