Game Development: Picking a Fight

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Picking a Fight

Postby Granger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:26 am

roboboy33 wrote:
Take Aim's cooldown now increases the more IP you already have when using it. The cost is now (30 + IP * 2) * μ.

You should add a maximum cooldown, if you have a sizeable amount of ip from using think and accidentally use take aim it can leave you with a very long cooldown.

As the idea seems to be to discourage blindly stacking IP: please no.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:26 am

jorb wrote:Fixed an inverted condition. Attack line of sight is now blocked by houses and walls, but not by player bodies and carrables. You're welcome.

I assume this also means trees and bushes won't block line of sight? If so, neat.

jorb wrote:Sting now gives 20% Blue Opening, and 10% Yellow opening, instead of 25% Blue opening.

Seems kinda unnecessary, the move was already pretty needed for pure MC to be useful, but ok, I guess it could be more useful in some scenarios.

jorb wrote:Watch Its Moves now reduces 30% blue Opening, instead of 15%, but also gives the opponent an IP.

Don't really like the give all your opponents IP for defensive moves, it causes various problems in the combat system. Also, with the artful buff here:
jorb wrote:Artful Evasion now has a cooldown of 40 instead of 50.

I really don't see watch its moves being used, ESPECIALLY if you can't use it at a range still.

jorb wrote:Regain Composure now reduces Green and Yellow openings by 20% instead of 15%, but has a cooldown of 35, instead of 30.

Didn't really need the cooldown nerf, the move was garbage and probably still is. I don't think there's any green/yellow combination people would use, and no, people aren't using raven's bite, despite this buff:
jorb wrote:Raven's Bite now has a cooldown of 40, rather than 55.

The openings are way too weird, don't synergize well with anything, requires everyone use a B12 so if you have any parry users in your group, you're just handicapping yourself using this. The damage is also dog-shit.

jorb wrote:Rip Apart now gives 7.5% openings to all colors, rather than 5%, and has a cooldown of 60, rather than 80.

Still fucking GARBAGE, 6 FUCKING IP cost, I really don't get what you want from this move.
jorb wrote:Go for the Jugular now costs 2+2 IP, instead of 3+3.

See above, still dog-shit.

jorb wrote:Storm of Swords now has a cooldown of 50, rather than 70, and gives 30% Yellow opening, rather than 20%.

Only time this move is useful is if you're surrounded, and if you are, you're already dead. Needs to deal most damage to the initial target, and reduce to later targets, and be balanced off of that.

jorb wrote:Take Aim's cooldown now increases the more IP you already have when using it. The cost is now (30 + IP * 2) * μ.

Really unneeded nerf. Tons of people only put in 1 point so they could get to think.
roboboy33 wrote:You should add a maximum cooldown, if you have a sizeable amount of ip from using think and accidentally use take aim it can leave you with a very long cooldown.

I like this.

jorb wrote:Quick Barrage now has a cooldown of 20, rather than 35.

I honestly don't really want to see this move being used because it seems like it could be oppressive, but I guess it gives pure MC users some alternatives to the nerfed sting.

jorb wrote:Low Blow now deals 20 damage, instead of 10.

Don't really think it changes anything, doubt people will take it. You aren't going to be trying to stack IP on someone in melee range, and that's the only usefulness I see out of this move.

jorb wrote:Kick now deals 25 damage, instead of 15, and 20% Yellow opening, instead of 17.5%, but also costs one IP.

Uppercuts probably still better. idk, maybe this could be used. Haymaker is probably still useless though.

jorb wrote:Steal Thunder can now be used at a little bit of range.

Honestly a little spooked by this. Means 3+ people could stack opening on someone they're chasing at once. The IP stealing thing is still busted as all hell though, I assume (as in completely and utterly worthless), so maybe not too worried.

jorb wrote:Bloodlust and Death or Glory now have block weights of 75%, rather than 50%.

Bloodlust was already kinda spooky under certain circumstances. Not sure if it really needed this. Death or Glory is still dog-shit. Waste of a slot.

jorb wrote:Aggro range is now 17.5 tiles, rather than 12.5

Cool. I assume people can still auto-log, but cool.

jorb wrote:Jump, Quick Dodge, and Sidestep all have cooldowns of 25, rather than 30.

Considering quick dodge and sidestep were the only real options to blue and green defence, this is a pretty big buff, but probably needed. It's pretty tough to defend against someone chasing you down.

jorb wrote:Made it so that you fall off your horse if you take combat damage while stunned due to the "Raw Hide" effect.

I assume this removes the stun of raw hide, replacing it with the fall-down stun? Could honestly be a buff to horses, which they absolutely do not need. It's really easy to chase people down if you have horses and superior numbers.

jorb wrote:Looked at why the trolls cause crazy caveins, and hopefully they should be a bit more reasonable now.

Neat.

jorb wrote:You may now walk onto empty construction areas. That should mean that sign posts are now less useful in combat.

Cool.

jorb wrote:You may now use Shift + Ctrl + Left-Click to transfer all items of a particular type from one inventory to another. Default client best client. Update your clients for this

Why. Just use shift+alt+left click like every custom client ever. Then you can also have ctrl+alt+left click to drop all items of a particular type.

Most of the combat stuff was me just thinking about the effects and not testing, so take it with a grain of salt.
DDDsDD999

Postby roboboy33 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:29 am

Granger wrote:
roboboy33 wrote:
Take Aim's cooldown now increases the more IP you already have when using it. The cost is now (30 + IP * 2) * μ.

You should add a maximum cooldown, if you have a sizeable amount of ip from using think and accidentally use take aim it can leave you with a very long cooldown.

As the idea seems to be to discourage blindly stacking IP: please no.

at 15 ip if you have a normal deck with 1aim/5think you end up with a 7.2s cooldown, I agree that blindly stacking ip is not a good thing, but being killed because of accidentally using take aim is bad.
what the fuck say
roboboy33

Postby digzol » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:31 am

Can't aggro through open gates now...

digzol

Postby Kaios » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:38 am

nanoswimz wrote:In pvp, only sting and cleave are used as finishers. Full circle/sideswipe cant break armor at medium-high levels of openings. With take aim nerf, its almost impossible get enough coins to use finishers such as cleave. I just tryed, its terrible. At 4 coins take aim cd is bigger than think. So now i forced to take 5 aim/5 think, when i was comfy with only 5 take aim previous patch. But anyway, this update better than nothing.

You're half-right but wrong about full circle you can actually do a lot of damage with it and the flex/uppercut punch combo can be quite annoying as well. You shouldn't really disregard the unarmed attacks completely, don't forget they have armor penetration.

Although admittedly I hate the punch-spam fest that fights seem to be at the moment, it's a bit tactless and more favourable towards higher stat characters when it's easier to deal a hundred low damage hits than it is to get the bigger hits so I agree with you in that regard.

P.S.

Kaios

Postby jordancoles » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:12 am

DeadlyPencil wrote:
jordancoles wrote:
DeadlyPencil wrote:thanks you for revisiting combat again.

i can already see some moves i want to try that would have never been used before because they were to crappy, storm of swords, kick.

Regarding your raw hide change. iam a tad worried people will just run over and flex the person then cleave since flex does no damage. maybe make it so its any attack that would trigger parry or combat med etc.

No one is going to cleave someone during a rawhide lol

More like punch x2 to deal a bit of dmg

punch is the last move i would do on someone who is raw hided after this change. take aim or flex would be worlds better. why would u want them to get unstuck faster?

The main goal is to get them off of their horse and from the patch notes it sounds like any dmg would do that.

It doesn't matter too much about keeping them stuck because chances are that if they're running away on their horse instead of sprinting straight for you it's because you outnumber them--that and I don't feel like using rawhide twice if it wears off sooner than I would have liked

Can always right click > dismount as well, but if you can deal openings with some punches and knock them off at the same time I'd rather do that
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MrPunchers » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:48 am

Kaios wrote:
nanoswimz wrote:In pvp, only sting and cleave are used as finishers. Full circle/sideswipe cant break armor at medium-high levels of openings. With take aim nerf, its almost impossible get enough coins to use finishers such as cleave. I just tryed, its terrible. At 4 coins take aim cd is bigger than think. So now i forced to take 5 aim/5 think, when i was comfy with only 5 take aim previous patch. But anyway, this update better than nothing.

You're half-right but wrong about full circle you can actually do a lot of damage with it and the flex/uppercut punch combo can be quite annoying as well. You shouldn't really disregard the unarmed attacks completely, don't forget they have armor penetration.

Although admittedly I hate the punch-spam fest that fights seem to be at the moment, it's a bit tactless and more favourable towards higher stat characters when it's easier to deal a hundred low damage hits than it is to get the bigger hits so I agree with you in that regard.

P.S.

How 2 get?
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby jordancoles » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:49 am

MrPunchers wrote:
Kaios wrote:

P.S.

How 2 get?

Kill shit
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Kaios » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:54 am

can confirm boar and auroch give it, probably moose too
Kaios

Postby digzol » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:59 am

Kaios wrote:can confirm boar and auroch give it, probably moose too

and bear
digzol